Re: Angels and Airwaves / Tom Delonge General Discussion Thread

Okay I've asked this before on this thread so sorry for my laziness, but does anyone know anything about Sekret Machines? I know what it is, but I want to know how legitimate it is. I've seen some press on it (most notably GQ which seems really legit) and Tom is doing his usual promises of grandeur. He's claiming that his book is the culmination of interviews with top secret officials where he will release information that will blow everyone's minds, delivered via fictional characters. He actually says in the GQ interview that "this isn't the typical tom BS, this is real stuff, not conspiracies" (paraphrased). Has anyone actually read it? Is there other press/reviews/discussions elsewhere that suggest that this could be a serious project, not just one of Tom's whims?

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Tom: " i have the biggest secret of all time and for only $15.99 you can have it presented to you in a series of short stories meant to produce numerous sequels cause i want my own franchises like marvel and star wars. and for an additional six dollars you can have some music that is completely unrelated in everything but name because i want an excuse to throw bundles together for money"

carlcockatoo wrote:Tom: " i have the biggest secret of all time and for only $15.99 you can have it presented to you in a series of short stories meant to produce numerous sequels cause i want my own franchises like marvel and star wars. and for an additional six dollars you can have some music that is completely unrelated in everything but name because i want an excuse to throw bundles together for money"

Maybe its the way he keeps presenting it. Maybe its the way he keeps going about it. But something just comes off as greedy with the whole thing. Maybe he did un-cover something great. Something wonderous. Something completely true. But then he had to tie it in with a bunch of shit thats not true. Something involving teenagers... like all that twlight and hunger games shit.. It makes it hard for me to care. He keeps on mentioning how its some on going thing. But again it becomes ridiculous. You need to buy the book, then the EP you know cause everyone wants to listen to 6 songs that will take up a total of 20 minutes, for a book thats going to take you 10 hours to read.

Even reading 3 sentences from the GQ article i've become completely turned off. None of this is why I loved Tom Delonge in the past. None of what he talks about has any value added that hes involved. I have no desire for anything but the EPS. If he even bothers to put effort into that music anymore...

If he wants this shit to work he needs to detach him self from the whole process. Let the actual writers talk about their book. Let the actual people involved talk.. Disney doesn't have its CEO do all the interviews for the new Star Wars or Captain America Movie. Its great he's doing what he loves. But if To The Stars is to be a legit production company. He's not doing it right...

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

MH8.2.2011 wrote:
carlcockatoo wrote:Tom: " i have the biggest secret of all time and for only $15.99 you can have it presented to you in a series of short stories meant to produce numerous sequels cause i want my own franchises like marvel and star wars. and for an additional six dollars you can have some music that is completely unrelated in everything but name because i want an excuse to throw bundles together for money"

If he wants this shit to work he needs to detach him self from the whole process. Let the actual writers talk about their book. Let the actual people involved talk.. Disney doesn't have its CEO do all the interviews for the new Star Wars or Captain America Movie. Its great he's doing what he loves. But if To The Stars is to be a legit production company. He's not doing it right...

It's not the same at all. Disney's CEO didn't help to create Star Wars or Captain America. To The Stars is so small at this point, Tom has a major part in everything they've done.

Also, people just aren't going to click to read interviews with other people involved like they are with Tom. They're so unknown that no one cares what they say at this point honestly. Surely, an interview with Tom DeLonge will get more clicks than an interview with whoever the hell else is involved. I know where you're coming from, but that's my two cents.

the ep is out now

As im listening

Overload - Doesnt sound like anything Tom's put out. And its NOT the same chorus over and over again. Actually has some fluctuation.
Artillery - Immediately sounds like something from love. Then vocals come in and it doesnt? (Toms going for some unconventional vocal melodies). Oh shit, suddenly got very rock. And now back to love. Wait wtf, now its a ballad. Okay tom.... lol.
Voyager - Summer-y. Rocky chorus. Synth heavy chorus. So far its a tom song, not digging this one too hard.
Chasing Shadows - the 18 and a... song. Instrumental orientated so first. THIS CHORUS. Oh my Tom. High pitched Tom is good Tom. This one is very synth heavy. Almost entirely. Oh wait the end is guitar heavy.

So a lot of these songs sound like love songs (the topic, not the albums), at least i think.

Overall. Very rock and guitar oriented. Id highly recommend a listen to hear the 'new' tom.

plopbellie wrote:
Coffee Shampoo wrote:I purchased my copy (yeah, I know lol), the songs are actually pretty decent on the first listen, I did not pay attention to the lyrics though. Chasing Shadows is one piece of a fucking great melody while Voyager seems to be the weakest song.

exactly how i feel. if the opening to chasing shadows was better id be in love because the chorus is on point.

I'm on the 2nd listen, the lyrics for overload are shit haha but I'm digging Artillery's lyrics and that distorted loud guitar is great, if this song was faster it could totally be BCR's
I'll keep my head exploding,
And keep on loving you,
Feed me; I'm your parasite.