DO NOT POST DOWNLOAD LEAKS. INSTA-BAN IF YOU DO!

Re: Fighting The Gravity

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
Raku wrote:This is the only song that I can not get into.

Sorry for every one that likes this one, but this is the one I dislike out of the whole album. I won't pull a kay and delete it from my library because I have collection OCD... I will just be skipping it...

I would really love for 'pulling a kay' as in 'to delete songs from iTunes' to become a thing around here. I fully encourage it.

And I cannot believe it was called the worst. I mean, why? it's one of the only ones that sounds like nothing else they've ever done. it actually pushes some boundries.

I can't get over the 'something swimming in my blood, somethings rotting in my brain, lungs smothered from the flood, I can't recognise your face' bit. possibly my favourite part of the whole album.

Exactly. Which is why I thought it was absolutely absurd that it was called "the biggest dud of the album." It's so weird and cool, and so very different from anything they have ever created. I guess some reviewers don't like different?

brianedge wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:

Sorry for every one that likes this one, but this is the one I dislike out of the whole album. I won't pull a kay and delete it from my library because I have collection OCD... I will just be skipping it...

I would really love for 'pulling a kay' as in 'to delete songs from iTunes' to become a thing around here. I fully encourage it.

And I cannot believe it was called the worst. I mean, why? it's one of the only ones that sounds like nothing else they've ever done. it actually pushes some boundries.

I can't get over the 'something swimming in my blood, somethings rotting in my brain, lungs smothered from the flood, I can't recognise your face' bit. possibly my favourite part of the whole album.

Exactly. Which is why I thought it was absolutely absurd that it was called "the biggest dud of the album." It's so weird and cool, and so very different from anything they have ever created. I guess some reviewers don't like different?

i don't want to be a downer, but i can relate with the reviewers... not because of the weirdness of the song (which i really dig)... but because the song goes no where. the verse is epic, probably one of the strongest parts in the album and once the chorus comes along, the song just flops. in short, the song is just really subtle. and yah, some people might think that it is the subtlety which makes the song, but for me, it ruins it, especially since mark hardly gets any songs of his own on the record. since he has so little, he can't afford to make just a bland song. he's gotta' make an impact. and unfortunately, i didn't find it.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

brianedge wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:

some reviewers want to hear the old Blink, not some experimental dark stuff from them. that's why.

espinozac wrote:some reviewers want to hear the old Blink, not some experimental dark stuff from them. that's why.

some fans too. I am more then happy with this song on the album!
"Every once in a while I like to f*** pigs..." - Tom

KayTheMagnificent is magnificent for creating this image

BG9352 wrote:
espinozac wrote:some reviewers want to hear the old Blink, not some experimental dark stuff from them. that's why.

some fans too. I am more then happy with this song on the album!

that's right... and some fans can't get over the fact that Blink isn't in their 20s and won't write songs about girls and teenage problems.

i'm happy with this song as well!

Made me lol when I read somewhere that Fighting the Gravity sucks because it is basically an AVA song that Mark was given to sing.

Also, on a serious note, this song always struck me as like a Mark's indie response to Tom's grandiose GOTDF.

Spoiler: show
Exactly the reason why it should've been the closer, but whatever.

Fentoozler wrote:

When I first listened to the album, I thought that to myself as well. It would have been the I'm Lost Without You for Neighborhoods, IMO
"Every once in a while I like to f*** pigs..." - Tom

KayTheMagnificent is magnificent for creating this image

espinozac wrote:
brianedge wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:

some reviewers want to hear the old Blink, not some experimental dark stuff from them. that's why.

yeah but I think that's a really unrealistic "want" on their part.

Fentoozler wrote:Made me lol when I read somewhere that Fighting the Gravity sucks because it is basically an AVA song that Mark was given to sing.

Also, on a serious note, this song always struck me as like a Mark's indie response to Tom's grandiose GOTDF.

it kind of is in a sense since the chorus goes nowhere :cheeky:
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:
Fentoozler wrote:Made me lol when I read somewhere that Fighting the Gravity sucks because it is basically an AVA song that Mark was given to sing.

Well GOTDF has an OK chorus I guess. Nothing special, but nowhere near as bad as AVA's.

As for FTG, I love the chorus the way it is, because it fits the mood of the song... It's a song about death/depression/resignation and a rocking chorus would really feel out of place in such a song.

Fentoozler wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:

Well GOTDF has an OK chorus I guess. Nothing special, but nowhere near as bad as AVA's.

As for FTG, I love the chorus the way it is, because it fits the mood of the song... It's a song about death/depression/resignation and a rocking chorus would really feel out of place in such a song.

i guess i can kind of understand where you are coming from in regards to the chorus of FTG... but then again, weatherman was extremely depressing and still had an amazing chorus. i don't know. it was a rocking chorus and didn't seem out of place. it's possible. and i am all for subtlety when it comes to songs, but not when it is boring. and boring and blink don't mix well with me :P
-Hot Water Music

'fun' songs? Hearts All Gone is filled with hate. fun isn't the word I'd use.

Also, at first I didn't like the chorus of FTG, and I still think it's a little much with the vocal overlapping. but a chorus doesn't have to explode. this song isn't an average rock song, either. and it really does work with the song. it's just something unexpected.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:'fun' songs? Hearts All Gone is filled with hate. fun isn't the word I'd use.

Also, at first I didn't like the chorus of FTG, and I still think it's a little much with the vocal overlapping. but a chorus doesn't have to explode. this song isn't an average rock song, either. and it really does work with the song. it's just something unexpected.

yeah, I agree I think the chorus maybe isn't the first think you would think of, but it's different and I think it fits nicely with the song. the verses are awesome as well.

man, i wish i could like it as much as you guys do. it's just that the structure of the song seems to be completely off balanced. it just feels really weird when the verse actually overwhelms the chorus. a build up is meant to build up... not break down haha. i mean, when you look at the album as a whole, mark hardly has his own songs. if he has three songs out of thirteen, he's gotta' shine, man. shine!! that's just my take on it, i guess. sucks for me.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:man, i wish i could like it as much as you guys do. it's just that the structure of the song seems to be completely off balanced. it just feels really weird when the verse actually overwhelms the chorus. a build up is meant to build up... not break down haha. i mean, when you look at the album as a whole, mark hardly has his own songs. if he has three songs out of thirteen, he's gotta' shine, man. shine!! that's just my take on it, i guess. sucks for me.

I think that this song is so different that it either rubs you in a good way or in a bad way lol. At first I thought mehhh. But now I love this song, I have no reasoning for it.