Re: Angels and Airwaves General Discussion Thread

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
scoobs wrote:
gompy182 wrote:

You're**

God damnit Tom, you're so bad at English.

It's so ridiculous isn't it :lol:

Can't remember the songs, but he uses the the phrase "you and I" when it should be "you and me" (or vice versa). Shit bothers me to no end. You'd think someone who writes for a living would know how to speak English correctly. It's kind of embarrassing really.

from the internet, i dont know which songs you are referencing, so everyone is wrong until we figure that part out.

""You and I" is the subject. "You and me" is the object.

"You and I hate Phil." "Phil hates you and me." "Phil is hated by you and me." All of these are grammatically correct. (No offence to Phil.)

It really winds me up when people hypercorrect because they think that "you and me" is always wrong. "Phil hates you and I." NO! This is worrying.

The best way to work out if you should be using "you and I" or "you and me" is to take away the "you and" and see if the sentence sounds right with just I or me.

"I hate Phil." Sounds good. "Me hate Phil." Sounds like a caveman talking!

"Phil hates me." Sounds good. "Phil hates I." Sounds ridiculous!"

I don't really listen to AVA enough to recall which song it is, but he says something like "for you, not I". Bothers the living shit out of me when I hear it. Wish I could remember which song it is.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it within 5 minutes of browsing my library. Its from "Dry your eyes"

Get on your feet don't pretend to cry
Or fix you and I

It would crawl and would crawl and we lay there blind
It broke you and I

Cringe-worthy stuff. I'm probably being too harsh here but you'd think someone would tell him