Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

BlinkGate 2015

#1
Please direct all discussion not directly related to the other news items to this thread!
Please create a new topic thread for any news that comes in!

Thanks
the mgmt


Musink Festival, Matt Skiba Announcement. Tom is not taking part in blink-182 projects indefinitely.
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/26/tom-delonge-to-go-on-hiatus-from-blink-182-indefinitely/
Spoiler: show
Matt Skiba of the Alkaline Trio will join Blink-182 in replacement of Tom DeLonge at the 8th annual Musink Music and Tattoo Festival. “We were all set to play this festival and record a new album and Tom kept putting it off without reason. A week before we were scheduled to go in to the studio we got an email from his manager explaining that he didn’t want to participate in any Blink-182 projects indefinetly, but would rather work on his other non-musical endeavors.” Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus plan to honor all Blink-182 commitments including the Musink Festival and are excited to have singer/guitarist Matt Skiba join them for this project. “No hard feelings, but the show must go on for our fans.” Additionally, Skiba will continue to make new music and tour with the Alkaline Trio.


Tom Posts on Instagram saying that he has not quit
Spoiler: show
http://instagram.com/p/yVMcdhru4p/
"To all the fans, I never quit the band. I actually was on a phone call about a blink 182 event for New York City at the time all these weird press releases started coming in... Apparently those releases were 'sanctioned' from the band. Are we dysfunctional- yes. But, Christ..... #Awkward #BabyBackRibs"


Mark Tweets "blink-182 life. For life."
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/26/update-tom-not-leaving-blink-182/


Tom posts a small expanded statement via his publicist
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/26/i-love-blink-182-and-im-not-leaving-tom/
Spoiler: show
Contrary to reports, Tom DeLonge has not left Blink 182. “I never quit the band,” he says. “Actually, I was on the phone discussing a possible Blink-182 event in New York City when I heard the ‘news.’ The ONLY truth here is that I have commitments that limit my availability this year.

I love Blink-182 and I’m not leaving.


Tom tweets a photo with the Caption: "Me and the band Hugging"
https://twitter.com/tomdelonge/status/559844447765020673

Mark and Travis talk to Rolling Stone.
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/26/rolling-stone-blink-182s-mark-hoppus-travis-barker-blast-ungrateful-tom-delonge/
Spoiler: show
Earlier today, Blink-182 members Mark Hoppus and Travis Braker released a statement noting that founding member Tom DeLonge had “indefinitely” left the band and that Alkaline Trio’s Matt Skiba would replace DeLonge for the band’s upcoming set at Musink Festival. DeLonge countered shortly after, posting on his Instagram, “I never quit the band,” calling the press release “weird” and questioning its legitimacy. In an exclusive, candid interview with Rolling Stone, Hoppus and Barker set the record straight on Blink’s inner turmoils, album delays and ongoing frustrations.

There seems to be a disconnect between your statement saying Tom left the band and Tom saying that he didn’t quit. Who’s right?
Hoppus: That’s all true [Laughs]. I’ll walk you through the past two years of Blink-182 history: For the past two years, we’ve been working with a bunch of different labels to try and get a record deal because the three of us collectively decided that we wanted to make a record with a partner. A few months ago, Travis has this festival that he is co-owner of and presenting and he asked Tom and I if we would play and we said, “No problem.” At the end of December, we were finalizing our record deal. On Christmas Eve, all three people signed the record deal. We had been talking about where we wanted to record, what producers we want to use, what day we want to start. This is all through e-mail. I don’t think either of us have spoken to Tom in person in months, but everything’s been moving positively.

We’re booked January 5th to go into the studio. On December 30th, we get an e-mail from Tom’s manager saying that he has no interest in recording and that he wants to do his other, non-musical stuff and that he’s out indefinitely. There’s a flurry of e-mails going back and forth for clarification about the recording and the show and his manager sends [an e-mail] back saying, “Tom. Is. Out.” Direct quote. This is the exact same e-mail we got back in 2004 when Tom went on indefinite hiatus before.


So from your point of view, there was no ambiguity?
Hoppus: Absolutely. Every single thing that we’ve heard from his camp — from e-mails from his manager to our production team — was, “Tom is out indefinitely. For the foreseeable future, Tom is done.”

What was your initial reaction to that e-mail?
Hoppus: To be honest, I wasn’t that surprised because his attitude leading up to that had been not excited and not interested. Even though we’d been talking about recording and dates, things kept getting pushed back. Blink was supposed to start recording two years ago and then it was, “We need a record deal” because it was relayed to us that Tom didn’t want to spend his own money going forward. Even our managers were saying, “We’ll put money in to start the process.” We respected that Tom’s camp was adamant that we needed a label. There were huge e-mails in all capital letters, “WE NEED A LABEL.”

Did you record any music for the new album?
Hoppus: I have stuff on hard drives at my house. Travis has ideas at his studio. And I’m sure that Tom has music somewhere at his studio. We were ready to go into the studio on January 5th. This is exactly the same sequence of events that happened when Blink broke up 10 years ago. We had things booked in advance and we get an e-mail from Tom’s manager saying, “Tom’s out indefinitely.” But last time, Travis and I took a step back and said okay and we just kept our mouths shut. But all three of us agreed to play this Musink show. So just like last year, when Travis couldn’t go to Australia and we got a fill-in drummer to replace Travis, we found a replacement guitarist for Tom on this show.

What was your reaction to Tom’s statement that he didn’t quit the band?
Barker: I think he’s just bummed because Mark and I were finally honest. We always covered up for him before. It was always, “We’re going to record an album,” then “Tom refuses to get into the studio without a record deal.” So everyone does hella amounts of work to get a record deal and now Tom isn’t part of Blink-182. It’s hard to cover for someone who’s disrespectful and ungrateful. You don’t even have the balls to call your bandmates and tell them you’re not going to record or do anything Blink-related. You have your manager do it. Everyone should know what the story is with him and it’s been years with it. When we did get back together after my plane crash, we only got back together, I don’t know, maybe because I almost died. But he didn’t even listen to mixes or masterings from that record. He didn’t even care about it. Why Blink even got back together in the first place is questionable.

Hoppus: His actions speak louder than whatever he feels compelled to write on an Instagram post. We’ve been trying to record an album for the better part of two years and we had agreed to go in to record and my guess is that Tom was embarrassed because he doesn’t want to do Blink. I think that the fans know. Look at each of our’s social media accounts and look who talks and promotes Blink-182 or is excited about Blink-182. Travis and I were ready to walk into a studio January 5th. That speaks louder than anything.

What’s the current status of the new album?
Hoppus: We’re concentrating on this Musink Festival. I’m excited about it because Matt is so positive and happy playing shows. When the press release went out today, it felt like a giant weight lifting off my shoulders. Finally, people know what the deal is with our band. Beyond that, we’ll see what happens. Last time this happened, Travis and I didn’t say anything and we did +44, which wasn’t Blink-182 because we weren’t playing Blink songs. But Travis and I are intent on protecting the legacy of Blink-182 and continue to do what we’ve been doing for the past two decades: continue playing the songs.

If this is a permanent break for Tom, do you see a future for the name Blink-182 without him?
Hoppus: There are legalities involved with this. As Tom pointed out, he technically didn’t quit the band. Then it gets all lawyer-y, which I will leave to the attorneys and managers. I just want to go out and play Blink songs. I want to go out and play the songs that we’ve been spending the last 20 years of our lives writing. That’s what Travis and I want to do. If Tom doesn’t want to do that, which obviously he doesn’t, that’s okay. He doesn’t have to be embarrassed or try to claim that he’s secretly really working on Blink. People know what’s up. C’mon, man.

Tom wrote on Instagram, “Apparently those releases were ‘sanctioned’ from the band. Are we dysfunctional- yes. But, Christ…..” How did you interpret that?
Hoppus: The press release that came out today is 100% from Travis and me and we stand by it 100% because it’s all true. There’s no ambiguity.

Was it odd seeing a conflicting view of the statement you released?
Barker: It’s just funny to me. I think he’s just in shock that he’s finally been exposed. The truth is out. I just don’t think he knows how to deal with it, so he says, “I didn’t quit the band. I’m booking Blink shows as we speak.” You’re not the booking agent. We all know that’s a lie. You don’t want to twist any grown man’s arm to do anything he doesn’t want to do, but step up to the plate and say, “Yeah, I don’t want to play with those guys. I’ve been saying I’d record with the guys for the last two or three years and I’ll just do Blink shows when I need money.”

If Tom says tomorrow that he wanted back in and the three members should start recording a new album, would he be welcome?

[Long pause]

Barker: Mark’s the sweeter one, so I’ll let him answer [Laughs].

Hoppus: Travis and I and the whole Blink-182 organization have bent over backwards for years to accommodate all of the stuff that Tom wanted to try. Tom calls up in October 2013 and says, “I want to do an EP for Christmas release.” I live in London and five days later, I’m on an airplane to Los Angeles to record because he wanted to. We’ve done everything that we could to give Tom what he says he needs. It’s been years of pushing back and I have to tell you: It feels humiliating to be in a band where you have to be apologizing for one person all the time. That’s how it’s felt for a long time.

When Tom finally said, “I’m not going to go into the studio or play this show,” it was kind of a gigantic relief because at least he finally said it. But to then say, “I didn’t quit the band,” it’s just not true. It’s disingenuous. I just wish Tom does whatever makes him happy and stops holding Blink-182 back from what we all agree that we’re going to do: play shows, record music, continue this legacy and have a good time doing it.


Tom posts a tweet regarding him and Mark discussing replacing Travis; then quickly deletes it.
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/27/tom-posts-tweet-about-parting-with-travis-deletes-it-quickly/
Image


Tom posts his 'Letter To The Fans' on Facebook
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/27/letter-to-the-fans-by-tom-delonge/
Spoiler: show
LETTER TO THE FANS

Where to begin?

The truth is always a good place. Let’s go there.

I love Blink and am incredibly grateful for having it in my life. It has given me everything. EVERYTHING. I started this band, it was in my garage where I dreamed up the mischief.


So what have I been doing behind the scenes? Well, I’ve tried to make things work. I’ve tried to help move this band down 50 different paths using my people, or other people, and people we don’t even know. I tried to put forth ideas about how we can grow and challenge ourselves to become a better band. I’m not sitting around waiting for someone else to do the work. I’m not wired that way.

The big reset was when I tried to put together a band summit in Utah where we’d talk and work things out. It quickly was narrowed down to three hours in someone’s dressing room in a shitty casino. What I hoped would be a positive get-together away from everything turned into an awkward meeting in a smelly convention hall dressing room. But it was there that I told Mark and Travis that as long as we talked, and things were good between us as real friends, that I would be engaged and work passionately. I’d mirror our personal relationship. Exact words.

Then, the EP was the test. Months later, we’re recording those songs. I was in the studio for two months and they came in for around 11 days. I didn’t mind leading the charge, but we had all agreed to give it 100%. And this time- no baggage.

Despite that, we still somehow managed to self-sabotage.

At one point, squabbling and politics forced me to pull the EP down at a time when 60,000 fans were trying to purchase it. And that blew my mind. I’d been trying so hard but that moment ultimately broke my spirit. I then realized that this band couldn’t lose the years of ill will.

It was after that episode that I promised myself I would never be in that position again – to rely on the words we said to each other.

I remember asking one of them on the phone, “did you try your best? Like we all agreed to?” He was silent.

Are they at fault?

Am I? Of course. I’m nuts.

But there’s three of us – we’re all accountable. At the end of the day, we’ve always been dysfunctional, which is why we haven’t talked in months. But we never did. In the 8 years we have been together it has always been that way.

Over the past two and a half years, while a recording partner was being sought for a new Blink record, I launched a media company. I just put out a new Angels & Airwaves record and as some of you know, there’s a lot more coming – comics, books, a film, etc. The books will all come with music. This is a wheel that’s already in motion. So you can imagine my frustration when I was handed a 60-page Blink contract saying I couldn’t release an Angels album for 9 months and that the Blink album had to be recorded in 6 months, which was impossible for me. Doing so would force me to breach several artist contracts. Authors, Concept Artists, Animators… Many people.

They did eventually drop the Angels provision, but the part about having to finish a Blink album in 6 months remained. All of these other projects are being worked, exist in contract form– I can’t just slam the brakes and drop years of development, partnerships and commitments at the snap of a finger.

I told my manager that I will do Blink 182 as long as it was fun and worked with the other commitments in my life, including my family.

But Mark and Travis know all of this.

I wrote this same letter to them a year ago. But it created a massive argument, the biggest one yet actually. I just wanted us to do things we all agreed on. But that was their moment to dig in. From their view I was controlling everything. In reality, I was scared to put myself out there again. To repeat the EP experience.

I also wrote all of this to their managers this past December (who told me my bandmates weren’t angry and agreed with some of my ideas of how to grow the band).

So you can imagine my surprise when a press release went out yesterday—without my knowledge—about the band’s future. This is new to me. It’s not in my nature to fuel negativity about the legacy of the band on something as trashy as the Internet world.

But I guess that’s another example of how I differ from most. I follow the light… I follow passion and I make art. I hang with my son, my daughter and my wife.

At the end of the day, all of this makes me really sad.

Sad for us.

Sad for you- that you’re witnessing this immaturity.

I know them very well, and their current actions are defensive and divisive.

I suppose they’re doing this as a way to protect themselves from being hurt.

Like we all do.

And even as I watch them act so different to what I know of them to be, I still care deeply for them. Like brothers, and like old friends. But our relationship got poisoned yesterday.

Never planned on quitting, just find it hard as hell to commit.
-
Tom


Mark did an interview with Alternative Press
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/27/mark-interview-with-alt-press/
Spoiler: show
We should make it clear that Matt Skiba will be playing with you and Travis for the Musink show only on March 22. Everything after that is a question mark.
MARK HOPPUS: After that, we don’t know. We haven’t played a show with Matt yet, so it’s too soon to really say what goes beyond on that. We’re very optimistic and excited about the possibilities of continuing with Matt in some way. He’s a good friend, a great guitarist, a great singer. He has a really positive attitude. I think we’ve been friends for, what, 15 years? We don’t have anything booked beyond that, but we are hopeful and excited.


There was a post of Tom’s on Twitter—since taken down—that said you and he once talked about replacing Travis.
[For the 2013] Australian tour in January, Travis obviously didn’t go on that tour because he didn’t feel comfortable flying, which was a possibility that we had known about from day one. When we agreed to do the tour of Australia Travis said, “I will do everything in my power to get back on an airplane, but if it gets to the day and I’m not ready to go, we need a back-up plan.” As it [came] closer to the time, Travis called me and Tom and said, “I’m not ready yet, I don’t think I’m going to be able to make the flight. We should go with a back-up drummer.” With Travis’ blessing we enlisted Brooks Wackerman and completed the tour.

However, during the course of the tour, Travis and the promoter got into a Twitter argument back and forth that was very contentious and was a lot of stress. Tom was upset, I was upset because it was happening while we were on this tour, and the tour was going very well. Everything should’ve been cool. The promoter thought that Travis had never intended to come to Australia and felt that he had been duped. Of course, that wasn’t the case.

After the tour, Tom was very upset about being put in that situation on tour, where people were threatening to sue, the promoter was angry and everything else. But he was really just blowing off steam. We got back from tour and Tom was having these calls where he was talking about “can we replace Travis, can we do whatever,” but it was really just Tom blowing off steam. There were a few days of calls where I listened to Tom, commiserated with Tom and, immediately afterwards, called up my manager and [said], “Tom’s upset right now, he’s talking about trying to replace Travis, but I’m not into it. That’s not going to happen.” And sure enough, Tom, after a month, called back up and was like, “Hey you know what? I was just angry about it. It was a bad situation, and of course I don’t want to kick Travis out of the band.” I don’t think Tom was ever truly serious about it. Even at the time, I felt he was just angry and he just needed to vent.

You’ve made it clear that you’re doing the Musink date for the fans. I can’t understand why Tom wouldn’t want to support that.
I really don’t understand, either. I couldn’t speak for Tom—l hadn’t spoken with Tom in months. It’s the exact same thing that happened 10 years ago, when he went on indefinite hiatus before where we had a show booked and we had things on the other side. We got an email from his manager saying he was out [and] he was not going to be around to do what he said he was going to do. I don’t know why he wouldn’t just go and play one show and be done at that point.

Travis is also a partner in Musink and it seems weird to me that someone wouldn’t want to support the endeavors of a friend he had been in the trenches with for so long and through so much.
It’s weird to me, it’s weird to Travis. I think honestly, from everything we’ve heard from Tom’s manager and from what Tom has done—and is not doing even more so—Tom doesn’t want to be in Blink. It’s obvious. That’s fine. But it’s so confusing to get emails from people saying, “Tom’s out indefinitely, Tom’s not going to do these things, Tom doesn’t want to record, doesn’t want to tour, doesn’t want to do anything,” and then at the same time say, [adopts shocked tone] “I never quit the band. I just said I wasn’t ever going to do anything again.”

Perfect world situation: How would you want everything to be right now? Would you want Tom to get with the program, play for the fans and be part of a new Blink album? Or are you just completely over it?
The thing is we’ve tried to get Tom to engage [in Blink activity], and everything has been a very, very difficult struggle to get anything done with Blink for the last two years. Everything from getting a label deal done to even playing shows, and trying to get Tom into a studio. We’ve been trying that for the past two years. The ideal situation was two years ago when we said we were going to go into a studio and get working and it never happened. I think those days and that wishful thinking are gone.

If you got a call from him two hours from now and he said, “You’re right, let’s go do this,” would you say, “Cool,” or say “Gotta go, my other line’s ringing?” Has he burned any kind of goodwill bridge?
Just for me personally, it would be very hard to believe that would be the case, because we’ve had those exact conversations many, many times. We’ve all had conversations where everyone agreed that “this is what we’re going to do” and “we’re gonna get in the studio on this date, do this tour” or whatever it is and it doesn’t come to pass like it’s supposed to. I don’t know that I‘d believe it.

Travis and I have been ready to go for years to tour, to record this next album. Tom even did an interview with you guys: Most Anticipated Albums Of 2015 [saying] “Yeah, we’re gonna get in the studio. Yeah, we found a new partner for this [record].” All this stuff and then when it comes time to do the work and get in the studio or get on a tour bus or whatever it is, we get an email from his manager saying he’s out indefinitely. I know it’s confusing for people, but only as much as it’s confusing for us, because for Tom to insist that he loves Blink-182 or whatever it is, I think that his actions speak much louder than what he posts online.

And by the way, that’s cool. Travis and I aren’t angry or mad or whatever. When we got the email from Tom’s manager saying that he didn’t want to record, at least he was being honest at that point. We’ve been dragging for so long to try to get into the studio and try to get to work. For him to finally say, “I’m not going to do it,” was almost like, “Okay, now you’ve actually said it. Now let’s move forward: You do whatever you want to do and we’ll continue doing what we love doing. Which is Blink.

He’s puts out the bluster, then he’s backpedaling. Why?
I have no idea. Honestly, I don’t. I think that Tom doesn’t want to do Blink. I don’t think he has fun doing it. I think he has a good time when he’s onstage, but I think that other than that, he just doesn’t enjoy it. That’s just my guess and my observation from the past, whatever, three years?

Why did you pick Skiba?
We started talking about how we were going to be able to do this show. Travis and I sat down and we couldn’t even think of anybody else. There was nobody else that we even considered asking. He was the perfect fit. And Matt is going to do his own thing: He’s not going to try and walk onstage and be Tom. He’s going to be himself as a member of Blink that day, you know?

Will you be playing new tracks?
There won’t be any new tracks. We haven’t finalized the set list yet. I would like to play a bunch of old stuff, some newer stuff and just have fun. It feels like a license to have fun right now. I love Blink: I want to keep playing in Blink, I want to keep playing Blink songs. I love the legacy. I love where we started. I love where we’re going. I feel very relieved somehow. Everything is out in the open and everyone can do what they want to do. alt


Tom Posts blink-182 clips
http://www.182online.com/2015/02/01/tom ... 182-songs/
Image

http://www.ryannevill.com
It's the worst damn day (it doesn't hurt that much) of my life.

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#5
Tim. wrote:I feel bad for Tom. There, I said it.


You're totally allowed to feel sympathy for Tom. He is, in a strange way, a tragic figure. That doesn't mean he can't be a coward, a liar, a hypocrite, and unprofessional. He's only human. He can be all those things.
Image


twitter

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#8
Elevator wrote:
Tim. wrote:I feel bad for Tom. There, I said it.


You're totally allowed to feel sympathy for Tom. He is, in a strange way, a tragic figure. That doesn't mean he can't be a coward, a liar, a hypocrite, and unprofessional. He's only human. He can be all those things.


I just don't necessarily believe he's all those things. He's sucked with his image towards the media and the public for his whole life, and just like last time Mark and Travis, who are very good with the media, get the first word out.

It's hard for me to wash the stain of 2005 away, when Mark and Travis were parading around about how shitty Tom is while he remained quiet. By the time he told his side of the story no one even cared, and even made fun of him for it because they'd already bought into Mark and Travis's side of the truth. Now here we are 10 years later and it's the same thing. It just seems that Tom is inherently wrong from the get-go because people thought he was to blame last time, and no matter what he says or how truthful it is, no one will give it any credence because for some reason people need for there to be a villain in this.

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#9
Ryan. wrote:
Mark did an interview with Alternative Press
http://www.182online.com/2015/01/27/mark-interview-with-alt-press/
Spoiler: show
We should make it clear that Matt Skiba will be playing with you and Travis for the Musink show only on March 22. Everything after that is a question mark.
MARK HOPPUS: After that, we don’t know. We haven’t played a show with Matt yet, so it’s too soon to really say what goes beyond on that. We’re very optimistic and excited about the possibilities of continuing with Matt in some way. He’s a good friend, a great guitarist, a great singer. He has a really positive attitude. I think we’ve been friends for, what, 15 years? We don’t have anything booked beyond that, but we are hopeful and excited.


There was a post of Tom’s on Twitter—since taken down—that said you and he once talked about replacing Travis.
[For the 2013] Australian tour in January, Travis obviously didn’t go on that tour because he didn’t feel comfortable flying, which was a possibility that we had known about from day one. When we agreed to do the tour of Australia Travis said, “I will do everything in my power to get back on an airplane, but if it gets to the day and I’m not ready to go, we need a back-up plan.” As it [came] closer to the time, Travis called me and Tom and said, “I’m not ready yet, I don’t think I’m going to be able to make the flight. We should go with a back-up drummer.” With Travis’ blessing we enlisted Brooks Wackerman and completed the tour.

However, during the course of the tour, Travis and the promoter got into a Twitter argument back and forth that was very contentious and was a lot of stress. Tom was upset, I was upset because it was happening while we were on this tour, and the tour was going very well. Everything should’ve been cool. The promoter thought that Travis had never intended to come to Australia and felt that he had been duped. Of course, that wasn’t the case.

After the tour, Tom was very upset about being put in that situation on tour, where people were threatening to sue, the promoter was angry and everything else. But he was really just blowing off steam. We got back from tour and Tom was having these calls where he was talking about “can we replace Travis, can we do whatever,” but it was really just Tom blowing off steam. There were a few days of calls where I listened to Tom, commiserated with Tom and, immediately afterwards, called up my manager and [said], “Tom’s upset right now, he’s talking about trying to replace Travis, but I’m not into it. That’s not going to happen.” And sure enough, Tom, after a month, called back up and was like, “Hey you know what? I was just angry about it. It was a bad situation, and of course I don’t want to kick Travis out of the band.” I don’t think Tom was ever truly serious about it. Even at the time, I felt he was just angry and he just needed to vent.

You’ve made it clear that you’re doing the Musink date for the fans. I can’t understand why Tom wouldn’t want to support that.
I really don’t understand, either. I couldn’t speak for Tom—l hadn’t spoken with Tom in months. It’s the exact same thing that happened 10 years ago, when he went on indefinite hiatus before where we had a show booked and we had things on the other side. We got an email from his manager saying he was out [and] he was not going to be around to do what he said he was going to do. I don’t know why he wouldn’t just go and play one show and be done at that point.

Travis is also a partner in Musink and it seems weird to me that someone wouldn’t want to support the endeavors of a friend he had been in the trenches with for so long and through so much.
It’s weird to me, it’s weird to Travis. I think honestly, from everything we’ve heard from Tom’s manager and from what Tom has done—and is not doing even more so—Tom doesn’t want to be in Blink. It’s obvious. That’s fine. But it’s so confusing to get emails from people saying, “Tom’s out indefinitely, Tom’s not going to do these things, Tom doesn’t want to record, doesn’t want to tour, doesn’t want to do anything,” and then at the same time say, [adopts shocked tone] “I never quit the band. I just said I wasn’t ever going to do anything again.”

Perfect world situation: How would you want everything to be right now? Would you want Tom to get with the program, play for the fans and be part of a new Blink album? Or are you just completely over it?
The thing is we’ve tried to get Tom to engage [in Blink activity], and everything has been a very, very difficult struggle to get anything done with Blink for the last two years. Everything from getting a label deal done to even playing shows, and trying to get Tom into a studio. We’ve been trying that for the past two years. The ideal situation was two years ago when we said we were going to go into a studio and get working and it never happened. I think those days and that wishful thinking are gone.

If you got a call from him two hours from now and he said, “You’re right, let’s go do this,” would you say, “Cool,” or say “Gotta go, my other line’s ringing?” Has he burned any kind of goodwill bridge?
Just for me personally, it would be very hard to believe that would be the case, because we’ve had those exact conversations many, many times. We’ve all had conversations where everyone agreed that “this is what we’re going to do” and “we’re gonna get in the studio on this date, do this tour” or whatever it is and it doesn’t come to pass like it’s supposed to. I don’t know that I‘d believe it.

Travis and I have been ready to go for years to tour, to record this next album. Tom even did an interview with you guys: Most Anticipated Albums Of 2015 [saying] “Yeah, we’re gonna get in the studio. Yeah, we found a new partner for this [record].” All this stuff and then when it comes time to do the work and get in the studio or get on a tour bus or whatever it is, we get an email from his manager saying he’s out indefinitely. I know it’s confusing for people, but only as much as it’s confusing for us, because for Tom to insist that he loves Blink-182 or whatever it is, I think that his actions speak much louder than what he posts online.

And by the way, that’s cool. Travis and I aren’t angry or mad or whatever. When we got the email from Tom’s manager saying that he didn’t want to record, at least he was being honest at that point. We’ve been dragging for so long to try to get into the studio and try to get to work. For him to finally say, “I’m not going to do it,” was almost like, “Okay, now you’ve actually said it. Now let’s move forward: You do whatever you want to do and we’ll continue doing what we love doing. Which is Blink.

He’s puts out the bluster, then he’s backpedaling. Why?
I have no idea. Honestly, I don’t. I think that Tom doesn’t want to do Blink. I don’t think he has fun doing it. I think he has a good time when he’s onstage, but I think that other than that, he just doesn’t enjoy it. That’s just my guess and my observation from the past, whatever, three years?

Why did you pick Skiba?
We started talking about how we were going to be able to do this show. Travis and I sat down and we couldn’t even think of anybody else. There was nobody else that we even considered asking. He was the perfect fit. And Matt is going to do his own thing: He’s not going to try and walk onstage and be Tom. He’s going to be himself as a member of Blink that day, you know?

Will you be playing new tracks?
There won’t be any new tracks. We haven’t finalized the set list yet. I would like to play a bunch of old stuff, some newer stuff and just have fun. It feels like a license to have fun right now. I love Blink: I want to keep playing in Blink, I want to keep playing Blink songs. I love the legacy. I love where we started. I love where we’re going. I feel very relieved somehow. Everything is out in the open and everyone can do what they want to do. alt


Wow that's crazy stuff. Mark seems like he's really energized and focused 100% on blink now, which couldn't make me happier. The way he responded to toms tweet about Travis last night was perfect, he was almost defending him. My respect for Mark just went through the roof
Last edited by Chuck-182 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#12
Besides the activity around here, which is great, the other awesome thing to come from all this?

Tell-all from all sides of blink! We're at 2 consecutive days of being let into the weird world of blink, and I have the feeling it's not going to slow down. We're no longer having to sort through clearly-scripted veiled thoughts or statements from the band that could imply a double meaning.

Nah. The balls are out.
Image


twitter

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#13
Elevator wrote:Besides the activity around here, which is great, the other awesome thing to come from all this?

Tell-all from all sides of blink! We're at 2 consecutive days of being let into the weird world of blink, and I have the feeling it's not going to slow down. We're no longer having to sort through clearly-scripted veiled thoughts or statements from the band that could imply a double meaning.

Nah. The balls are out.


As heartbreaking as this whole thing has been I've been thinking the same thing. Honestly my biggest concern with this whole thing is their friendship, seems kinda weird to me but I would be okay with this whole situation if I knew somewhere down the line Mark and Tom would at least be friends again.
Image

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#14
The fact is that both in 2004/5 and in the past two years, Tom has made promises to fans and his bandmates without really intending to keep his word.

I'll give him credit for coming out with this "letter" which actually isn't full of vitriol or "poor me" statements, but highlights the parts of blink which he feels let down by - which is totally understandable because every story has two sides.

But while I think Mark and Travis could have given Tom a heads up that they were playing their last card - the "Oust-Your-Shit-To-The-Public Card" - I think they did it behind his back because they didn't want him panicking, half-heartedly committing to some studio time to keep them quiet, and then just letting the guys down again. If he knew Mark and Travis were literally at the end of their tether he may have offered a small olive branch in terms of short-term recording time, but ultimately blink would continue to limp on with two members committed, and the third perpetually distracted.

Tom has pulled so much shit for so long now that Mark and Travis have obviously decided to cut loose, and the only way to do that was to come clean to everyone, and then let Tom deal with it, not the other way round.
Image


The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#15
I actually don't mind the fact that blink won't be there anymore, it's not like this is a new feeling. I more depressed about the fact that the relationship between Tom and Mark and Travis is probably once again ruined. I just want to see them together as friends, enjoying each others company, like it was 15 years ago.
Image

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#16
As soon as I saw this on social media I thought "oh fuck" and then I heard it was a roomer and went "Errrr" and now I feel like I'm watching divorced parents fight over custody.
Image

Susan made this, I dug it up from the grave

tumblr/twitter

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#17
mike wrote:I more depressed about the fact that the relationship between Tom and Mark and Travis is probably once again ruined. I just want to see them together as friends, enjoying each others company, like it was 15 years ago.


I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!
Image

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#18
Honestly the most heartbreaking part of this entire thing, regardless of who is to blame, is that it just boils down to Mark and Travis versus Tom again.
Image

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

Re: BlinkGate 2015

#19
Chuck-182 wrote:Honestly the most heartbreaking part of this entire thing, regardless of who is to blame, is that it just boils down to Mark and Travis versus Tom again.


Yeah not sure if I can honestly stomach that again. Just comes off as so petty and childish to watch grown men trash each other out in the open without being direct.

Might be time for me to hang up my fandom for a while.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron