Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

I thought at this stage I'd miss Tom more. I don't. If Tom was still the Tom I remember from yesteryear i'd say otherwise. But even in the last few live performances I did watch , it wasn't the same. It wasn't what made blink performances different. So what we were left with was a guy who can't perform his own songs live for shit. To me thats not enough to miss someone for.

I do hope in the future the label has a little less control over whats released. I don't care if its toypaj forever this point forward. So long as its toypaj written entirely by blink members.

I dont think it hurt giving Skiba more free reign on songs. Letting him do what he does best: Making you hate yourself while you dance and sing to a catchy beat.

I was listening to California on my way to work. Still digging it. Im actually starting to like Bored To Death again. Just a loveable energy to the whole song.

I'd say go for it Kay. I've seen blink a total of 6 times now. 4 Times with Tom. And despite a missing humor bit. Song quality wise its the best ive seen post hiatus.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:I thought at this stage I'd miss Tom more. I don't. If Tom was still the Tom I remember from yesteryear i'd say otherwise. But even in the last few live performances I did watch , it wasn't the same. It wasn't what made blink performances different. So what we were left with was a guy who can't perform his own songs live for shit. To me thats not enough to miss someone for.

I do hope in the future the label has a little less control over whats released. I don't care if its toypaj forever this point forward. So long as its toypaj written entirely by blink members.

I dont think it hurt giving Skiba more free reign on songs. Letting him do what he does best: Making you hate yourself while you dance and sing to a catchy beat.

I was listening to California on my way to work. Still digging it. Im actually starting to like Bored To Death again. Just a loveable energy to the whole song.

I'd say go for it Kay. I've seen blink a total of 6 times now. 4 Times with Tom. And despite a missing humor bit. Song quality wise its the best ive seen post hiatus.

Totally feel this. I think BtD and San Diego have actually come around as my favorites on the album.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

Yeah, it's been slow and somewhat harsh coming to terms that Tom won't be the same as his 2003 self. I was so locked in on their Untitled phase that I was expecting Untitled 2.0 in 2009. That was an insanely high hope. When neighborhoods came out, I could totally tell something was different and the blatant mash-ups of AVA and +44 were so apparent. In my head I just figured they'd go back to old blink.

Coming to terms with it all has been hard, especially with Tom being replaced, but I thoroughly enjoy both Neighborhoods and Calofornia. I see each album for what it is and can enjoy the good moments on both.

I'm happy for Tom and I'm happy for Mark because they are both doing what they love. I hope to see Tom tour with AVA again like he keeps mentioning once he's done with his stuff. I also hope to see him tour again with blink later on down the line. I definitely see it as a possibility and I still don't rule out the possible 4-piece that could be through combining Matt, Mark, Tom, Travis.

As for new blink music involving Tom, I see that as the most far-fetched of my "ideas". While I would like that to happen, I think that Matt is still grounding himself with the band and that turnaround of leaving and rejoining for Tom would feel almost as insincere as it was in '09 (looking back on it). I think they'll record another album with Matt and hopefully the future holds some new material with Tom.

At that point though, they'll be pushing 50+ and will be so far out of the spotlight that I really only think the hardcore fans would know of it or listen to it. Others wouldn't care because of Tom in and out of the band.

Another thought: If blink were ever to be inducted to the Rock & Rock Hall of Fame, how would that go down? Based on recent events.

I don't think they're getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Especially given the direction they're going.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

breathwish wrote:I don't think they're getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Especially given the direction they're going.

I actually think they WILL get into the rock and roll HOF. I mean blink is HUGE. It'll be one of those awkward things where Mark, Travis, Tom AND Matt will be up there and it wouldn't shock me at all if they do one performance all together as a one-time-only thing with all 4 on stage. Much like Jason Newsted on stage with Metallica for their rock and roll HOF thing. Awkward, but kind of awesome in a way.

twitter

So a bit of a come to Jesus moment for me, because I have fully supported and continue to support the band going forward in whatever way they want it to, but I have come to the following conclusion: I miss the shit out of Tom, I don't love Matt in blink, and California does very little for me.

To me, this "California" era just has no creative drive. It has been said here a thousand times but it really does feel like them trying to put something accessible together that everyone will like. It is missing that magic that every other blink album before it had. The early stuff was fun and sloppy. then we had this brash, rebellious, catchy, bratty pop-punk era where half the magic of the songs were that it felt like two best friends picking up instruments and making it big. Then they had a creative renaissance with Untitled. Even Neighborhoods/DED era had a really attractive quality to me. It kind of felt like a band who had been through the ringer - touring in a van, fame, fortune, break ups, divorces, plan crashes, drug addiction, etc. - but had some how made it out alive. They just sounded.... settled... relaxed... and that's in a good way.

This era is just doing nothing for me. Save a few songs (HISALP, Cynical, San Diego) the songs on California feel absolutely devoid of all passion (if you can imagine. it's easy if you try!). I wish they'd try and SAY SOMETHING again. What do you want to tell the world? They seem to have lost this. Losing Tom, the more ambitious of the group, clearly played a big role in that. California is a refreshing, easy-digestible callback, but its missing the magic that was Mark and Tom's friendship.

Re: Matt, Alkaline Trio has been in my top 5 favorite bands of all time since I was about 16 (along with blink, brand new, pixies, and Against Me if you MUST know), and Matt had this fucking creepy/mysterious, yet down-to-earth kind of vibe to him. It was unique. Matt in blink just doesn't fit. Hearing him sing Tom songs barely does anything for me, and his aesthetic is a strange choice for blink. What i was HOPING when they announced his inclusion was that he would bring his own vibe to create something awesome, but that hasn't really happened.

Look, the magic seems to be gone for me, but that doesn't mean they can't get it back. I will continue to support blink cause they are and always have been and always will be my favorite band. Just hoping for something more...

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:So a bit of a come to Jesus moment for me, because I have fully supported and continue to support the band going forward in whatever way they want it to, but I have come to the following conclusion: I miss the shit out of Tom, I don't love Matt in blink, and California does very little for me.

To me, this "California" era just has no creative drive. It has been said here a thousand times but it really does feel like them trying to put something accessible together that everyone will like. It is missing that magic that every other blink album before it had. The early stuff was fun and sloppy. then we had this brash, rebellious, catchy, bratty pop-punk era where half the magic of the songs were that it felt like two best friends picking up instruments and making it big. Then they had a creative renaissance with Untitled. Even Neighborhoods/DED era had a really attractive quality to me. It kind of felt like a band who had been through the ringer - touring in a van, fame, fortune, break ups, divorces, plan crashes, drug addiction, etc. - but had some how made it out alive. They just sounded.... settled... relaxed... and that's in a good way.

This era is just doing nothing for me. Save a few songs (HISALP, Cynical, San Diego) the songs on California feel absolutely devoid of all passion (if you can imagine. it's easy if you try!). I wish they'd try and SAY SOMETHING again. What do you want to tell the world? They seem to have lost this. Losing Tom, the more ambitious of the group, clearly played a big role in that. California is a refreshing, easy-digestible callback, but its missing the magic that was Mark and Tom's friendship.

Re: Matt, Alkaline Trio has been in my top 5 favorite bands of all time since I was about 16 (along with blink, brand new, pixies, and Against Me if you MUST know), and Matt had this fucking creepy/mysterious, yet down-to-earth kind of vibe to him. It was unique. Matt in blink just doesn't fit. Hearing him sing Tom songs barely does anything for me, and his aesthetic is a strange choice for blink. What i was HOPING when they announced his inclusion was that he would bring his own vibe to create something awesome, but that hasn't really happened.

Look, the magic seems to be gone for me, but that doesn't mean they can't get it back. I will continue to support blink cause they are and always have been and always will be my favorite band. Just hoping for something more...

This is exactly how I feel about this record.
I'll keep my head exploding,
And keep on loving you,
Feed me; I'm your parasite.

I was excited initially. I didnt hate BTD, didnt love it either. Rabbit Hole was cute, and I loved No Future. then the record came out and I realised how 2 dimensional it was and it just killed any drive I had for the new approach.
Since the release I've lost a lot of respect for Mark and Travis, letting Feldmann push them in these directions and clearly caring more about fame and money than the music itself. I don't really blame Matt at all, he was in a ridiculous position and I think he's done the best he could under the circumstances. He is capable of much better than California, and he's a great musician who I've respected for years.
I still think Tom is crazy town banana pants and I don't want to go back to the way it was, but I am 100% on the miss Tom in blink train. hell, the fact that I prefer the last few AVA releases over California (by, like... a huge amount) says it all for me.

Tom is self indulgent and arrogant and has ridiculous lyrics - but I still prefer the music he craps out by himself then the 5-seconds-of-summer-slap-dash pile of shit that is california.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Dookie wrote:I think it's funny seeing the hate California gets after seeing people so excited and loving it and saying how great it was when it came out.

California is doing the same thing Neighborhoods did. I remember 95% of fans thinking Neighborhoods was beyond amazing when it first came out. Months later, people started saying the album was just "okay." Years later, fans are saying, "I don't know why everyone hates Neighboorhoods. It's really good." People will probably loop back to this album and discuss how "fun" it was years from now.

Elevator wrote:
breathwish wrote:I don't think they're getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Especially given the direction they're going.

I actually think they WILL get into the rock and roll HOF. I mean blink is HUGE. It'll be one of those awkward things where Mark, Travis, Tom AND Matt will be up there and it wouldn't shock me at all if they do one performance all together as a one-time-only thing with all 4 on stage. Much like Jason Newsted on stage with Metallica for their rock and roll HOF thing. Awkward, but kind of awesome in a way.

I never thought they had a chance to get in. I mean, they're definitely one of the biggest acts in their genre. But look at another band of their genre who got in, Green Day. I think they've always been a more consistent, functional, and all around more talented band than blink, all of which I think would be factors in voting a band into the HOF.

Dookie wrote:I think it's funny seeing the hate California gets after seeing people so excited and loving it and saying how great it was when it came out.

I didn't mean to necessarily hate on it. It's a fun catchy record with some good songs. It just doesn't have that magic for me. I listened to it the same way I listen to all time low: "yea, i guess this is fun, but its vapid."

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:

I didn't mean to necessarily hate on it. It's a fun catchy record with some good songs. It just doesn't have that magic for me. I listened to it the same way I listen to all time low: "yea, i guess this is fun, but its vapid."

If any band not named blink-182 came out with California, I would love the album--and I still do--I just want better from them.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

For sure. It's funny, the songs that stick out most for me are the ones that actually mean something: Cynical - which seems to be Mark struggling with his insecurities in a really real feeling way, Home is Such a Lonely Place - which deals with Mark's real feelings towards his family, and San Diego - Tom, obviously. (Side note, I also love Left Alone because that one feels like an Alkaline Trio song to me... LET MATT DO HIS THING!).

I dunno, looking back over the tracklist again at work, I really do like the album. There's just something missing, that X-factor, that realness. I honestly think there's so many cool things Mark could write about too: growing older, insecurities ala cynical, boredom with his more tame life and achieving such success at a relatively early age. There's lots of inherent humor in that stuff too that can feel really blink while also not feeling forced and pandering.

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:
If any band not named blink-182 came out with California, I would love the album--and I still do--I just want better from them.

This says it all. Us super fans overly crazy expectations over. We love them SOOO much we dig their MUSIC so much in our heads it reaches a level that no one in reality could fully satisfy. In every case its they changed to much or they didnt change enough.. No matter the band

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs