Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

Rainbow182 wrote:I'm gonna tell you just one thing. I don't wanna discuss about anything with you, cause we're on this forum for two different reasons. I'm here just for fun and to spend my free time. You are probably here to prove the others wrong(my opinion). So that's ok but I don't want to get into this.

Sorry for the OT.

What do you mean? You asked a question and I asked you to explain it, it wasn't an attack, it was a question to yours.

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Agent 12 wrote:
Rainbow182 wrote:I'm gonna tell you just one thing. I don't wanna discuss about anything with you, cause we're on this forum for two different reasons. I'm here just for fun and to spend my free time. You are probably here to prove the others wrong(my opinion). So that's ok but I don't want to get into this.

Sorry for the OT.

What do you mean? You asked a question and I asked you to explain it, it wasn't an attack, it was a question to yours.

I thought it was weird how Matt didn't respond to this.

I was hoping it would grow on me, but I still don't like the music video for Up All Night. I just don't believe this is what a neighborhood full of teens would do if there were no parents. They'd be partying, drinking, and fucking like there's no tomorrow. Not wearing masks/helmets, playing with food, and fighting each other with toys.

geordyplaysguitar wrote:The Wonder Years were decent on their first album. Then they got horrible when Soupy got all "I'm not sad anymore" and became an annoying, arrogant, preachy asshole that pretends he's the Jesus of pop-punk. His voice is annoying as hell and his lyrics aren't that good either. "I woke up today and put all my shit in boxes,
It's 8 am so I'm glad I wasn't out late." "I've been drowning my sorrows in Lucky Charms and soy milk." And I and a bunch of people I know have met him so don't tell me, "Oh you don't know he's preachy and blah blah blah." I had to watch their set and he was worse than AVA Tom.

And yeah to add to all that, their fans are the worst:
Spoiler: show

Just my opinion. I think The Wonder Years are the worst band in pop-punk besides Man Overboard.

I know this should be in the other bands topic, but I'm sure it won't carry on too much longer haha, so sorry guys!

But anyways, I'm just a casual fan who enjoys the albums. I discovered who they were a few years ago. When The Upsides came out, I can see how it's a turnoff for some, but for me, I love the emotional side of any songwriter. It turns out, Dan was writing songs I could relate to (not to the extent of "dude, Soupy gets me bro"). I just loved the honesty and emotional attachment the band had with that album alongside their simple pop-punk music. When Suburbia came out, I was satisfied. I think it's very enjoyable.

Sure you can point out some his bad lyrics, but I could do the same for any songwriter. I've found a lot of his lyrics to be extremely well written while simple, and the way he captures a mood and story to some songs is awesome in my opinion.

And sure you can base a band off their fanbase, but that's just a mediocre approach in my opinion. Every band has terrible fans. Some girl said she'd kill herself over blink not releasing a song. I guess that's all of us now. We suck.

But yeah if you hate them whatever haha, don't just claim me as "one of them" because I like their music.

c_ortiz93 wrote:I was hoping it would grow on me, but I still don't like the music video for Up All Night. I just don't believe this is what a neighborhood full of teens would do if there were no parents. They'd be partying, drinking, and fucking like there's no tomorrow. Not wearing masks/helmets, playing with food, and fighting each other with toys.

It's kind of ironic how a video, featuring a band made up entirely of parents, has the sign "No more parents" shown within the first 30 seconds.

Tyler44 wrote:
geordyplaysguitar wrote:The Wonder Years were decent on their first album. Then they got horrible when Soupy got all "I'm not sad anymore" and became an annoying, arrogant, preachy asshole that pretends he's the Jesus of pop-punk. His voice is annoying as hell and his lyrics aren't that good either. "I woke up today and put all my shit in boxes,
It's 8 am so I'm glad I wasn't out late." "I've been drowning my sorrows in Lucky Charms and soy milk." And I and a bunch of people I know have met him so don't tell me, "Oh you don't know he's preachy and blah blah blah." I had to watch their set and he was worse than AVA Tom.

And yeah to add to all that, their fans are the worst:
Spoiler: show

Just my opinion. I think The Wonder Years are the worst band in pop-punk besides Man Overboard.

I know this should be in the other bands topic, but I'm sure it won't carry on too much longer haha, so sorry guys!

But anyways, I'm just a casual fan who enjoys the albums. I discovered who they were a few years ago. When The Upsides came out, I can see how it's a turnoff for some, but for me, I love the emotional side of any songwriter. It turns out, Dan was writing songs I could relate to (not to the extent of "dude, Soupy gets me bro"). I just loved the honesty and emotional attachment the band had with that album alongside their simple pop-punk music. When Suburbia came out, I was satisfied. I think it's very enjoyable.

Sure you can point out some his bad lyrics, but I could do the same for any songwriter. I've found a lot of his lyrics to be extremely well written while simple, and the way he captures a mood and story to some songs is awesome in my opinion.

And sure you can base a band off their fanbase, but that's just a mediocre approach in my opinion. Every band has terrible fans. Some girl said she'd kill herself over blink not releasing a song. I guess that's all of us now. We suck.

But yeah if you hate them whatever haha, don't just claim me as "one of them" because I like their music.

Yeah, I mean I was just playing with you when I said that. I don't like them at all but I couldn't care less if you do. So all is good in the world of 182online, I told why I didn't like them, you told me why you did, now back to blink.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Nice try but Screeching Weasel is one of the founders of Pop Punk, plus they aren't whiny pussies, and they have something Wonder Years will never have, credibility and respect from entire genre of music and not to mention being an inspiration to pretty much every pop punk band to ever exist since the early 90's but do go on, tell me why they are shit and unlistenable.

Fentoozler wrote:if the fanbase doesn't approve, get a new one.

Sad, but true. Bands should do what they want to do and stop pandering to the fans. I think many of today's pop-punk bands are poppy garbage because they are trying to appeal to teenage girls and their scene boyfriends. Even though I think Daisy by Brand New sounds terrible, I do respect the band for doing what they wanted on that album. It didn't float everyone's boat, but whatever, the band did what they wanted.

Mark and Travis I think are doing what they want, while Tom is straddling a fence, trying to please all of his fans. He is try to be "cool" Tom with blink and make dick jokes and then he is trying to be the second coming of Christ with AvA with his bizarre stage performances and pretentious, recycled music. Regardless which band he is in, I feel like he is putting on an act and as a result is making mediocre music. He needs to find himself again, I think.

Ekim_Dude wrote:This whole "wonder years/whiny pop punk" argument is the stupidest thing in the world. blink is my absolute favorite band and all I have to say is Tom probably has the whiniest voice in all of pop punk. Music is music. fuck it.

It isn't about whiny or nasal vocals.... its about whiny lyrical content.

frisky wrote:
Ekim_Dude wrote:Tom probably has the whiniest voice in all of pop punk.

His voice is rather unique, though. He doesn't sound like 15+ other vocalists in the genre.

That's not true, there are quite a lot of bands that have his sort of voice. they're just kinda shitty, and are usually trying to emulate him.

and calling his voice unique is a stretch of a compliment, because his voice is fuckin' awful. not just now either, it always was. it was just cooler back in the 90s haha.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

frisky wrote:Sad, but true. Bands should do what they want to do and stop pandering to the fans. I think many of today's pop-punk bands are poppy garbage because they are trying to appeal to teenage girls and their scene boyfriends. Even though I think Daisy by Brand New sounds terrible, I do respect the band for doing what they wanted on that album. It didn't float everyone's boat, but whatever, the band did what they wanted.

Mark and Travis I think are doing what they want, while Tom is straddling a fence, trying to please all of his fans. He is try to be "cool" Tom with blink and make dick jokes and then he is trying to be the second coming of Christ with AvA with his bizarre stage performances and pretentious, recycled music. Regardless which band he is in, I feel like he is putting on an act and as a result is making mediocre music. He needs to find himself again, I think.

The more I read that, the more I completely agree with it.