Re: Angels and Airwaves / Tom Delonge General Discussion Thread

Might be a little off topic, but I was on the blink 182 subreddit and a lot of talk about how Tom has so much money that he can do this that and the other thing. Here's my question to you all: how much money do you think Tom realistically has? He seems to be able to fund projects without limitation on a whim, yet these projects presumably lose money. Blink had probably 7 or 8 years of being a "megaband" making money hand over fist, plus angels which seems to be a commercially successful venture all in all, plus the reunion tours. Has anyone ever looked into what his net-worth actually is?

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

I think he's losing money, probably a substantial amount, hence the way TTS poops out bundles and all of their driving force is towards merch.
We can't get access to that kinda info, obviously, but hell Travis earned a 'smaller amount' last year than to be expected, and he was doing lots of random shit. he just happened to not tour with blink, which by the sound of it was one of his major earners. as Travis was worth more than Tom anyway, and from what I can gleam FSAS had been more successful than Macbeth, not to mention the bunch of other shit Travis is involved in, I think its safe to say Tom is not in a good place financially. he definitely put a lot of his money into these new ventures and it's probably chipping away at his admittedly vast wealth.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Luckily he can rely on selling all these bundles to his "whales". Its kind of like Free To Play games. Ya you're losing money on sales of the game itself, but you make it back on the crazy people who buy up every little thing attached to it.

Tom could release a pop-up book of animal genitalia, and the Tom fans will buy the $70 bundle because it comes with a limited edition coin and is autographed by Tom or something.

I bet he's close to breaking even, there's gotta be about 4 or 5 thousand whales out there in the world. A few post on this site.

Problem is, these people will eventually realize they're getting screwed and milked for their money for essentially worthless :turd: :turd: and stop supporting him. Without Blink 182 to fall back on as he ages, Tom is going to go broke if he keeps up this crazy schedule of releases.

According to some sites hes worth 60 million. Which I don't believe. Cause they say Marks worth the same. Mark hasn't been doing as much as Tom out of blink. So I dontt think it's too accurate.

I do believe Tom is bleeding money fast. He has these ideas. But if no one buys them .. Then he's screwed. Plus he has to pay his underlings , the money he owes the animators ... The authors ... This is why I can see some major law suites from Tom if the new blink album takes off.. Although I bet he's getting some fierce royalties as is...

In two or three years well see how Tom reacts to being asked if he wants back Inc Blink. (If there is still a blink to go back too) should be interesting

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

i mean, yeah he is bleeding money, but when 100 people each bought a limited edition 100 dollar book, that equates to 10,000 dollars. add in the fact they definitely up charge on their shipping prices, they have to be making bank. thats not even an actual bundle. it was JUST a uncorrected copy of a book that was officially put up for preorder like 2 weeks later. which those same people probably also bought. i'd say he's at least making back everything he is putting into it. let's say this early presale is to cover just the expenses of the author. that means AJ is getting roughly 14 dollars a page at 706 pages (idk if thats exact but its close). And he's signed on to do TWO trilogies with Tom, so that means if these guys keep buying these limited edition bundles for all 6 books, this author tom hired is getting 60,000 dollars. And again, this is only for 600 early, uncorrected books. now add in the people who are buying just the normal book, or a normal bundle, i'd say it at least doubles what they get from the early editions. So now it's like 120,000 over the course of 6 book releases. I'm no proper business man, but from just the sales of bundles and stuff, that seems like a pretty decent amount of change.

plopbellie wrote:i mean, yeah he is bleeding money, but when 100 people each bought a limited edition 100 dollar book, that equates to 10,000 dollars. add in the fact they definitely up charge on their shipping prices, they have to be making bank. thats not even an actual bundle. it was JUST a uncorrected copy of a book that was officially put up for preorder like 2 weeks later. which those same people probably also bought. i'd say he's at least making back everything he is putting into it. let's say this early presale is to cover just the expenses of the author. that means AJ is getting roughly 14 dollars a page at 706 pages (idk if thats exact but its close). And he's signed on to do TWO trilogies with Tom, so that means if these guys keep buying these limited edition bundles for all 6 books, this author tom hired is getting 60,000 dollars. And again, this is only for 600 early, uncorrected books. now add in the people who are buying just the normal book, or a normal bundle, i'd say it at least doubles what they get from the early editions. So now it's like 120,000 over the course of 6 book releases. I'm no proper business man, but from just the sales of bundles and stuff, that seems like a pretty decent amount of change.

When you add in manufacturing costs and cost of staff? potentially not really.
It sounds like a big figure but that big figure is going to be spread a lot thinner across the business.

Also, those initial investments by fans do not actually mean said fans will stay invested over that time frame. they could be excited for the book, read it, and then dislike it and not invest further. a lot of blink fans bought Poet out of curiosity, but I highly doubt those same people will buy the next Poet release. He also doesn't seem to be marketing himself much at all.
Poet is 111,604 on the ranking with Amazon. Travis's book, which came out the same time and essentially has the same reach (Travis fans will buy it, Tom fans will buy Poet etc) is 17,002. thats a shocking difference, and why? Travis promoted the living shit out of it on TV. he did a lot of interviews about it, made a giant fuss. Tom did too but only to his own limited circles, his outward promotion was really thin in comparison.
Regardless of whether his products are good (thats obviously a debatable issue) his ability as a businessman is questionable. people always make a fuss that he started macbeth and modlife, except he now has no involvement in either and definitely didn't do the leg work for them. We have no proof that he's competent at it, and from an outside perspective it really doesn't look like he is.
that just means that over the years sales will dwindle and if he doesn't gain fans from outside his cohort, he's completely screwed.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

I think it's completely believable that mark and tom roughly have the same net worth. mark doesnt do as much outside of blink but his outside projects arent expensive af. ava probably breaks even at best (maybe a bit better cause i read those expensive vip packages singlehandedly made their last shows profitable but idk) and to the stars is probably steadily losing money. Im glad toms doing his thing but i dont have much faith in his new work from a business or artistic perspective lol.