Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#721
saltygrapes wrote:
brendan wrote:I think you guys are missing the point of what is meant by demos. It's not the production quality of the songs, it's the fact that they're not fine tuned, incomplete instrumentation in certain parts etc. Some things are bare bones. New World is a great example of that.


How exactly is New World incomplete? Sounds fine to me. It's just repetitive. There's no real bridge, but there wasn't a real bridge in Not Now either, which is another "demo" song but nobody actually considers it a demo.



Hush child, Brendan has spoken...
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#722
KayTheMagnificent wrote:My major take away from this is that it's amazing Tom left or got kicked out or whatever, because the next blink album would have sucked majorly if these were on it. I doubt Mark or Travis's input would have made them too different and it would have been a much bigger disappointment than neighborhoods.


yeah there's nothing Mark or Travis could have done to save this stuff. The best thing that could have happened was them getting in the same location and writing new stuff on a couch together with their acoustics like the old days.

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#723
brendan wrote:I think you guys are missing the point of what is meant by demos. It's not the production quality of the songs, it's the fact that they're not fine tuned, incomplete instrumentation in certain parts etc. Some things are bare bones. New World is a great example of that.


oh I know what a demo is. for example, Bon Iver's debut had pretty "amateur" production but it's obviously not a "demo-album".

I'm more forgiving of bad production quality than I am lazily written songs. like I said calling them 'demos' doesn't change my opinion of them. if anything it's like "okay now go back and complete these and then we'll talk."

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#724
yeah but even if they were 'finished', like a bridge here or a chorus deleted there or whatever, isn't ultimately going to make the song suddenly great. Shave a chorus offa New World and put something different as a bridge, I'm still not going to think it's a great song, cuz the bare bones aint that great.
rough songs could still be good songs, if they're good songs at their core. most of these just aren't, really. they're not all terrible either but none of them are like 'yeah that's great!'
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#726
I think Endless Summer would have been a great blink song.

Also does anyone thing that Circle-Jerk-Pit was intended as a blink song? I know a couple of people thought the second half of the song was Mark for a few seconds(me included). I think that would have been the Heart's All Gone for the new blink album.

I do however believe that not all these songs were intended to be blink. Some of these songs really just didn't have a home.

Also, who is the actor talking in Landscapes? I know the voice, just cant seem to put a face on it
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#727
MilfredCubicle wrote:I think Endless Summer would have been a great blink song.

Also does anyone thing that Circle-Jerk-Pit was intended as a blink song? I know a couple of people thought the second half of the song was Mark for a few seconds(me included). I think that would have been the Heart's All Gone for the new blink album.

I do however believe that not all these songs were intended to be blink. Some of these songs really just didn't have a home.

Also, who is the actor talking in Landscapes? I know the voice, just cant seem to put a face on it


It's Carl Sagan. The famous astronomer from the 70s.

And yea some of these were for AVA. I would say animals, landscapes, and the invisible parade at least. The AVA Twitter said guess which demos off the album were intended for AVA.

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#728
I'm not convinced that a lot of these were for blink.

New World I think was a new one he wrote for this specifically. maybe it was blink.

Endless Summer sounds like it could have been intended for blink and then he threw AVA excerpts over it.

Suburban Kings sounds like an AVA song but it doesn't thematically fit with AVA's current direction. maybe an older one. if it was for blink the song probably wouldn't have just been about his life story like Rite of Spring.

The Invisible Parade sounds like it could have been one he just wrote for himself and wasn't sure what to do with it (literally songs without a home). It sounds way more like a blink song to me than an AVA song, but like 2015 Tom would dedicate serious songs to a 'joke band' like blink lol.

Circle Jerk Pit sounds like he just wrote it for this as a diss to blink fans.

Landscapes was for AVA or probably just him fucking around and he put it on here.

Animals sounds like it was definitely for AVA though I could still see it on a blink album with some modifications. he did post a clip of it when this was being advertised mainly as blink demos, and the harmonies do kind of sound like they were meant for Mark so idk.

Golden Showers was probably the only one that was definitely for blink (i.e. written with blink in mind). it's a dumb joke song and a rehash of old blink so yeah.

keep in mind that when I say "wrote for this project", they are probably old ideas that weren't going anywhere in either band and then he just in the past couple of months wrote songs around them.

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#732
I don't see why he wouldn't just use those AVA songs for AVA? I mean he's still in that band lol.

I'd laugh if Ilan was like 'You. Are. Out.' Then Tom was forced to make yet another project.

Also I like the synth of endless summer. It would be better if it was more of a straight forward synth that would have made it more pop punk.

Also suburban Kings is easily Rite of Spring 2.0. It would be cool to see someone make a remix between the two
Image

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Image

Image

Image

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#736
saltygrapes wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:My major take away from this is that it's amazing Tom left or got kicked out or whatever, because the next blink album would have sucked majorly if these were on it. I doubt Mark or Travis's input would have made them too different and it would have been a much bigger disappointment than neighborhoods.


yeah there's nothing Mark or Travis could have done to save this stuff. The best thing that could have happened was them getting in the same location and writing new stuff on a couch together with their acoustics like the old days.

I agree with your statement with most of the songs, save for Endless Summer and Golden Showers. Those have the potential of being great, great tunes. Oh well. Who knows? He's gone. Yay!
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

#739
MilfredCubicle wrote:The drums in the beginning of suburban kings reminds me of And I


Also, does anyone have the lyrics? I have a hard time understanding Tom nowadays


http://genius.com/Tom-delonge-suburban-kings-lyrics

Idk, I like the way he sings the verses. I feel this song is more about (him) being belittled, underestimated and not taken seriously, rather than him singing about being a kid again. It's kind of a reassuring song, cuz it basically says if you have the dedication and drive to do something meaningful, you can do it, whether people believe in you or not.

I think he's just using his story as proof of that. Idk if I'm reaching, I actually kinda like the song tho.
Spoiler: show
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron