Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

TheOctopus wrote:@Barbs, supposedly they ran out of drumheads and are waiting to reup. Kings Road had a lot of trouble with this shipment, my signed vinyl arrived damaged.. A lot of similar stories on Reddit, and customer service isn't fixing it. Hopefuly your stuff arrives mint.

Thanks, I hadn't heard about that. It sucks your vinyl was damaged, I also got the (unsigned) purple vinyl in the same order with the bundle. I ordered the cassette separately later on and received that on Thursday with no issue. Fingers crossed my stuff arrives with no major issues.

Marmalade Skies wrote:As a hardcore Reel Big Fish fan, I was really overjoyed when Blink referenced one of their songs in "The Only Thing That Matters"

:57 sec
[youtube]https://youtu.be/b5nFGuDkW9o?t=57s[/youtube]

:49 sec
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhRThsUQsg[/youtube]

YES! I loved that too!

Just listened to the album in my car for the first time. I change my mind about the overproduction. It sounds fucking amazing blasting out of my truck speakers.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:The more I hear the album the more I feel like certain songs wouldn't of existed without the song writers. Kings for the weekend and Teenage Satellites specifically.

I really can't help but feel like we're being spoon fed bullshit about how much they loved working with Feldy. His use of song writers is something I've never imagined blink using. It's like " we don't trust any producers. They take away control from us. ". ::Uses producer who takes some control away:: ::makes them write songs they didn't want to write ::

I still remember the neighborhood interviews. They claimed how cool it was working in separate studios. How the difference in music tastes and writting styles was making great music .. How proud they were of the record. Fast forward to last year. We heard some conflicting statements..

Your whole post contradicts itself; you question whether or not "we are being spoonfed bullshit" but then you take the Neighborhoods interview quotes and assume they're all completely true and not "bullshit" for the sake of your question. why would you ever assume that everything someone tells an interviewer in the moment is the truth?

Neighborhoods sucked and they hated working that way, but a reporter asks you a question. Are you going to trash your band, the way you're working, your other bandmate and your album? No, you're going to talk as much good about it as you can. Mark had Feldmann on his podcast. They are genuinely excited about this album. I think they honestly think this is the best direction for the band. But hey, maybe you're right and they don't. But Neighborhoods was trash, and the band has since acknowledged in hindsight that it was trash. hence the contradiction that you mention.

Maybe they're just genuinely excited and two years down the line they will wish they had done some things differently. Who knows?

Feldmann had a vision for what he wanted this record to be and clearly Mark and Travis were on board with that. I think Feldmann executed very well on his vision. That doesn't make the record good though; I think the bigger question is whether or not that vision was the right one for the band. I don't really think it was. I think it relegated Skiba to the sidelines and made the band sound like they're living in the past. I really dislike both of those things, and thus I don't like most of this record.

After a few listens and holding off on the usual knee jerk reactions, I can say I'm not a fan of the record as a whole. One or two tracks possibly, but it is too polished and almost machine like in its production. There's no raw energy, with each song produced to within an inch of its life. There are a couple of songs that wouldn't sound out of place on a Busted record, which is really disappointing as that type of band are poor imitations of Blink generated with the sole purpose of shifting units and making money. I appreciate that Blink do need to sell records, but the result of this approach is an album that is jammed full of melodies and na na na woah's and not much in the way of songwriting craft or ambition to push things forward.

The only song that could fit into that bracket is Los Angeles and that is really poor. There are three songs on the record that feature repeated screams (albeit melodic ones) of an elongated city name. I'd say this comfortably sits at the bottom of the Blink cannon. Whilst it is easy to understand why they made the record this way, it doesn't make it a good album. All subjective and one person's opinion obviously. Just have to hope the EP isn't more of the same.

moko84 wrote:After a few listens and holding off on the usual knee jerk reactions, I can say I'm not a fan of the record as a whole. One or two tracks possibly, but it is too polished and almost machine like in its production. There's no raw energy, with each song produced to within an inch of its life. There are a couple of songs that wouldn't sound out of place on a Busted record, which is really disappointing as that type of band are poor imitations of Blink generated with the sole purpose of shifting units and making money. I appreciate that Blink do need to sell records, but the result of this approach is an album that is jammed full of melodies and na na na woah's and not much in the way of songwriting craft or ambition to push things forward.

The only song that could fit into that bracket is Los Angeles and that is really poor. There are three songs on the record that feature repeated screams (albeit melodic ones) of an elongated city name. I'd say this comfortably sits at the bottom of the Blink cannon. Whilst it is easy to understand why they made the record this way, it doesn't make it a good album. All subjective and one person's opinion obviously. Just have to hope the EP isn't more of the same.

That's exactly it! Songs like Sober are catchy but sound like All Time Low or All American Rejects... It now feels like they are a cover band of themselves.

And Los Angeles... It's like Weatherman and Fighting the Gravity. Awful awful songs.

I can't understand the hate. I don't agree with the process. How some songs were made. I still feel like the album is very blink. You compare this to ToyPaj or Enema its very much in that vein.

If you compare this to self-titled it's different. Not bad. Different. I'm enjoying it. I've literally memorized every song at this point.

To each their own I suppose.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

moko84 wrote:There are a couple of songs that wouldn't sound out of place on a Busted record, which is really disappointing as that type of band are poor imitations of Blink generated with the sole purpose of shifting units and making money.

Charlie Simpson is a gem and you should be ashamed of yourself (?)
But James Bourne is like absynth. It works in small amounts, paired with other musicians and songwriters. By itself he's indigestible. Leo DeHoe if he was as much a Backstreet Boys fan as much as he's a Tom obsessive.*
But I have to say though, some songs, She's Out Of Her Mind and Sober in particular, did give me some Busted flashbacks. Still, those were the kind that makes you think how much of an influence blink was to so many bands. Or maybe Mark got something off that weird McBusted song (yeah, no.)

*Though he's steadily matured in time, and even made some songs that I can actually call decent. Also, that Charlie thing was a half joke. That guy is an awesome talent. His solo records are very good! I'm actually intrigued on what the new Busted will sound like.
Last edited by ramirin on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:I can't understand the hate. I don't agree with the process. How some songs were made. I still feel like the album is very blink. You compare this to ToyPaj or Enema its very much in that vein.

ppl athey always say what blikn is what blink isnt. this ios not bliknk. its not blink without _____ and such.

i really wanna know from these people.. what is blink? if this isn't blink then what is? what would they have to do doto satisfy your endless expectiatikos.

Marmalade Skies wrote:
OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:I can't understand the hate. I don't agree with the process. How some songs were made. I still feel like the album is very blink. You compare this to ToyPaj or Enema its very much in that vein.

ppl athey always say what blikn is what blink isnt. this ios not bliknk. its not blink without _____ and such.

i really wanna know from these people.. what is blink? if this isn't blink then what is? what would they have to do doto satisfy your endless expectiatikos.

uhh I don't know what blink is- when untitled came out and they released songs like Not Now and I'm Lost Without You it basically meant they could do whatever they wanted

on paper California does fit in with a particular blink sound (specifically TOYPAJ) but part of that sound and identity was to do with their youth, angst and freshness
they're not young and it's not angsty or fresh anymore - it's lame and weak and played. I'd let all of these things slide if the song-writing was as strong as Enema or TOYPAJ but it's not - in my eyes.

KayTheMagnificent wrote:... when TOYPAJ came out Mark was almost 30. I wouldn't call that youthful.

I'm not going to draw a line of where youthfulness starts and ends. In 2001 they were still riding high off their mainstream success and there was excitement and conviction in the songs they were writing (even in the label service songs like "Rock Show" and "First Date"). California is trying to resurrect that feeling some 15 years later and if almost 30 sounds old than 44 is really freaking fucking old (Kings of the Weekend, come on guys) - I wouldn't mind them writing these songs if the music was as good but it's slower, formulaic and has none of the hooks we all love blink for.

I think thats a part of the problem some people are having. They see the people behind the music not just the music itself. Which isnt fair to the music. You do that with Adele she would probably get a lot of hate... or even that Sam Smith. They both have vocals people say fits more into R&B or Soul music than that of pop or whatever you want to classify them as.

Yeah blink are a bunch of dudes in their 40s singing SOME songs about angst. In reality not a lot of this record is about angsty teenagers. I dont think thats fair. If you can write a song that meets the material who gives a damn how old you are.

Untitled was great, and at the time compared to Toypaj and EOTS it was like a complete change. But that doesn't mean they can do ANYTHING. If blink tried doing RAP even with space jesus it would not pan out. I promise you it fail. While Untitled is a great album but its lyrics are by no means that much more moving or meaningful then what they have put out recently. Point and case... "Whats with all these spiders.." or "let me taste you" . Yes there are a lot less "ooo's" and "ah's" and I'll agree that went over board. But by no means does untitled put blink up their with Led Zepplin or the Beatles in terms of how they changed music..

Nostalgia googles people...

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Untitled was great, and at the time compared to Toypaj and EOTS it was like a complete change. But that doesn't mean they can do ANYTHING. If blink tried doing RAP even with space jesus it would not pan out. I promise you it fail. While Untitled is a great album but its lyrics are by no means that much more moving or meaningful then what they have put out recently. Point and case... "Whats with all these spiders.." or "let me taste you" . Yes there are a lot less "ooo's" and "ah's" and I'll agree that went over board. But by no means does untitled put blink up their with Led Zepplin or the Beatles in terms of how they changed music..

Actually it's "webs from all the spiders." As I've experienced more and actually been to the place where those lyrics derived from, they're really quite amazing.

restingbird wrote:
OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Untitled was great, and at the time compared to Toypaj and EOTS it was like a complete change. But that doesn't mean they can do ANYTHING. If blink tried doing RAP even with space jesus it would not pan out. I promise you it fail. While Untitled is a great album but its lyrics are by no means that much more moving or meaningful then what they have put out recently. Point and case... "Whats with all these spiders.." or "let me taste you" . Yes there are a lot less "ooo's" and "ah's" and I'll agree that went over board. But by no means does untitled put blink up their with Led Zepplin or the Beatles in terms of how they changed music..

Actually it's "webs from all the spiders." As I've experienced more and actually been to the place where those lyrics derived from, they're really quite amazing.

Every top corner of a kitchen cupboard ever?

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!