Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

I feel like when this was released, a majority of people were expressing how California was way better than Neighborhoods.

I personally think they are on par with each other. Both have missing elements but I enjoy them equally for what they are.

Neighborhoods seemed to have a more lasting effect though. I remember playing that months afterwards. California not so much. I need to revisit both soon.

And she said... wrote:I see ATST equal to Rock Show and First Date in plasticity.

Idk why but I have always considered Rock Show more authentic than the other two. I know it's the same sentiment and all of writing a throwaway pop punk anthem. But idk there's something about Rock Show that at least comes across as heartfelt.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

It's one of those arguments that will never really reach a consensus, but it's kind of unfair to shit on California because it's obviously in some ways not a blink record at all. I think it's great that they're enjoying life and made a catchy fun album, but there's very little craftsmanship to this record at all and it's way, way too thickly influenced by Feldmann. That is really telling.

I think if Mark and Matt really took the time to do something meaningful and wistful instead of taking the John Feldmann Crash Course In Marketability we'd be having a much different discussion. It doesn't feel like they challenged themselves at all on this record which is a positive in that there are some wonderfully catchy, snappy "classic" blink jams there, but beneath the candy coating there's not much of substance to be had.

But fuck Tom, right?

twitter

I think the band has reached the point of their career that they're not trying to make that masterpiece career-defining life-changing record anymore, but making records just because. I'll bet that the next records from Jimmy Eat World or Taking Back Sunday aren't going to be the same level of career-defining that Bleed American or Louder Now were. Yet, we're nit-picking the fuck out of California because they didn't kill themselves making it like they did with self-titled.

Christian wrote:I think the band has reached the point of their career that they're not trying to make that masterpiece career-defining life-changing record anymore, but making records just because. I'll bet that the next records from Jimmy Eat World or Taking Back Sunday aren't going to be the same level of career-defining that Bleed American or Louder Now were. Yet, we're nit-picking the fuck out of California because they didn't kill themselves making it like they did with self-titled.

Jimmy Eat World & Taking Back Sunday are like 1/1,000,000th as popular as blink was, so the judgment and criticism are merited.

Plus this is a blink forum so what else are we supposed to do?

twitter

I still am loving California. However, there are definitely songs that are surface level and those that are going to have staying power beyond the album cycle.

Songs that I can see making a lasting impact:
Cynical (obviously)
Bored to Death - It's a fantastic single and I am still in love with that bridge.
San Diego - Definitely one of the few deep emotional heavyweights of the album.
I can see TOTTM or Kings of the Weekend becoming a fan favorite/live staple in the vein of Reckless Abandon.
Los Angeles - The band members themselves seem to have a blast playing this one. I can see it either becoming a live staple or one of those songs that occasionally gets thrown into a set here or there.

Songs that I love that will probably never see the stage:
Teenage Satellites and Left Alone. I think both of these songs are fantastic and to me connect with that kind of experimentation found in Untitled/Neighborhoods/DED.

I don't understand the hatred for She's Out of Her Mind. I just don't get it and probably never will understand. If you hate that song you might as well hate Rock Show and First Date. (But to be fair I know a lot of people DO hate those songs so I guess I kind of get it?)

Sorry these are my exhausted ramblings.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

After listening through California numerous times, I've come to the conclusion that (at least, for me) this is an extremely forgettable album...

Cynical: Easily one of my favorite blink songs of all time.

Bored To Death: A great first single, but after listening to it multiple times it leaves me feeling bored to death.

She's Out Of Her Mind: Some poppy bullshit.

Los Angeles: Sounds like Mark sucking off Fall Out Boy.

Sober: Would have sounded better if it was written solely by a drunken Matt Skiba who was simultaneously drop kicking Patrick Stump directly in the teeth while he's holding his shitty "four leaf clover" lyric in his hand.

Built This Pool: Eh, nice TOYPAJ try, Mark.

No Future: A decent effort, but I feel a better producer might have actually been able to pull it off believably.

Home Is Such A Lonely Place: No. Just, no.

Kings Of The Weekend: Might have been okay on a blink album released between TOYPAJ and the Untitled album.

Teenage Satellites: Absolutely forgettable.

Left Alone: Horrible, except for the chorus, which may have been the best part of the entire album.

Rabbit Hole: I'm annoyed every time I listen to this song. Dear Mark, Shut Up! I can't listen no more...

San Diego: I only almost started liking this after finding out it was about Tom...still extremely cringe worthy, though.

The Only Thing That Matters: Is the fact that this is a blatant rip off of Don't Leave Me.

California: Sounds like someone paid Mark to write a song that would accompany a "Visit California!" commercial. Seriously, I can't sit through this song for more than 5 seconds without wanting to blow my brains out.

Brohemian Rhapsody: Just bring Tom back already...
Last edited by tyler182 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okay. Let me just get the asshole out of me for a minute. Hold on. ...... Okay. It's gone. But only for a second.

What I want to know is what type of songs you want to hear. Like, I understand people don't like the Feldmann Crash Course style as somebody put it, but what kind of songs need to be on the album for it to work? Like, do you want more San Diego-type songs? Do you guys miss the darkness? Do you want Mark to sing more Fighting The Gravity-type songs? As for Matt, do you want more Alkaline Trio-style songs? I'm actually REALLY happy that when Matt sings, his parts don't sound like Alkaline Trio. Basically EVERYTHING Matt has done outside of Alkaline Trio, while different, usually incorporates the same melodies, like Tom has been doing. I'm super happy that didn't happen on California.

I'm guessing people just don't like the sunshine-y, summer albums. I don't see what's wrong with that type of an album, but I guess that's why it doesn't bother me. I guess one thing I don't understand is why people seem to view "dark" albums as mature. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I guess that's what makes me different from everyone else on here.

I guess I'm just enjoying the fact that my wife actually doesn't mind it when I play California. She used to hate, HATE HATE blink. Like I've said before, she can't stand Tom. So it is a cool little bonding thing we have. But it's just cool to be able to listen blink and her being fine with it.

She actually really likes Bored to Death. I remember when I first heard it and I was like ... oh no .... I'm not really feeling it. And she was like "I actually don't mind it at all. It's not bad." And that's REALLY good, coming from her. Lol ....

Now she actually goes OUT OF HER WAY to listen to the song sometimes. I think blink have hit something here. The fact that they are able to cater to people outside of the blink sphere is a good thing.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

I think a good portion of this fourm has hit a level of cynicism to where they dont actually really like blink at all anymore. But the feeling of nostalgia, the positive vibes from those feelings still resonates with them. Those feelings being associated with blink keep them here. Keep them listening. Anything blink releases, with any set of members will still judged and left in mediocrity. If it had Tom, fuck even if they brought Scott back. Even if they did a pure self-titled part 2.

Goes like this: On Release: ::Blink Goggles:: (OMG THIS is great) ---- A few weeks later ---> "I dont like it nearly as much but its ok" ---- a month later ----> "this sucks self-titled's way better"

(use this system for anything blink will ever release again no matter what... )

But hey thats just my crack-pot theory.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:I think a good portion of this fourm has hit a level of cynicism to where they dont actually really like blink at all anymore. But the feeling of nostalgia, the positive vibes from those feelings still resonates with them. Those feelings being associated with blink keep them here. Keep them listening. Anything blink releases, with any set of members will still judged and left in mediocrity. If it had Tom, fuck even if they brought Scott back. Even if they did a pure self-titled part 2.

Goes like this: On Release: ::Blink Goggles:: (OMG THIS is great) ---- A few weeks later ---> "I dont like it nearly as much but its ok" ---- a month later ----> "this sucks self-titled's way better"

(use this system for anything blink will ever release again no matter what... )

But hey thats just my crack-pot theory.

Neighborhoods timeline:

On release: "This album fucking sounds like AVA, fuck Tom, I maybe like 1 song. It's alright." - Everybody but Elevator

After 3 years: "Still not a fan at all. Sounds like AVA. Fuck Tom." - Everybody but Elevator

After 5 years: "This album is actually alright I guess, especially compared to California, but man, fuck Tom." - Everybody but Elevator

California, on the other hand, was actually fiercely split at first. If you remember there was definitely a contingent of fans here that just kinda were "meh" about Bored to Death and not really impressed w/ the leak. It took time, but I ended up liking it. I simply will never love it, though, nor do I feel it holds up well. I think most people feel that way too.

But overall, fuck Tom. For real.

twitter

I always liked Neighborhoods.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

I was really adamantly wanting to like California in the beginning and I was really positive about the 'fun' direction, but the album itself was just so forced I just didnt care.
I never disliked neighborhoods, I just had issues with it. I still do, but it has aged well in comparison to other things (Toms solo album, DED and california for example).

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

And she said... wrote:I see ATST equal to Rock Show and First Date in plasticity.

I despise all three of these songs.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Okay. I'm really curious. Other than the Na Na's and the Whoa's and the overly happiness on the album, what about it makes it feel forced or fake?

How does Neighborhoods feel better in comparison?

I'm so confused.

Like, people who hate California, what are your all-time favorite blink songs and then maybe I can make a comparison and see what's up.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Neighborhoods is miles ahead lyrically and in its guitar work, as well as being closer to blink's best sound. In addition, it isn't a pathetic attempt by 40 year olds to capture a sound that they had 15 years ago and talk about girls and how they party on weekends and are teenage satellites, whatever the fuck that means. They also wrote all the material, instead of relying on songwriters that have no business being involved. Neighborhoods has its issues, but a lot less than California.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus