Re: The best editing/mixing programs?

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
Tyler wrote:i have a question for you recording people !!

basically i have no recording stuff. but i use audacity and a shitty mic, which i just put in front of my amp. the sound quality is pretty bad, like sometimes i can't tell the differnet between two powerchords even if i lower the distortion.
is this like, audacity's fault? the mics fault? or just everything lol. like with a better program would quality be better? i really don't know.
and i think i've got a pretty decent soundcard in my comp

what sort of shitty mic? micing up an amp is actually how a lot of electric guitar recording is done so either you've got it stupidly loud or your mic is just terrible.

for micing up an amp you need a decent dynamic microphone, this is what I'd recommend : http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... 8Q8wIwAg#p

I have a Shure SM57, 4 guitars, a bass, and a drum kit.. But I don't know what kind of interface thingy to plug my mic into, so at the moment everything sounds like shit when it's recorded. :embarrassed:
Suggestions?

I'm going to TAFE for sound production next year.
Sig by Djenni

shadowofahelicopter wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-Music-Recording-Studio/dp/B002P3KINE

I'm looking at buying this recording box with pro tools. Anyone know if its worth it for the money cuz I'm not looking at spending more, and I'm buying this $80 mic for singing. Can you guys tell me if its good for singing or if you have other recommendations.
http://www.amazon.com/MXL-990-Condenser ... y_MI_img_c

For that price, that's a pretty good deal, especially if you're just starting out in regards to recording and such. seems worth the money.

vocal microphone wise, it all depends on what you want and what your budget is. if you want something worth while but not ridiculously expensive I'd always go with a Shure mic. I started with an SM58, but it's more of a live mic then a recording mic. honestly though, for just starting out, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it's well made it'll do what you want it to.

Kurt182 wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:

basically i have no recording stuff. but i use audacity and a shitty mic, which i just put in front of my amp. the sound quality is pretty bad, like sometimes i can't tell the differnet between two powerchords even if i lower the distortion.
is this like, audacity's fault? the mics fault? or just everything lol. like with a better program would quality be better? i really don't know.

what sort of shitty mic? micing up an amp is actually how a lot of electric guitar recording is done so either you've got it stupidly loud or your mic is just terrible.

for micing up an amp you need a decent dynamic microphone, this is what I'd recommend : http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... 8Q8wIwAg#p

I have a Shure SM57, 4 guitars, a bass, and a drum kit.. But I don't know what kind of interface thingy to plug my mic into, so at the moment everything sounds like shit when it's recorded. :embarrassed:
Suggestions?

You need an audio interface of some kind, so you can jack in your guitars and such through to some software on your computer. to record drums though you'll need quite a few different microphones.
that mic is only good for your vocals, micing up amps is a little different. I don't know what TAFE is, is that an american thing?

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:Cubase is SOOOOOO FUCKING BAD. sorry. haha. I always have to say that.

Reaper is quite good.

Cubase fucking blows. It eats up a monstrous, and I mean MONSTROUS pile of your computers resources, is completely non-user friendly, and you can use all the nice expensive shit you want, nothing ever comes out right in cubase.

twitter

Kurt182 wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:

Suggestions?

I knew that I needed lots of mic's for my drums, like Audix or something. But just for my guitars. Can you recommend a good interface to plug my mics into? Not to pricey, but I will pay a reasonable amount if it means it's not shit.

And TAFE is an Australian thing. In your country, if you wanted to learn how to be a sound engineer, or a computer technitian, or a chef or something, where do you go?
Sig by Djenni

Well, either University or some sort of apprenticeship. I did a Music Technology diploma. was a massive waste of time.

anyway, it depends on your price range and what sort of thing your looking for. if it's just to plug in one guitar and maybe do some vocals then there are quite small compact options. quite like the one shadowofahelicopter was looking at. however if you want something a little more, that you can do various multi-tracking with, then your looking at something a bit more expensive. I personally use this : http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre and I use Logic software. the motu cost me about £380 I'm not sure how much that is in Aus currency though. microphone wise I just bought a drum mic set, as it came with everything you could ever possibly need to record a drum kit, but also means you can use the same condensors and dynamics for everything else. didn't cost too much either.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:Well, either University or some sort of apprenticeship. I did a Music Technology diploma. was a massive waste of time.

anyway, it depends on your price range and what sort of thing your looking for. if it's just to plug in one guitar and maybe do some vocals then there are quite small compact options. quite like the one shadowofahelicopter was looking at. however if you want something a little more, that you can do various multi-tracking with, then your looking at something a bit more expensive. I personally use this : http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre and I use Logic software. the motu cost me about £380 I'm not sure how much that is in Aus currency though. microphone wise I just bought a drum mic set, as it came with everything you could ever possibly need to record a drum kit, but also means you can use the same condensors and dynamics for everything else. didn't cost too much either.

Thanks! :D
Sig by Djenni