Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

brendan wrote:I see this as an average release. It's not great, but it's not terrible. I feel like a lot of people just want it to be terrible because of what happened, but in reality it's just your average Tom release. Half the songs are pretty decent, rest are meh. I mean an endless summer and suburban kings is no different than the type of stuff Tom contributed to dogs eating dogs. I get hate for songs like animals, landscapes, and the lyrics of golden showers. But the rest is your typical Tom work from the last five years which people have seemed to be okay with although they prefer toms older work. I guess I just don't really see the argument that it's terrible, maybe meh at worst

don't get me wrong I want it to be good. but IMO this really is worse than Love Pt. II which up to this point was his worst release imo. I get that there's a few "new for Tom" things on the album and as I said, there's redeemable elements here and there but overall it's just typical post-2009 Tom music (which is usually passable at best) except rushed, disjointed, really "cheap" sounding, even more repetitive than usual, and with bad production. It's rare for a demo collection to be above average when it comes to bands and all that but that doesn't make me like it. The Golden Showers instrumental seriously sounds like a 14 year old wrote an average, non-stimulating riff and ran it through a cheap emulator. future solo releases where he puts more effort into it might be better.

no way is this on par with Dream Walker (not that anyone on this site has said that) or even Dogs Eating Dogs.

most of it isn't terrible as in "omfg my ears turn it off", but most of it for me anyway is still a lower level of bad.

brendan wrote:One person said that. I just think it's the best song on the album. Equal in quality of my favorite songs on the dream Walker and dogs eating dogs

One person here, I think a saw a couple people over at TheAVAMovement say it as well...although, that probably shouldn't surprise me.

I don't think SK can be compared to TDW or DED, though. I think, at the very least, Disaster was way better. All of TDW, musically, was better. Plus, SK lyrics are basically the same as Rite of Spring, but lamer. I thought Tom recycling riffs was bad enough :lol:

I gotta say, I feel like as much as everyone on here complains about Tom's ridiculous pricing, he's really not that bad when it comes to making fans pay for music. He always makes his stuff available on traditional channels (like iTunes) and many times posts free videos of his stuff. I know its not much, but some artists are militant about snuffing out free sources. For as much grief as Tom gets for being a "businessman," his music is relatively easy to find for free.

Just saying...

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

tyler182 wrote:
brendan wrote:One person said that. I just think it's the best song on the album. Equal in quality of my favorite songs on the dream Walker and dogs eating dogs

One person here, I think a saw a couple people over at TheAVAMovement say it as well...although, that probably shouldn't surprise me.

I don't think SK can be compared to TDW or DED, though. I think, at the very least, Disaster was way better. All of TDW, musically, was better. Plus, SK lyrics are basically the same as Rite of Spring, but lamer. I thought Tom recycling riffs was bad enough :lol:

Yea I was comparing it to Tom songs on DED. I think it's on par with disaster and Pretty Little Girl. I agree though the dream Walker is way different though because of ilans involvement in every song.

1. Feel like this is a very amateur sounding album. I have a bunch of friends who are decent musicians, majored in music /played instruments/sang all through college, and a lot of times they put together shorts songs on decent recording equipment/software. They're not quite songwriters tho and the songs just sound disjointed and don't have a lot of flow. This EP reminds me of that. Half-baked ideas, simple melodies (a staple of blink for sure, but it feels different here with Tom trying to write such a "dynamic" record), and some "different" ideas that aren't quite as effective as you'd like them to be. Going back to the simple melodies, i feel like every time it seems tom is going to an interesting place melodically with his vocals, he goes back to his same tropes. If this was meant to be a rough collection EP, maybe he gets a pass, which brings me to my next point...

2. It is downright criminal that there are some packages that cost over a hundred dollars. I know if people want to buy it, that's their prerogative, but wow those bundles are larceny.

3. All that said, I still think there are some good moments. I don't understand some of the hate for Golden Showers. The lyrics are a bit forced, but the riff/drums/ultimate feel of the song are awesome IMO; feels like old blink where the music has that punkish energy. More so than anything tom has written in a long time (off the top of my head).

4. Maybe, just maybe, Mark/Travis hadn't been feeling the music Tom has been bringing to the band and that played a part in the split? Almost no evidence of that, but I would feel trapped if the more dominant force in the recording process and member with the most output was pushing a sound like this. Again my two cents, but I think this is the furtherest from the blink sound tom has ever sounded as a whole (minus Golden Shower).

Happy 4/20 everyone! But not the European/Australian people. 4/20 is over for you bastards

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

What a very boring collection of songs - that's how I'm viewing it, it's more EP sized than LP sized and has zero flow, tonally.
Tom's voice is so weird now and the "riffs" he writes now are so fucking uninspired (Endless Summer). Animals was the only one that showed promise but the chorus killed it.
Also every song feels like it goes for 6 minutes.

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:I gotta say, I feel like as much as everyone on here complains about Tom's ridiculous pricing, he's really not that bad when it comes to making fans pay for music. He always makes his stuff available on traditional channels (like iTunes) and many times posts free videos of his stuff. I know its not much, but some artists are militant about snuffing out free sources. For as much grief as Tom gets for being a "businessman," his music is relatively easy to find for free.

Just saying...

that's the norm nowadays 'cause in 2015 it'd be worse to not do that.

I mean I'm over it but now that I know it was really just 25 minutes of demo songs for the price of an album I can't help but lol (not literally). and I know officially they're not all demos now but let's be real- they're demos.

I don't think it would have been possible to predict just how bad this "album" would be. This shit is so fucking awful that it's incredible. He's literally lost his mind. :lol: >_>

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Suburban Kings would be really awesome as a blink song with some more work put in. Love that one

Everything else is in that "alright" category, not good or bad. Animals has awesome intro and verses but can't bear to listen to the chorus much. Aside from Suburban Kings and possibly Circle Jerk Pit it's all crap compared to the stuff he did on Neighbourhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs EP for me

Last edited by Tyler on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow. um, I don't hate it quite as much as everyone else here.

I find the guitar driven songs to be lacking because most of the riffs sound like All Time Low. Which is amusing, considering their inspired by his older self.

Musically, outside of the guitar work, I think this release is very interesting. it's actually the most 'diverse' sounding release Tom has ever done, and in a way it makes sense for it to be 'self titled' because you have a lot of AVAish sounding stuff, a lot of old blink sounding stuff. you have his awkward faux maturity mixed with some stupid ass songs. like it or not, this release is true to him... it's batshit and awkward and self indulgent but it's in it's own way, honest.

I don't even hate his vocals on this release, but the lyrics and melodies basically kill every chance each song had.

I'll go track by track but for the first time ever on this board my almost positive opinion might piss you off for being too optimistic.

1. New World - I still can't get into this song. it's repetitive and has awful lyrics. the only part I like is the pre-chorus. I'm still grinding on the 'crucified' line but I seem to be alone in that. after hearing the rest of the release I think it's bloody stupid to release this one first, which makes me think he only did it because it's the obvious 'WAH BLINK' next to Suburban Kings which isn't straight forward enough to get the point across.

2. An Endless Summer - The intro is fucking stupid. doesn't remotely fit the song and just sounds fucking awful, which is a shame 'cuz without it this would be the least problematic song on the release. This one suffers from the 'all time low' riff epidemic I mentioned. It's very simplistic musically in the verses which sucks, but the rest of it is just okay? it doesn't suck, there's nothing obviously awful (except the lyrics. obviously) it's just okay? It's fairly pleasant. I'll problem listen to it occasionally. (except the weird synth middle 8, its bloody stupid).

3. Suburban Kings - Everyone seems to love this and I just don't. The lyrics are so obnoxious that it kills it for me instantly but I just don't enjoy it, especially the melodies the pre chorus and chorus just feel slow and monotonous. the verses are different for him but it sounds too low for him to manage in places. the song just drags so much and thats its biggest problem.

4. The Invisible Parade - I can't help it, this song grew on me like a fungus. the lyrics are awful and it's stupidly simple and I have a personal issue with the army and I'm actually a fucking acoustic musician so by all accounts this song should be the one I hate the most. but I don't. Partly because it's easily the most honest sounding track on the record, and partly because it's just fairly pleasant. it's not any work of genius, there's nothing great about it, but it grabs me anyway.
Which is so nice to feel, because it's how blink and Tom always got me before. there's no rhyme or reason, but they got me anyway. and this reminds me of that. by all accounts, its a basic shitty acoustic song but I'm still pulled to it. it's nice to know that Tom is still capable of creating that effect.

5. Circle Jerk Pit - Considering the whole song is essentially 'fuck my fans', it's very hard to review the track without being angry. Musically it's okay, the production is bad on purpose... meh to his vocals and the melody I guess? the best part about this track is it's length, cuz you don't have the time to get *quite* sick of it like some of the others.

6. Landscapes - If you call something an album, and only have 8 tracks, don't make one of those tracks filler fucking noise. That's all this is. it's some simplistic keyboard synth bits with awkward voice overs. Toms especially sounds fucking stupid. this song just... blows in every way. It's such a waste of a track.

7. Animals - This is the one I was the least excited for, and it's the one that impressed me the most. It's easily the most original thing he's done in a while... if you ignore the stupid chorus. The intro, verses are so different for him and it just works really well. the chorus wouldn't actually be a problem if the vocals weren't so silly and simplistic and the harmonies weren't so obvious. I like the creepy work all over this track. musically, honestly, I love it.

8. Golden Showers - This one also has that 'all time low' guitar riff problem. This song musically sounds like a 14 year old trying to write a blink song from enema or toypaj era. it sounds like old blink but not in a good way. the lyrics ruin any possible enjoyment I could have had with this song because the dude is almost 40 and this shit is just cringe inducing now. its so forced and stupid and just bad. I don't entirely understand why people say this song is catchy, because he just repeats 'california' seventy thousand times.

OVERALL - The music for the most part is actually pretty good, although too simple at times. it's a nice blend of guitar lead stuff and synth elements which I honestly don't expect from Tom anymore, but just like any Tom Delonge release his melody and lyrics let the whole thing down.
Not to mention a lot of these songs suffer from lacking in direction, they repeat too many choruses or just dunno wtf the do with themselves.
But again, for Tom, it's not a bad release. Considering the hap hazard silly thrown together way this release came about, I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

But I will say this... I am so goddamn glad he's out of blink. if this is the stuff he was going to bring to blink, the next album would have sucked SO DAMN HARD. Even if Skiba with blink sounds totally alien to what blink have done before, I have no doubt it'll be better than this.

But yeah, it's an okay release, it's not a festering turd. I'd rather hear this then the AVA releases (Bar dream walker).

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

MilfredCubicle wrote:All in all the 8 track album is a damn good release. This is better than I expected, and we only had to wait about 2 months. Good yob Yom!

I feel like Tom is Rachel, you're Joey, and everyone else posting right now is the rest of the cast (except for the sparing Rachel's feelings part) :

I'm with you, Joey!
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

And she said... wrote:
MilfredCubicle wrote:All in all the 8 track album is a damn good release. This is better than I expected, and we only had to wait about 2 months. Good yob Yom!

I feel like Tom is Rachel, you're Joey, and everyone else posting right now is the rest of the cast (except for the sparing Rachel's feelings part) :

I'm with you, Joey!

How you doin'?

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show