Wow. um, I don't hate it quite as much as everyone else here.
I find the guitar driven songs to be lacking because most of the riffs sound like All Time Low. Which is amusing, considering their inspired by his older self.
Musically, outside of the guitar work, I think this release is very interesting. it's actually the most 'diverse' sounding release Tom has ever done, and in a way it makes sense for it to be 'self titled' because you have a lot of AVAish sounding stuff, a lot of old blink sounding stuff. you have his awkward faux maturity mixed with some stupid ass songs. like it or not, this release is true to him... it's batshit and awkward and self indulgent but it's in it's own way, honest.
I don't even hate his vocals on this release, but the lyrics and melodies basically kill every chance each song had.
I'll go track by track but for the first time ever on this board my almost positive opinion might piss you off for being too optimistic.
1. New World - I still can't get into this song. it's repetitive and has awful lyrics. the only part I like is the pre-chorus. I'm still grinding on the 'crucified' line but I seem to be alone in that. after hearing the rest of the release I think it's bloody stupid to release this one first, which makes me think he only did it because it's the obvious 'WAH BLINK' next to Suburban Kings which isn't straight forward enough to get the point across.
2. An Endless Summer - The intro is fucking stupid. doesn't remotely fit the song and just sounds fucking awful, which is a shame 'cuz without it this would be the least problematic song on the release. This one suffers from the 'all time low' riff epidemic I mentioned. It's very simplistic musically in the verses which sucks, but the rest of it is just okay? it doesn't suck, there's nothing obviously awful (except the lyrics. obviously) it's just okay? It's fairly pleasant. I'll problem listen to it occasionally. (except the weird synth middle 8, its bloody stupid).
3. Suburban Kings - Everyone seems to love this and I just don't. The lyrics are so obnoxious that it kills it for me instantly but I just don't enjoy it, especially the melodies the pre chorus and chorus just feel slow and monotonous. the verses are different for him but it sounds too low for him to manage in places. the song just drags so much and thats its biggest problem.
4. The Invisible Parade - I can't help it, this song grew on me like a fungus. the lyrics are awful and it's stupidly simple and I have a personal issue with the army and I'm actually a fucking acoustic musician so by all accounts this song should be the one I hate the most. but I don't. Partly because it's easily the most honest sounding track on the record, and partly because it's just fairly pleasant. it's not any work of genius, there's nothing great about it, but it grabs me anyway.
Which is so nice to feel, because it's how blink and Tom always got me before. there's no rhyme or reason, but they got me anyway. and this reminds me of that. by all accounts, its a basic shitty acoustic song but I'm still pulled to it. it's nice to know that Tom is still capable of creating that effect.
5. Circle Jerk Pit - Considering the whole song is essentially 'fuck my fans', it's very hard to review the track without being angry. Musically it's okay, the production is bad on purpose... meh to his vocals and the melody I guess? the best part about this track is it's length, cuz you don't have the time to get *quite* sick of it like some of the others.
6. Landscapes - If you call something an album, and only have 8 tracks, don't make one of those tracks filler fucking noise. That's all this is. it's some simplistic keyboard synth bits with awkward voice overs. Toms especially sounds fucking stupid. this song just... blows in every way. It's such a waste of a track.
7. Animals - This is the one I was the least excited for, and it's the one that impressed me the most. It's easily the most original thing he's done in a while... if you ignore the stupid chorus. The intro, verses are so different for him and it just works really well. the chorus wouldn't actually be a problem if the vocals weren't so silly and simplistic and the harmonies weren't so obvious. I like the creepy work all over this track. musically, honestly, I love it.
8. Golden Showers - This one also has that 'all time low' guitar riff problem. This song musically sounds like a 14 year old trying to write a blink song from enema or toypaj era. it sounds like old blink but not in a good way. the lyrics ruin any possible enjoyment I could have had with this song because the dude is almost 40 and this shit is just cringe inducing now. its so forced and stupid and just bad. I don't entirely understand why people say this song is catchy, because he just repeats 'california' seventy thousand times.
OVERALL - The music for the most part is actually pretty good, although too simple at times. it's a nice blend of guitar lead stuff and synth elements which I honestly don't expect from Tom anymore, but just like any Tom Delonge release his melody and lyrics let the whole thing down.
Not to mention a lot of these songs suffer from lacking in direction, they repeat too many choruses or just dunno wtf the do with themselves.
But again, for Tom, it's not a bad release. Considering the hap hazard silly thrown together way this release came about, I'm actually pleasantly surprised.
But I will say this... I am so goddamn glad he's out of blink. if this is the stuff he was going to bring to blink, the next album would have sucked SO DAMN HARD. Even if Skiba with blink sounds totally alien to what blink have done before, I have no doubt it'll be better than this.
But yeah, it's an okay release, it's not a festering turd. I'd rather hear this then the AVA releases (Bar dream walker).
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!