Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Uncanny similarities between The Beatles and Blink 182

I just realized the similarities, and wow. Both cases: rock band, two talented lead singers/writers of equal contribution.

Travis & Ringo - Replaced the band's original drummer and was a big improvement on the previous guy. Once they got in the band, the floodgates opened and they achieved a lot of success.

Mark & McCartney - Stable, consistency, catchy melodies, wants to make good music, please the fans and have fun. Wanted to keep the band together as long as possible.

Tom & Lennon - Inconsistent, grandiose, slightly crazy, creative, enjoy experimenting and changing up the sound. Got tired of making the same kind of music and wanted the freedom to focus on their personal projects (and save the world).

Post-separation, I think we're seeing a similar trend too. With the Beatles, Paul's music got boring and play-it-safe without Lennon to spice it up. And without equally talented company to push and refine him, Lennon's discography was 10% amazing, 30% average, 30% mediocre and 30% Yoko Ono.

Maybe Blink is doomed to make 5 more California's and Tom is doomed to make an endless series of EP's with good ideas in need of a stable band of equally talented minds to perfect them.

Re: Uncanny similarities between The Beatles and Blink 182

I mean, yeah I guess you could find similarities if you looked hard enough, but I urge caution when bringing The Beatles into a conversation as a base of comparison. The Beatles changed the culture of the world and impacted music for all of modern history. Blink has had a very curious and unique impact and story on pop music and punk rock, but I feel to go much further is bound to end badly.

twitter

Elevator wrote:I mean, yeah I guess you could find similarities if you looked hard enough, but I urge caution when bringing The Beatles into a conversation as a base of comparison. The Beatles changed the culture of the world and impacted music for all of modern history. Blink has had a very curious and unique impact and story on pop music and punk rock, but I feel to go much further is bound to end badly.

I never meant to say that Beatles and Blink 182 are mostly similar to each other. I meant to say that the respective roles Mark and Tom played in the band were very similar that McCartney and Lennon played. And Tom's falling out with the band was very similar to Lennon's.

Elevator wrote:
And she said... wrote:If he does the first suspect will be Brocc.

Unfortunately there would be a lot of people pretty satisfied with that, and it makes me sick to type it.

Naw. Death is too quick. I like the slow and painful route.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

When it comes to similarities, the only thing I see is that John Lennon and Paul McCartney were the lead singers (with Ringo Starr and George Harrison at the sidelines) and Mark Hoppus and Tom Delonge were lead singers. Then, like John and Paul, they had a falling out, as did Tom and Mark. You can see it best in Abbey Road and how it was made. John didn't care how it was mixed and remastered and left the recording process, while Paul did that little "suite" in the middle. Also, if I remember correctly, the songs are also separated, with most of Paul's songs at either the beginning or end, and John's in another part of the album. Like Paul who hijacked the beatles (other band members brought in girlfriends, so bringing up Yoko isn't always the real source behind everything .... and if you study up, you'll see that most of the band had a problem with Paul because he was so controlling, in fact, during the white album recording sessions, Ringo Starr walked off because he was sick and tired of Paul), Tom hijacked blink. Paul wanted a certain sound (the oldy sounding sounds), which is clear with Maxwell's Silver Hammer. The whole band hated Maxwell's, but Paul wanted it because he liked the older sound. I actually view the relationship between John and Paul almost the same as Mark and Tom. I can't stand Paul. I can't stand Tom. I love John. I love Mark. But other than that, other than the band members' relationships with each other, I don't see anything. But that's just me.
-Hot Water Music

StrongTower182 wrote:You can hate on Tom all you want. But I will ignore your horrible blasphemous statements about Sir Paul. #bae

Haha! In my opinion, I felt he was holding the beatles back. He couldn't get out of that "awwww, that's a nice song" sound. Meanwhile, John Lennon was part of the pioneering effort into Psychedelic music. John didn't invent it. Don't get me wrong, but I feel that he was pushing into areas that either few or none had dared to tread. Paul stayed safe. Mind you, this is in regards to everything post-Rubber Soul. Rubber Soul and earlier was all great. Paul just couldn't embrace the LSD, man. He could smoke the ganja, but not roll out .... ha

My above comment could be blasphemous, but, it is true that Paul was controlling and pissed off a lot of the band members.
-Hot Water Music