Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

after listening to these songs again this album is quite disappointing tbh. i can name a few songs that are good and worth continuing blink for:

bored to death
los angeles
home is such a lonely place
brohemian rhapsody

california and sober join this is home as the only three legit bad post 1997 blink songs

the rest is just forgettable. this album is blink's "im past my prime but still kinda relevant and want to put something in between greatest hits tours collection of toned down ballads" album.

however, i have yet to hear cynical or teenage satellites, or listen to the album properly in order. and this album shows signs of them having another good album in them. they need a new producer. no disrespect to feldmann who has done goid things for the band. they just arent a good match musically.

frisky wrote:
Briefcase Joe wrote:Why is everyone hatin' on sober? Does no one think the matts verse is ace? I think this could be a hit for blink

It's beyond generic. Simple Plan could have written that song in one day. But yes, it's generic pop rock that would do very well on Top 40 radio.

I think it's far less generic than the majority of the rest of the album. It's a complete change of pace for them, which to me makes it less generic than their multiple attempts to recreate their 2001 sound. If people's definition of "generic" = pop song, then I think that needs to be reconsidered. It's probably people just not liking the poppy sound and using a word like generic to dismiss/excuse the song because they don't like the sound of it.

The fact that it's so polarizing I think shows that it's not generic. I think the fact that we are barely mentioning tracks like San Diego or Teenage Satellites implies that they're generic and forgettable.

Waggy wrote:If anyone listened to the Top 40 radio, you would see how god damn generic the song is. Yeah, Skiba's verse is probably the best part mostly cause of Travis' drumming, but the flow of Skiba's lyrics just feel like the most produced pop-country top 40 hit song and it bothers me so much. Same with the generic "Na Na nas" in the song too.

I don't see it as generic at all.
I feel the melodies fit really well with the sentiments of the song - being a let down and a failure but asking the person you love to maybe give you one last chance. I think Mark's chorus is super heartfelt and catchy, and the way his voice goes up in the dandelion/clover line transforms the chorus melody from just sweet to absolute amazing. I'm surprised I like it so much because it is not guitar driven at all really compared to other tracks. But it feels like it flows really well to me and those snatched yells in the pre-chorus are awesome too. Oh well, each to their own.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Waggy wrote:If anyone listened to the Top 40 radio, you would see how god damn generic the song is.

this statement makes no sense to me

is generic = top 40 radio or is generic = the same pop punk song you've heard 6000 times over the past 15 years?

Sober is a well-written song that is something totally different from anything I've ever heard blink-182 do. I don't understand how that classifies as "generic" while the rest of this album, full of uninspiring sounding songs that feel like they belong in 2001, isn't.

i totally get that you just don't like the song lol I don't want to make you think I'm coming at your opinion or anything.

all im really trying to say is that I get it if people don't like it 'cause it's super poppy, but it's one of the most unique and polarizing tracks on this record ... meanwhile, nearly half of this album sounds like the same song from 2001 rehashed over and over again

i think the former is anything but generic, and the latter is the definition of generic. "generic" doesn't have to instantly have a negative connotation around it; imo someone can dislike a song for being poppy while still loving the generic pop punk. but to each their own i suppose

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
Waggy wrote:I don't know what you guys want me to say. It feels like a generic song to me. Sorry.

No I feel the same way. it could have been done by anybody and lacks all kind of identity really.

San Diego is probably my favourite, I think. at least right now.

Can't decide my favorite but I'm loving San Diego too. I really love the difference between the verse and the chorus. The way the drums kick in all of a sudden and it becomes loud and upbeat is awesome.

Nevermind wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:
Waggy wrote:I don't know what you guys want me to say. It feels like a generic song to me. Sorry.

No I feel the same way. it could have been done by anybody and lacks all kind of identity really.

San Diego is probably my favourite, I think. at least right now.

Can't decide my favorite but I'm loving San Diego too. I really love the difference between the verse and the chorus. The way the drums kick in all of a sudden and it becomes loud and upbeat is awesome.

And that chugging, stuttering guitar at the end of the chorus as the sing san diegooooooooooo gets me every time.
Love the song so much.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Waggy wrote:So, I'm not a huge fan of Los Angeles, but the outro to that song is fucking phenomenal. Super catchy with Mark's singing.

"Wake me when this war is over.."

Yeah, I'm not big on the verses or chorus, but that ending is so cool. The way it builds and rolls. Really nice.

I don't get the hate for "Sober."

I LOVE that the album is so divisive over what songs people love. "LA" is by far my least favorite. Yet its other people's favorite track. (I still like it though!)

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)