Re: Angels and Airwaves / Tom Delonge General Discussion Thread

StrongTower182 wrote:Listened to Whisper for the first time in a while... Forgot how much I actually love this record. Maybe it's the shitty day I've had or the mood I'm in. But it hits the spot. Still obsessed with Valkyrie and Start the Machine.

I just paused tom delonges special ernie ball: the pursuit of tone to listen to that record again.

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line

Interesting that Tom sorta indirectly challenged Mark and Travis for not reaching for something more with Neighborhoods. Talked about how Ghost On The Dancefloor was a great example of new elements in a song that he felt represented himself well and the band well, but that there was definitely a struggle between Tom wanting to be progressive and Mark and Travis wanting to capitalize on the legacy of blink.

It's obvious he's insanely all about To The Stars. It doesn't come off as contrived for financial gain only. I had no idea that his sister runs TTS with him.

Also yeah he's also doing a WDNTW acoustic album and it'll be released independently apparently.

twitter

I watched this documentary with my Dad, who mind you had no pre conceived notions about Tom.
He knew nothing about the many on-goings with blink (not even blink-gate). Im not even entirely sure he know Tom was in blink-182 before we started watching the documentary.

Two of his many comments on it through out was:

1.) "There must be something wrong with him, sounds like he has a few screws loose" .
2.) "Wow, he is one arrogant prick"

I laughed a lot.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Finally had a chance to watch it this morning. I think a lot of blinks troubles can be summed up by Mark saying he is most proud in life of being Mark from blink-182, and Tom saying that he was proud to finally feel like he is Tom DeLonge and not just Tom from blink.

I don't really find anything Tom says to be arrogant, just ambitious. He's trying to improve himself and he's proud of that. By the same token, he wants to improve the world (which sounds exactly as cheesy as it is), I just find that more misguided than arrogant.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

yeah, i think tom just evolved to much more of a free, ambitious business orientated person who likes to have things his ways.

if you want to call that arrogance, ok, i respect it.

actions always speak louder than words, and those actions we will never fully understand because its such a two way street with blink. i still find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that tom and mark have been speaking about another boxcar album. that just doesnt seem real/genuine to me. that just seems to me ''hey lets say something crazy to get people excited and generate attention and not follow through on it''

for that matter tom might be more talk than action.

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line

Happy Huh?

To me a happy content person doesn't need to tell the world about it. Have a documentary written about it. Nor continually posting old shots of himself in blink with one sentence snarky remarks. And or fake teases of touring.

To me he sounds jealous, a bit angry and every bit as stubborn. He needs to tell the world how "happy" he is and how he really feels like he made the right decision. To ensure we all feel the same way. When im super content I don't care what anyone thinks. I dont need to tell anyone about it. I'm doing my thing. Thats what I feel most people do.

Maybe Tom truly is just THAT different. But I doubt it.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Happy Huh?

To me a happy content person doesn't need to tell the world about it. Have a documentary written about it. Nor continually posting old shots of himself in blink with one sentence snarky remarks. And or fake teases of touring.

To me he sounds jealous, a bit angry and every bit as stubborn. He needs to tell the world how "happy" he is and how he really feels like he made the right decision. To ensure we all feel the same way. When im super content I don't care what anyone thinks. I dont need to tell anyone about it. I'm doing my thing. Thats what I feel most people do.

What a new and shocking take on Tom.

twitter

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Happy Huh?

Either all of that or it's as simple as he said in the documentary: “I probably should spend more time communicating what I’m doing, why I’m doing it, but I don’t,” he says. “So I think a lot of people come up with these scenarios that I don’t care about Blink or I don’t care about being a musician or, you know, I’m crazy…”

I would love if Mark would do a similar documentary. I could listen to either of them talk about their music careers all day.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

“I used to tell Mark in Blink that I admired him because he was always satisfied with Blink. It satisfied him that it was an incredible thing, we were given such an incredible thing, we were so lucky to have it, and all those sort of things. I agreed with all those things, but for some reason it’s not stopping my desire to go out and learn more, and try more, and push myself more, and be surrounded by other people that I find are completely fascinating. You’re not going to see me do things that are the easy play, it’s just not going to happen. You’re going to see me do things that I have no business doing.”

I feel like that's pretty much Tom in a nutshell, if you include the fact that he's willing to be a douche in the process. Some people can tolerate that. Some can't.

twitter