Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

Na Na Na Na wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCTM37-OwnI&feature=youtu.be&t=53s

No comments :lol:

breathwish wrote:Look at his output post-BCR butthurt.

2003: amazing album that is Tom-led but great stuff from Mark, too
2006: amazing album that is totally written by Mark (I think?)
Nothing for 5 years
2011: great album that is Tom-led, decent stuff from Mark
2012: good EP that is Tom-led
2016: garbage album where Mark needs song writers to even write it
2017: same as above

The guy has been trending downwards for like a decade. So no, I wouldn't say it's the same guy.

Anyway, song was better than the normal trite garbage, but still bad. Lyrics were awful, guitar work is bland and the intro is pretty similar to No Future and all those other songs. Bridge is fine melody wise, but lyrics are terrible.

Nothing else needs to be said.
I'll keep my head exploding,
And keep on loving you,
Feed me; I'm your parasite.

And she said... wrote:
TheOctopus wrote:
And she said... wrote:
plopbellie wrote:yay the page formatting is back to normal. can we stop quoting now please lol

Okay.

he asked you to stop asshole

Shit. Sorry!

Misery makes me miserable :'(

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:
El Salvador wrote:And as a reaction to previous post: Apart from the fact that it's very hard to distinguish what is pop and what is not, there's indeed nothing wrong with pop music. In fact some of the most brilliant, innovative and creative music ever was made by pop bands like The Beatles, Beach Boys, Prince, etc. etc. But why their music still stands out today is because they combined innovation/experimentation with pop themes that everybody can relate to. Something blink at its best moments did brilliantly as well. Since California however they have only those pop themes, and not the experimentation side that added that extra little something. I think the problem people have with California is that lots of songs sound the same on it. They lack the unique character that blink songs had before then, making them sound like just another pop punk band instead of the unique quality of blink-182. There's a couple of songs that stand out, but the vast majority is just basically a carbon copy of the previous one.

This is exactly it, for me. Back in blink's heyday enema and TOYPAJ were novel at the time, glossy pop punk that still had authenticity and bite somehow. Then they throw in Untitled and are somehow able to maintain the catchiness, grow up the aesthetic a bit, and push their sound forward. There was always a combination of catchy/authenticity/innovation which is what I think made blink unique. They were a band that you felt like were no different than you and your buddies in the garage, but their songs were catchier than yours and they still had the chops and the vision to push forward. I think a lot of that authenticity came from Mark and Tom's friendship however, and when that fizzled so did a lot of magic of the band.

Look, I am fine with a band who has been around for decades and hit "legend" status to take some victory laps. I would always rather get new music from my favorite bands than not, even if it doesn't hit the same quality as heyday stuff. Neighborhoods and DED actually, IMO, sounded like a band who had settled in to what they were and are now, who weren't gonna do anything groundbreaking but were going to soldier on. I think if they would have recorded a full record properly like they promised, it would have been REALLY solid.

But this blink iteration feels different, and I think it's because its not a band comfortable with its legacy just doing what they do, but rather a transparent attempt to say "okay what made us successful, let's do that" led by an outsider (Feldmann, not Skiba). It's not authentic. I think the right tact for incorporating Skiba should have been: you guys write what comes naturally, don't try and be anything, and if the final product doesn't feel "blink" enough we'll tweak. Instead, by all accounts it was this crash course in mimicking blink 182, pushed by Feldmann, which came off as inauthentic. Here's to really hoping that they let Skiba and Mark do their thing instead of forcing them into this box next time. It should feel like blink, sure, but I don't think that result necessitates a whip-cracking "WRITE BLINK SONGS" mentality.

Spoiler: show

Na Na Na Na wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCTM37-OwnI&feature=youtu.be&t=53s

felt the same way

Dare I say the "deluxe" california songs sound like green day should be singing them?

Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Na Na Na Na wrote:
Kyle wrote:Dare I say the "deluxe" california songs sound like green day should be singing them?

I can truly feel your pain in that pic... But can you feel mine?

:skull:

Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Kind of annoying that they wasted a really good riff on a 35 second joke song.

"Tom and Travis are my brothers and I'd do anything for those guys. When all of this is said and done, we'll all be together looking back going 'fuck, we made it'."
– Mark, UC2

"So many other bands just fight, they don't get along and hate each other, but when things come down the road that are hard and gnarly... It's just us three, I feel like it doesn't matter, I feel like we can do anything"
– Tom, UC2

What went wrong?

If that was a joke song, what was the punchline?

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus