Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

"Mr. Delonge? It's been 12 hours. How much longer do we have to keep skating and smoking and drinking? Don't you have all the shots by now?"

"I'LL FUCKING TELL YOU WHEN I HAVE THE SHOTS! I'M AN ARTIST AND ARTISTS DON'T RUSH ART. I'M PUSHING THE LANDSCAPES OF MULTIMEDIUMS AND VISIONISM AND I'M NOT GOING TO LET SOME ANTSY KIDS CONTAIN ME! DO YOU WANT YOUR FREE MACBETHS OR NOT?!?"

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Still a timeless quote.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

gompy182 wrote:
tmede212 wrote:This dude does a ton of Blink cover and was a huge Tom fan. He tries to be as unbiased as possible in reviewing his new music...

I think it's a pretty good review. I agree with some of what he says. Atleast he gave the good and bad of each song instead of just bashing the songs or saying he loved them.
Sig made by Elevator

Elevator wrote:
And she said... wrote:
Elevator wrote:
And she said... wrote::lol:

Okay.

Don't drag The Adventure Cool High As Fuck Tom into this. He's dead too.

Okay. I'm gonna get this right.

I guess it's okay to drag Dad Mode Tom into this, since he's not dead.

Yet.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

I quite enjoy every song on this album except for Animals and Landscapes. Golden Showers in particular is catchy and the lyrics are amusing. There's something about that song that just creates a that summer/fun feeling that I got from blink-182 as a teenager. Also, again, nothing really comes across as forced to me and it's a pretty diverse album. I still feel like he's getting a lot of unwarranted hate...AbsolutePunk is hard to look at. It's also a little refreshing to me that Tom put out an album that's more straight rock oriented and with no deep concept behind the album or anything. It's been a while.

Animals and Landscapes are the two biggest cons I have. All I can really think of to say is that it reminds me of the LOVE era of AVA, which I really disliked.

New World - Narcissistic lyrics, repetitive, boring outside of the killer pre-chorus.

An Endless Summer - The intro is completely dumb and not necessary whatsoever. "16 and bla bla" stop these lyrics, Tom. I feel like the chorus melody is all over the place and doesn't set up the hook very well. I think the vocals don't stand out in the mix very well in the chorus and that hurts. A solid effort outside of the bad mix and bad lyrics.

Suburban Kings - Same problem as Endless Summer with the vocals in the mix. It's almost like there are issues with the vocals that they're trying to hide with the mix or something (see the very end of this post re: Golden Showers). I'm listening on top-dollar headphones and even tried on the monitors at my studio and I can't understand jack shit he's saying on either one.

Invisible Parade - It's okay, not much to say. It could have been better lyrically.

Circle-Jerk-Pit - Stahp.

Landscapes - This song isn't even worth saying a single sentence about but I have to rant here. Tom's obsession with this idea of musical landscapes is getting to the point of just being downright sad. There are alt bands out there that do this so much better than Tom without trying this hard. Young the Giant is a great example. Tom has been trying to do this garbage with his music for years and it's like this song is just a culmination of that trash. I feel like he makes this kind of crap just to sit in the bathtub and bang to.

Animals - My favorite song on this "album". The arrangement is quite interesting, and fits the vibe of the song. The synth patches are on point. This is really the only effort in this group of "songs" where Tom successfully made me feel the vibe he was trying to achieve. Not sure why this song gets so much hate on here. It's actually musically successful.

Golden Showers in the Golden State - Some of you are saying it's Rock Show, I'm saying it's First Date. It's some awkward hybrid of both. The rhythm tone on this song actually intrigues me quite a bit, but to me this song shows that Tom just isn't very creative with the guitar anymore.

Also the vocals at the VERY end of the song.. holy shit how much Melodyne did they use on this? The tone is total garbage. I have both Melodyne and AutoTune and have melodyne'd a ton of vocalists, and when you throw a shitload of compression on a vocal track, a high-pass reverb, and de-vibrato the shit out of everything you get a completely tone-fucked vocal sound exactly like that and it makes me think the entire vocal mixing process of this entire "album" made Tom's voice sound like that throughout and they tried to hide it in the mix on certain songs.

I give the whole thing a 4.5/10 and am very glad most of this uninspired stuff never made it to blink-182. Animals is an 8/10 song to me; but the rest of them are 5-6/10 songs and you have two complete wastes of two minutes in Circle-Jerk-Pit and Landscapes.

something I want to add: it's nobody on this site that I see but I highly disagree with the notion that "you have to give this album leeway because it's just demos and not supposed to be much". if it's not supposed to be much then it's going to come off as exactly that- not much. it's not some biased thing. often times I'll hear a band I like put out demos and I'll say it's bad. every now and then there are demos that manage to live up to album but there's a reason why demos typically don't get out. it's fun to listen to songs in their early stages and think "woah this song used to be this shit?" (sometimes they start great hence how some demos are good) but not to hear an artist's best work. so yeah I'm not going to reserve criticism 'cause they're demos when typically that's the point of recording demos.

oddly (not really), the same people saying this were the ones justifying the price with "they're not demos anymore they're fully fleshed out b-sides". the whole thing feels demo-quality, and while I don't care what people spend money on, it's fucking ridiculous that he sold 25 minutes (equal to or barely longer than an EP length) of demos for the price of a full-album. of course, some people didn't know the length, and he exploited the fact that people didn't really know what they were getting (even if they admitted they weren't expecting quality which btw is a concept that makes me go wtf).