Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

So I posted this over on Reddit too, but after seeing them in Milwaukee, I was just a little disappointed. In short, hearing Matt sing Tom songs just doesn't feel the same to me. I don't enjoy them as much. Even hearing deeper cuts like Not Now just doesn't get my dick hard like it used to. I'll be seeing them in Chicago, so hopefully that will be better, but I must say I am a little shocked by how heavily they lean on Tom-led songs for non-single set choices.

Here's what I propose: If i had it my way, the set list would skew MUCH more heavily to California (instead of the 4 songs not including joke songs we've been getting), and, when it comes to the older stuff, 75% Mark-led songs. So drop first date, play go instead of down; play Wendy Clear instead of Dumpweed; Rollercoaster/Everytime I look for you instead of Reckless Abandon; Here's your letter instead of not now; Going Away to College instead of Dysentery Gary. It would suck to miss out on classic songs like Dumpweed, but, to me, hearing Skiba sing Tom-led non-singles gives it that "blink 182 cover band" feel that haters brings up - and this is coming from a huge Matt Skiba fan! Plus, Matt is much better at harmonies, so hearing him support Mark in that way for songs like EILFY or GATC would sound amazing. How do you guys feel about this?

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Elevator wrote:If I had it my way, they wouldn't play nearly any Tom songs from the past at all. Do like Dammit, ATST, Rock Show, and any other Mark-heavy songs you want, but that's stupid. They're counting on blink casuals to show up and the fans won't come if they don't play their greatest hits.

They do need to keep the singles because of that, but I think they can replace Dumpweed and Dysentary Gary and Wishing Well (srsly the fuck are they doing that one for), etc. Change the deep cut to mark ones or split ones, not the singles.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Elevator wrote:If I had it my way, they wouldn't play nearly any Tom songs from the past at all. Do like Dammit, ATST, Rock Show, and any other Mark-heavy songs you want, but that's stupid. They're counting on blink casuals to show up and the fans won't come if they don't play their greatest hits.

Wait hold that. All The Small Things a 'Mark heavy-song'? It's sung entirely by Tom, and it's about his then girlfriend/now wife. If there's any 'Tom song', it's that.

I remember a few months ago, when the album was about to be released, they did an acoustic set for the radio. Just when they wanted to start 'All The Small Things', the interviewer asked Mark what the song was about and he didn't want to say 'well it's about this former bandmember's girlfriend who we had a huge falling out with twice', so he sort of quickly went over it like: 'well, shall we just play it?' That moment was telling for me. :)
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

El Salvador wrote:

Wait hold that. All The Small Things a 'Mark heavy-song'? It's sung entirely by Tom, and it's about his then girlfriend/now wife. If there's any 'Tom song', it's that.

I remember a few months ago, when the album was about to be released, they did an acoustic set for the radio. Just when they wanted to start 'All The Small Things', the interviewer asked Mark what the song was about and he didn't want to say 'well it's about this former bandmember's girlfriend who we had a huge falling out with twice', so he sort of quickly went over it like: 'well, shall we just play it?' That moment was telling for me. :)

I said ATST because it's a blink staple that plebs/casuals will expect to hear because it's one of the 3 songs they know some of the words to.

twitter

I think it's pretty awesome that The Chainsmokers mention blink-182 in that new song of theirs "Closer." It's just a brief shout out in the second verse, but it's pretty rad ....
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music