Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#342
PantaRhei wrote:
MilfredCubicle wrote:Those lyrics were pretty awesome if you ask me. It was dark, raw, and serious. Just how it should be.

Still the best non-blink thing any blink member ever did, hands down. And that's coming from an ava fan who hardly ever listens to BCR anymore.



It really was. Honestly that album is my second favorite album. Self titled being the first(obviously)
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#343
MilfredCubicle wrote:
PantaRhei wrote:
MilfredCubicle wrote:Those lyrics were pretty awesome if you ask me. It was dark, raw, and serious. Just how it should be.

Still the best non-blink thing any blink member ever did, hands down. And that's coming from an ava fan who hardly ever listens to BCR anymore.



It really was. Honestly that album is my second favorite album. Self titled being the first(obviously)


Same. I still listen to both often.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#348
MilfredCubicle wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:It's easily one of my fave albums of all time, but the lyrics stick out worse because of the serious nature of the record, thats what I meant. yeah, lyrics were bad in early blink... but they werent 'serious' songs, so it didn't matter as much.


Care to elaborate? I've never cringed at BCR lyrics


Eeeerrrgggh fine

I'm not saying they're his worst lyrics at all, because there's a truck load of awful ones he's written since the creation of AVA. so BCR lyrics are.. generally.. acceptable, but some of them bug the shit out of me for various reasons.

Let's be a total pedantic fuck about it and go song by song -

I Feel So

In most cases I dislike super simplistic lyrics but they're clearly here on purpose. the song jumps from childish idealism to aggressive teenage angst shit, it's clearly meant to be about growing up and having the illusions of childhood shattered. or at least that's how I always saw it.

However,
I wish I was you not I


To start with, in the words of Mark Hoppus, 'It's a subjunctive, people!'. it should be 'were', not 'was'. it's a little thing, but Tom frequently screws up english language wise in his lyrics and its annoying. it also technically should be 'I wish I were you, not me' but that's extra levels of pickiness that are over the top, even for me.

Watch The World

It's a sweet song but essentially everything after the first verse bothers me. I have and still cannot understand the whole 'box' that gets rid of heart ache and cures cancer. when I was younger I thought it was some vague metaphor about engagement ring boxes and medical machines or something to that effect but now it just kinda comes across like magic gibberish. the whole verse is clearly some sort of day dream or something but if you actually think about them they're daft as fuck. plus the choruses bother me because they're a bit pointlessly 'sweet'.
It's actually one of my favourite BCR songs, too. I loved it growing up but now I just ignore the lyrics completely.

Cat Like Thief

The whole damn song has stupid ass lyrics, but I don't know if Tom wrote the ones Tim Armstrong sings. as for his little choruses, they're... odd, but I like them for the most part, except the 'That she was, I feel her more than you'. it's an 'incredibly' awkward line. She being the 'best thing yet to help you through and through' thing, means the sentence is just backwards for making the rhyme and lyric work. it's awkward and annoying to me, always has been.

Letters To God

To criticise this song actually hurts but it's one of the ones I have lyric issues with so there we are.

It's two lines, specifically.

1. the air is as dark and cold as night This sounds like something an 8 year old would write when trying to write a scary story or something. it's the most mundane, simplistic thing and it's cheesy as all balls. almost as bad as 'the ice is really cold'.
2. at least a fucking 1,000 times before The swearing is unneccessary and ruins the feel of the song. I've never been someone to have an issue with swearing in music and I've always felt, most of the time, that it works to convey emotion but in this song it just sticks out and almost mocks the sincerity of the song itself. it really irks me.

Sorrow


Again, another favourite. *sigh*.
I'm sorry please forgive me
Believe me if you would

This is one of my biggest Tom Delonge pet peeves. His complete lack of respect for the english language.
would is a verb, essentially meaning the past tense of 'will'.
saying 'forgive me, believe me' is in the present tense. it would need to be 'believe me if you will', and later on 'believe me if you can' for the 'could' line.
it's such a simple thing but Tom does things like that constantly and it makes me want to punch his childhood teachers.

The End With You

I can feel the world collapse around me from within.
And the letters keep coming by to let us know when time will die.

The first line bugs me mostly for the pause between 'around me' and 'from within'. it's like the 'from within' line has more importance, making the nod to some emoish 'my life is over waah' type of feeling which... is just super lame, if you ask me.
as for the second line 'to let us know when time will die' ... seriously I can't be the only person here who thinks that lyric is bad? it's so... juvenile.

The ones I've left out aren't necessarily good, they're just not bad.

I adore this album so I hate ripping it apart but Tom has always been just a poor lyricist. I'm always completely shocked when people comment how 'great' his lyrics are. it genuinely makes me question if they listen to any other music ever. I cannot think of a musician I enjoy who's lyrics are worse than Tom's.
Mark's aren't great, either. they're quite meh, but in comparison to Tom's he's freakin' shakespeare.

To this day my favourite Tom lyric is from Chesire Cat, of all things.

"Depression's just a sarcastic state of mind" .

I also want to note that I don't pretend to be someone who's really good with the english language, I'm dyslexic haha but the errors he makes are really obvious to me so I'm always surprised that it doesn't bother anyone else, or more importantly, why he doesn't bloody notice them in the first place.

Sorry for the long post, I love this album I swear haha
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#351
KayTheMagnificent wrote:
MilfredCubicle wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:It's easily one of my fave albums of all time, but the lyrics stick out worse because of the serious nature of the record, thats what I meant. yeah, lyrics were bad in early blink... but they werent 'serious' songs, so it didn't matter as much.


Care to elaborate? I've never cringed at BCR lyrics


Eeeerrrgggh fine

I'm not saying they're his worst lyrics at all, because there's a truck load of awful ones he's written since the creation of AVA. so BCR lyrics are.. generally.. acceptable, but some of them bug the shit out of me for various reasons.

Let's be a total pedantic fuck about it and go song by song -

I Feel So

In most cases I dislike super simplistic lyrics but they're clearly here on purpose. the song jumps from childish idealism to aggressive teenage angst shit, it's clearly meant to be about growing up and having the illusions of childhood shattered. or at least that's how I always saw it.

However,
I wish I was you not I


To start with, in the words of Mark Hoppus, 'It's a subjunctive, people!'. it should be 'were', not 'was'. it's a little thing, but Tom frequently screws up english language wise in his lyrics and its annoying. it also technically should be 'I wish I were you, not me' but that's extra levels of pickiness that are over the top, even for me.

Watch The World

It's a sweet song but essentially everything after the first verse bothers me. I have and still cannot understand the whole 'box' that gets rid of heart ache and cures cancer. when I was younger I thought it was some vague metaphor about engagement ring boxes and medical machines or something to that effect but now it just kinda comes across like magic gibberish. the whole verse is clearly some sort of day dream or something but if you actually think about them they're daft as fuck. plus the choruses bother me because they're a bit pointlessly 'sweet'.
It's actually one of my favourite BCR songs, too. I loved it growing up but now I just ignore the lyrics completely.

Cat Like Thief

The whole damn song has stupid ass lyrics, but I don't know if Tom wrote the ones Tim Armstrong sings. as for his little choruses, they're... odd, but I like them for the most part, except the 'That she was, I feel her more than you'. it's an 'incredibly' awkward line. She being the 'best thing yet to help you through and through' thing, means the sentence is just backwards for making the rhyme and lyric work. it's awkward and annoying to me, always has been.

Letters To God

To criticise this song actually hurts but it's one of the ones I have lyric issues with so there we are.

It's two lines, specifically.

1. the air is as dark and cold as night This sounds like something an 8 year old would write when trying to write a scary story or something. it's the most mundane, simplistic thing and it's cheesy as all balls. almost as bad as 'the ice is really cold'.
2. at least a fucking 1,000 times before The swearing is unneccessary and ruins the feel of the song. I've never been someone to have an issue with swearing in music and I've always felt, most of the time, that it works to convey emotion but in this song it just sticks out and almost mocks the sincerity of the song itself. it really irks me.

Sorrow


Again, another favourite. *sigh*.
I'm sorry please forgive me
Believe me if you would

This is one of my biggest Tom Delonge pet peeves. His complete lack of respect for the english language.
would is a verb, essentially meaning the past tense of 'will'.
saying 'forgive me, believe me' is in the present tense. it would need to be 'believe me if you will', and later on 'believe me if you can' for the 'could' line.
it's such a simple thing but Tom does things like that constantly and it makes me want to punch his childhood teachers.

The End With You

I can feel the world collapse around me from within.
And the letters keep coming by to let us know when time will die.

The first line bugs me mostly for the pause between 'around me' and 'from within'. it's like the 'from within' line has more importance, making the nod to some emoish 'my life is over waah' type of feeling which... is just super lame, if you ask me.
as for the second line 'to let us know when time will die' ... seriously I can't be the only person here who thinks that lyric is bad? it's so... juvenile.

The ones I've left out aren't necessarily good, they're just not bad.

I adore this album so I hate ripping it apart but Tom has always been just a poor lyricist. I'm always completely shocked when people comment how 'great' his lyrics are. it genuinely makes me question if they listen to any other music ever. I cannot think of a musician I enjoy who's lyrics are worse than Tom's.
Mark's aren't great, either. they're quite meh, but in comparison to Tom's he's freakin' shakespeare.

To this day my favourite Tom lyric is from Chesire Cat, of all things.

"Depression's just a sarcastic state of mind" .

I also want to note that I don't pretend to be someone who's really good with the english language, I'm dyslexic haha but the errors he makes are really obvious to me so I'm always surprised that it doesn't bother anyone else, or more importantly, why he doesn't bloody notice them in the first place.

Sorry for the long post, I love this album I swear haha



I +1 you for this haha. I get what you mean, but I'm not an English major so it doesn't bother me. It sounds good to me. Yeah it's not perfect, but if something was perfect then the only thing you after that is fail.

Mark though is not that much better, if better, than Tom's lyrics. I think they are equal in their song writing. Mark's work on Neighborhoods sometimes made me second take what he was saying. Fighting The Gravity makes me cringe. The whole This makes no sense repeating gets to me. I hate it. Also Shadow of a helicopter? What the fuck? Makes no sense. I think if Mark has made as many releases as Tom has we would see that they equally have their share of bad lyrics.


One of the best song writers I know of is Dan Campell from The Wonder Years. His lyrics are damn good. Hit close to home. His acoustic side project Aaron West in The Roaring Twenties is lyrical masterpiece.

He tops Mark and Tom in song writing for sure
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#352
BCR lyrics aren't very good but the grammar isn't why I don't like them. They are just really dumb at times and nonsensical (and not in a 'ooh so abstract' way). I'd still take them over AVA lyrics 'cause at least BCR lyrics have a bit more conviction to them.

As for Mark, his lyrics aren't all that impressive either. Fighting the Gravity is fine though. Really don't know how 'this makes no sense' or the song in general makes people cringe so much lol.

Neither of them have me going 'oh nice lyrics'. That's what people like Kendrick Lamar are for. Tom and Mark are/were best at just writing average but heartfelt lyrics to go with their songs.

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#353
If Soupy is being touted as a lyrical genius, we are fucked.

Cheshire Cat probably does have some of Tom's best writing, I would agree with Kay there. Carousel is a simple but great song lyrically, despite present-day Tom hating it (which probably means something).
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#355
frisky wrote:
breathwish wrote:If Soupy is being touted as a lyrical genius, we are fucked.

This x10



That's all a matter of opinion. I have come to find out that you don't like mainstream pop punk. But compared to what is written now a days, Soupy takes the cake in pop punk.

If you feel as though you know of a better song writer in the pop punk community please feel free to share, like seriously I am curious.
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#358
The whole scene of "modern pop-punk" like TWY, Man Overboard, Real Friends, etc. is a shitshow so it's not like he has much competition anyway. Parker Cannon is the one decent lyricist in that group but I consider TSSF the one listenable band in there anyway (though they're getting redundant) so difference of opinion I suppose.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#359
breathwish wrote:The whole scene of "modern pop-punk" like TWY, Man Overboard, Real Friends, etc. is a shitshow so it's not like he has much competition anyway. Parker Cannon is the one decent lyricist in that group but I consider TSSF the one listenable band in there anyway (though they're getting redundant) so difference of opinion I suppose.



To me TSSF was a one hit wonder band. Their first album USAD was a masterpiece. I listened to the second album, and it wasn't even close to their first album. Their stuff isn't catchy anymore.

Transit is a good pop punk band. No one can deny that.
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Box Car Racer General Discussion Thread

#360
MilfredCubicle wrote:
breathwish wrote:The whole scene of "modern pop-punk" like TWY, Man Overboard, Real Friends, etc. is a shitshow so it's not like he has much competition anyway. Parker Cannon is the one decent lyricist in that group but I consider TSSF the one listenable band in there anyway (though they're getting redundant) so difference of opinion I suppose.



To me TSSF was a one hit wonder band. Their first album USAD was a masterpiece. I listened to the second album, and it wasn't even close to their first album. Their stuff isn't catchy anymore.

Transit is a good pop punk band. No one can deny that.


Transit hasn't been a good band for about 3 years and their last pop-punk album was 5 years ago.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron