DO NOT POST DOWNLOAD LEAKS. INSTA-BAN IF YOU DO!

Which Songs off "Neighborhoods" Did Mark Play Guitar On?

I remember Mark saying in at least a couple of videos around the release of the new album that he played songs on a few songs off "Neighborhoods". However, besides Kaleidoscope (since there's a video of him recording guitar for the bridge), I'm not sure which songs he played guitar on. According to interviews, I know that Tom definitely played guitar on Ghost on the Dancefloor, Up All Night, and After Midnight. I suspect that to get the album done faster (towards the end), Mark and Travis presented some songs that were finished instrumentally to Tom, and then asked him to write lyrics and melodies and sing on them. I think people would be correct in saying that the more AVA sounding songs had songwriting and guitar playing contributions from Tom. Here's my speculations for who played guitar on the songs I haven't mentioned already:

Tom: Natives, Snakecharmer, Wishing Well, This is Home, Love is Dangerous

Mark: Heart's All Gone Interlude, Heart's All Gone, MH 4.18.2011, Fighting the Gravity, Even If She Falls

I suspect that Heart's All Gone Interlude was all Mark; and that Fighting the Gravity, MH 4.18.2011, and Heart's All Gone were created by Mark and Travis with very little input from Tom.

What do you all think / what have you all heard from interviews about who plays guitar on songs off "Neighborhoods" that I'm not aware of, that I haven't discussed here?
Last edited by teenager17 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Which Songs of "Neighborhoods" Did Mark Play Guitar On?

I don't think Mark wrote the guitar for Even If She Falls. it's a very standard Tom Delonge style of riff.

besides that I'd agree, but I think that was all kind of obvious. You can tell who wrote what on this album very clearly, and you can tell that on all of the Mark songs, that it's definitely not Tom's style of guitar work. it bleeds through very clearly.

It makes me sad a little, because you can hear Mark's bass influence throughout all of the Tom heavy songs, yet fuck all of Tom's influence on the Mark heavy songs. Despite it looking on the surface that Tom had more input on this record, I actually think he took a backseat and fuelled most of his efforts into AvA's latest album, hence why his vocals are produced better, and how the songs have a more layered, cared for instrumentation and production. Sadly this still doesn't stop those songs being shit, but you can tell which album had his focus more.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: Which Songs of "Neighborhoods" Did Mark Play Guitar On?

teenager17 wrote:Tom: Natives, Snakecharmer, Wishing Well, This is Home, Love is Dangerous

Mark: Heart's All Gone Interlude, Heart's All Gone, MH 4.18.2011, Fighting the Gravity, Even If She Falls

I suspect that Heart's All Gone Interlude was all Mark; and that Fighting the Gravity, MH 4.18.2011, and Heart's All Gone were created by Mark and Travis with very little input from Tom.

I agree with Kay, Even If She Falls has a Tom sound, the intro is very similar to Dysentery Gary and the sliding octaves in the verses sound a bit like Not Now.

Also, the guitar in Kaleidoscope is definitely done by Mark. You can tell by the intro riff, doesn't sound like Tom at all.

I think Mark also played the rhythm guitar in After Midnight. It sounds like his guitars, especially in the bridge.

Re: Which Songs off "Neighborhoods" Did Mark Play Guitar On?

Tyler wrote:Even If She Falls was probs Tom like the others said, and the HAG interlude is really hard to tell.

Mark's already said he wrote the song and wasn't sure whether it should be slow and moody or fast and hard so he just did both, plus to me it sounds a lot like the +44 interlude. So I'm pretty sure it's all Mark.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
Tyler wrote:Even If She Falls was probs Tom like the others said, and the HAG interlude is really hard to tell.

Mark's already said he wrote the song and wasn't sure whether it should be slow and moody or fast and hard so he just did both, plus to me it sounds a lot like the +44 interlude. So I'm pretty sure it's all Mark.

Yeah I assume it is Mark, but it's really hard to tell, it's a bit Cure-ish and I could see Tom playing i. It'd be funny if Tom actually did write something like the Kaleidoscope intro haha, some people got so cut that they couldn't hear Tom in some songs.

I agree that the Tom songs have more Mark influence than vice-versa, but i dont think it means Tom wasnt fully commited to the album and just added his bits here and there. He's said he obssesses over songs when he's involved with them and I don't think Love pt2 shows more commitment to quality than Neighborhoods, it's just better than Love pt1 coz Tom seemed to have a more prolific writing spell, making more interesting, catchy tunes imo.
Mark's songs are great and nearer to old blink's sound, Tom songs probably needed Mark's grounding to bring them back from AvA-land, so i think that's probably why they allowed more Mark input on Tom tracks than the other way round.
Also, isn't This Is Home originally a Mark song that Tom took and changed the verses too, and wrote lyrics for, that's a pretty big input...(to rubbish the point I just made (Y) )

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus