New Brand New

New Brand New is coming. Exciting.

Preview: https://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Nightmare-Brand-New/dp/B01FIUR2YS

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Re: New Brand New

KayTheMagnificent wrote:Well this is different

You could say it sounds... brand new.

Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

I wouldn't consider it a step backwards. I think with Devil and God and Diasy they tried going too weird, and they love to be totally different on each record so maybe they went 'fuck it' and went for something more fun.

and tbh this one song is better than all of Daisy to me. if we get a record with this and Sealed To Me on it I'll be one happy bunny.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

The last two albums are weird but they're all really tonally consistent from start to finish, so to me they don't sound like they were "trying to be weird". I'd agree with you if the songs had saxophone solos and yodelling out of nowhere.

It's not a bad song but it's just kinda bland - it needs his signature screaming harmonies that are all over Deja Entendu and Your Favourite Weapon - I mean they're present in "Mene" and it makes that song much more thrilling. I just find the decision to print this on 12" vinyl baffling because even though it's nice it just sounds like a Deja b-side.

I think they went too weird, not that they were trying to be weird. they made a point of saying they were aiming for a totally different audience, hence the changes in the later albums. personally I'm not a fan of Daisy at all, and Devil is... alright...

but regardless of that, this just seems like another different direction for them. it doesn't sound anything like the slightly snotty aggression of YFW - it sounds like a simpler approach for a more settled adult, does that make sense? I'm including lyrics in this assessment mind you.

My Music

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I think they went too weird, not that they were trying to be weird. they made a point of saying they were aiming for a totally different audience, hence the changes in the later albums. personally I'm not a fan of Daisy at all, and Devil is... alright...

but regardless of that, this just seems like another different direction for them. it doesn't sound anything like the slightly snotty aggression of YFW - it sounds like a simpler approach for a more settled adult, does that make sense? I'm including lyrics in this assessment mind you.

Is there some interview where they said they were trying to alienate fans?
Because from just random comment sections and forums, I've observed people love The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me and Daisy (Daisy to maybe a lesser extent) and aren't totally on board with this song. I mean if anyone else besides Brand New put it out - who would give a flying bag of shit?

I'm not really getting simple, settled adult music from this song? EXPLAIN!!!?

Also Daisy is my favourite album by them; how will we ever get along? *sighs and smiles*

I didn't say they were trying to alienate them, There was quote flying around years ago of them saying that one album was made for the fans they do have, and the next was for the fans they don't. Pretty sure it was Deja / Devil.

I know some people are taking issue with it - and in some ways I can understand why - but I personally don't have a problem. Brand New have always had albums that stand on their own, even though I hate Daisy it is so individual and iconic by itself. they're one of the only bands I can think of where you genuinely cannot predict how they'll sound album to album - hell the 2006 demos were worlds apart from what they became on Devil. This is just going to be another example of that - They did what they wanted to do with Daisy, so they're changing it up again. it makes sense to me.

by simple settled adult music what I mean is - they're not trying to rub any musicianship in anyones face, or rely on effects or modern technology etc. Jesse has clearly gone through a lot of crap in the last few years (that little talk he does before he performed Sealed To Me, for example) and this just sounds like he's accepting where he's at as a person. He's accepting his age, his accomplishments, his limits etc. it's musically simplish (but not really) and the lyrics are really quite good. It sounds like a song written from the need to write something, not for any other reason and that really is what it should be about. Daisy in a lot of ways felt forced to me (and not just me either) and this doesn't - this feels like a song Jesse would naturally write and that's fantastic. same goes for Sealed To Me (Seriously I need a decent quality version of that bloody song).

So yeah, for a dude his age to come out the other side of whatever the hell he's been through and just write a good solid simple song seems great to me. Plus his voice, his lyrics, his style is unmistakeable, so I don't see why just because it's a little plainer and more upbeat suddenly it's a problem with everyone.

My Music

I don't really follow the band members all too closely, so I don't know what's been happening in his personal life, but from what you describe.... maybe he should have put out a little solo album where he can play his upbeat, solid rock tunes (like I Am A Nightmare).
When I think of Brand New I think shock, surprise, noise, and all kinds of musical magic.

They're sort of like a punky/emo Radiohead for me. Whenever Radiohead do anything it's fucking huge and different and a spectacle!
(And Thom Yorke has various outlets for his more minimalist and stripped back ideas that wouldn't work for Radiohead).

So it's been freaking 6 years since Daisy and that album was such a moment for me - it turned me on to so many different styles and genres of music - and listening to it 6 years later it's still this bold, polarising thrill ride of an album. SO I mean it's all subjective and my fault if I've built up their next record as this wild, experimental juggernaut return... but they're Brand New and I thought they'd have something crazy cooked up after all this time

and I mean good for him if he doesn't wanna do that sort of stuff but it's still got the "Brand New" label on it
and even though you say every release of theirs has been totally different since Your Favourite Weapon - everyone of those releases has been exotic and tantalising whether you liked the music or not

I Am a Nightmare (in my opinion) is a good Jesse Lacey song
I just don't think it is a good Brand New song

Eh, I disagree. Ultimately - you weren't expecting this, were you? and I think that's the point. I think predictability is the last thing they want - it's why they're such an interesting band to follow. their mysterious, do weird things and disappear for years at a time. Daisy was a shock to the system (as someone who despised it violently when it came out) because I didn't expect them to go in that direction. That was clearly their intention, to be bold and different, and I was one person they lost because of it. this time around maybe it's your turn.

My Music

KayTheMagnificent wrote:LISTEN TO THIS SONG SERIOUSLY. its been stuck in my head for 3 days straight.

Retweet. I love this song.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)