The Forum 'Shuffle'

Now that we have a sleek 'n' sexy forum, the new blink album is on the horizon and we're more up to date on the front page and social media than we have been in years, we very potentially could become more active around here.
with that in mind, We're considering cleaning up parts of the blink section of the board. Here's the ideas -

Firstly, Matt seems basically like an official member, so should he have his own section?
Secondly, Tom is no longer in blink, and AVA is therefore not really associated to blink at all, nor is ToTheStars. What if we made the Tom section the Tom / AVA / TTS section, and left Side Projects for +44, BCR, Transplants etc?

The past tours section also seems somewhat redundant, so it may be worth deleting it.
------

Now we have no real concerns with shuffling the other sections except potentially the musicians one - it could be cut down to just 'musicians' and put with the rest of the random stuff, it's used so little that it seems like a waste of scroll space to have a whole section with separate topics.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: The Forum 'Shuffle'

Personally I think the general discussion thread is a blessing and a curse. It's a fun thread with a ton of history, but it and the random topic are virtually the only two threads ever utilized. That's sort of a problem. What I've done below is outright ditch some low-traffic areas of the board, consolidated a few forums together, etc. There's no need to have each member getting their own forum when the blink forum is clearly better oriented to house all of that stuff, as it's hardly overrun with topics or cluttered. Side Projects & Other Bands may as well be one group, leaving a Hangout area for more personal/user-driven area, and a developer area that honestly you could make most forums inside of that section admin/mod-visible only.

Here's how I would lay it out:

SECTION ( - forum)

BLINK-182
- blink 182 general dicussion

SIDE PROJECTS & OTHER BANDS
- box car racer
- +44
- angels & airwaves/tom delonge
- other bands

HANGOUT
- introduce yourself
- promote your music/art
- personal problems
- tech support
- entertainment

BACK END
- bug reports
- locked topics
- announcements

twitter

KayTheMagnificent wrote:Hmm. Not sure how I feel about cutting out that much stuff.

Ask yourself how much of it is used and how much of it is redundant or outright pointless.

Some of those forums haven't had posts since 2013, others from 2011 or maybe earlier. Why keep them around? I feel a goal of a forum is to open the board in a web browser and be able to see every section/forum without scrolling down.

This forum sometimes reeks of hoarders: buried alive. Throw stuff away. You'll be glad you did.

twitter

the only one as far back as 2013 is the lyrics one, which I'm proposing removing already, most of the others have posts from 2015 and considering the forum was down for months I'm not so sure about just axing a bunch of it because of dates.
In this forums hayday, most of these sections were used on the regular, so I don't want to just get rid of *all* of it, but it does need some tightening, I can agree.
I'm curious what others think of this, see if we can all come down to an agreeable decision.

My Music

This is the first time i've seen this o.O

The musicians section is the only one that needs major changes really. Like you said it doesnt need to have sub forums for each instrument. Musicians should just be a forum with threads for each section. Was gonna say remove the locker room but it seems people actually use that. I can probably look into it more later.

I'm open to change, but I think we should leave the categories as is. Even if I have to admit it's nostalgic. Also, I miss the rankings bars.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Ryan. wrote:They are still there i think
If you click on someonesale avatar a little a little window pops up

Ah I see now, but I'd still bring it back into the user column.

Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

1) Get ride of the band member topics. Combined them into one section, if you really want to keep them.
2) Create a Travis side projects topic and a Matt General Discussion topic
3) Combined Photo/Art, Lyrics, and Promotion topic (it's all personal stuff)
4) Get ride of Debates. Those topics can go in the General Discussion
5) Rename the Banana Stand so newer members know what the hell that section is when scolling
6) Get rid of the Musicians topic (if you have a question post it in general chat)

frisky wrote:1) Get ride of the band member topics. Combined them into one section, if you really want to keep them.
5) Rename the Banana Stand so newer members know what the hell that section is when scolling
6) Get rid of the Musicians topic (if you have a question post it in general chat)

2 I totally agree with

5. BLASPHEMY! Arrested Development is perfect and that is my favorite joke. There's ALWAYS money in the banana stand!

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

frisky wrote:1) Get ride of the band member topics. Combined them into one section, if you really want to keep them.

All of it.

StrongTower182 wrote:Renaming the Banana Stand is like changing your last name just for the sake of it. :/

Oh I know, it's crazy. I'm just looking at it from a new member's perspective. It's an odd name. I'd like for people to actually venture outside the blink section.

In fairness I hated it from the beginning but I was outvoted on that front haha, I'm fine with that. I like some of those ideas, specifically the Photos/art, lyric, promotion stuff being under one grouping. maybe like "Express Yourself" or something?

I wouldn't wanna scrap debate and musicians all together personally, but if other people agree with that then who am I to argue. the other topics make sense, I assume for the side projects section.

My Music