Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

I wonder how many times these people compare him to drummers of different genres. Trying to compare drummers of different styles is like trying to compare french fries and oreos. And when you can recognize a fill or pattern and think "that sounds like Travis Barker", then he obviously must be doing something right. Additionally, technical skill or not, I think one of his biggest attributes is his stage presence and energy. He's always playing like if it's his last ever show, and that draws a crowd. Compare that to most metalcore drummers who play some kick pattern laid out on a computer with half-time china hits and is stiff as a board.

Christian wrote:I wonder how many times these people compare him to drummers of different genres. Trying to compare drummers of different styles is like trying to compare french fries and oreos. And when you can recognize a fill or pattern and think "that sounds like Travis Barker", then he obviously must be doing something right. Additionally, technical skill or not, I think one of his biggest attributes is his stage presence and energy. He's always playing like if it's his last ever show, and that draws a crowd. Compare that to most metalcore drummers who play some kick pattern laid out on a computer with half-time china hits and is stiff as a board.

That was one of my favorite passages of his book. When he was basically all like "I hold my hands too high, I play with my drums flat when they should be at an angle, but it puts on a better show."**

**Paraphrased obviously.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Well there goes that dream.

I'm fairly certain Tom's post was a hint, as in there's a decent chance he's been actually discussing it with Travis.

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Figured though IF they do anything it would either be a tour OR Travis would do some drum work for AVA.

I doubt Travis would ever touch AVA. That's completely not his type of thing and I can tell from the comments he's made in the past.

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Can't help but feel like Mark would be pissed off even more then with BCR..

I don't know, I feel that he'd be more respectful about it this time around.

Dookie wrote:I'm not holding my breath for anything, but it's a pretty cool idea regardless. Although, I doubt Tom would make anything that sounded out of the vein of BCR ever again. The closest we ever got was the punk-rock song on his solo CD. Even that was a stretch.

When I was Young at times sounded like BCR. Love that song

Thanks to Kay for the awesome sig!

gusgiann wrote:
Dookie wrote:I'm not holding my breath for anything, but it's a pretty cool idea regardless. Although, I doubt Tom would make anything that sounded out of the vein of BCR ever again. The closest we ever got was the punk-rock song on his solo CD. Even that was a stretch.

When I was Young at times sounded like BCR. Love that song

Overload is a good example of how BCR could sound, just a bit more raw.
Artillery does have some BCR vibe too, but it's too slow.
I'll keep my head exploding,
And keep on loving you,
Feed me; I'm your parasite.

I'm sure many people would be excited about this:

Travis Barker Talks Tattoos and Pain
GQ has an extensive profile on Travis Barker of Blink-182. This passage about the possibility of a Box Car Racer reunion sure is interesting:

I think we were both under the impression in the beginning that it was going to be a Blink album. Then it was like, no let’s do this cool little side project, but we won’t put an album out. Then the label heard it and wanted to put it out. Then there wasn’t going to be a tour, but they were like ah, you can do this tour. It just spiraled out of control. . . But I don’t know. [Mark’s] not in the band, so would it cause a lot of problems? Would it not? I have no idea. It’s something I can’t even wrap my head around just because I’m so proud of this album that we’re currently supporting. But I love Box Car. It was a cool album and cool sound.

Here's the full article:

http://www.gq.com/story/travis-barker-b ... s-and-pain
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

I think Travis seems like the kind of musician who would love to work with Tom again (as he would anyone, really). I think it'd be badass if they did another Box Car type thing but I think they'd be more interested in doing something a bit more unique and abstract. Tom won't want to tour for it anyway, so Mark wouldn't need to get all butthurt over it.

I thought about how Travis wouldn't want to make Mark uncomfortable about it, but I think Travis would do it anyway because Mark knows Travis is accountable and professional with no bullshit about what he's doing and working with.

That being said, I think it'll be awhile before he and Tom cross paths again, much less make music.

twitter