Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

just listened to this whole thing and I don't know if I've ever had such a lack of a reaction to an album before. I just kind of shrugged and said "okay" when it was over. TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW OMG:

1. New World: new(ish) for Tom. not bad but not great. meh.
2. Endless Summer: another really meh song except this one's even more disjointed. beginning sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog lol. I actually like some of the synths on this release. they're bad but there's a charm to them lol (those arpeggiated synths in the bridge are cute :p ). ultimately just sounds like a bad AVA outtake with more guitar though.
3. Suburban Kings: not excruciatingly bad like I expected based on the preview. it actually has structure and reminds me of videogames again. is boxcar-ish in a way. but I just don't feel the vocals and overall it's just meh again.
4. The Invisible Parade: probably the best one. it's at least heartfelt and "new for Tom". kind of drags a bit and is still fairly meh though.
5. Circle Jerk Pit: probably the real best one tbh. it's a big fuck you and a meh take on punk rock but it's the only one with even a hint of punch to it and is the most coherent.
6. Landscapes: you know what this song sounds like? when I download really bad-in-a-good-way free VSTis off the internet and start fucking around. I actually got some enjoyment out of this in that way. there's a sort of charm to "so bad it's good" synth work like this. but why would I listen to this if I can shit out the same stuff but better myself everyday for breakfast? and I don't drag Carl Sagan along for my bs. ;_; but yeah, it's enjoyable, just not great.
7. Animals: I'm sure everyone hates this one but it actually could have been good. beginning reminds me of Showbiz-era Muse but not as good. verses aren't much (except that corny synth in the second verse which still isn't much but added a bit :p )but surprisingly lend themselves to Tom's voice. chorus just kills the momentum though. only redeeming part of the chorus is that the synths remind me of the Rayman 3 soundtrack which gives it a point.
8. Golden Showers in the Golden State: wtf is this shit? just sounds like a low-quality blink joke song knock-off. I mean it kind of has that fun idgaf vibe but it's just not that good and completely forgettable.

overall: I don't think it really needs to be said that all of these songs- while a few are better than others- all suffer from lazy choice of cheap sounds, bad production, and repetitive, phoned-in, disjointed song structures. I get it's a demo album but even for those standards it's not very good. nevertheless, I managed to find a few redeeming elements in it.

3/10

also does anyone really want to tell me that blink needed to die so Tom could write more mature stuff? now would be the perfect time for someone to tell me that, considering we just got a bunch of songs about being a teenager in Poway again combined with the most immature shit he's ever written in his entire career. this album makes Chesire Cat look like a wise old man's album. I mean even 1/3 of AVA is about being a teenager, stupid ass lyrics with tons of references to being "16 as I ____", same old dick jokes on stage, and that's the "mature" band lol

"Golden Showers" really is some next level shit over blink RIGHT GUYS?
Last edited by carlcockatoo on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

might actually be a 2/10.

did even kay give a more positive review than me? if so WOW.

I change my mind on one thing though: Landscapes is the best track on this release.

you heard that music they play in Pyongyang in the morning to wake people up? kind of has that melancholy totalitarian vibe but more uplifting. really sad thing to be reminded of by any song you'd listen to for pleasure but fortunately it reminds me of a bunch of other things too. kind of sounds like Jak II also (when you're in the mountains). plus the free VST thing I mentioned earlier. :p

carlcockatoo wrote:just listened to this whole thing and I don't know if I've ever had such a lack of a reaction to an album before. I just kind of shrugged and said "okay" when it was over. TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW OMG:

1. New World: new(ish) for Tom. not bad but not great. meh.
2. Endless Summer: another really meh song except this one's even more disjointed. beginning sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog lol. I actually like some of the synths on this release. they're bad but there's a charm to them lol (those arpeggiated synths in the bridge are cute :p ). ultimately just sounds like a bad AVA outtake with more guitar though.
3. Suburban Kings: not excruciatingly bad like I expected based on the preview. it actually has structure and reminds me of videogames again. is boxcar-ish in a way. but I just don't feel the vocals and overall it's just meh again.
4. The Invisible Parade: probably the best one. it's at least heartfelt and "new for Tom". kind of drags a bit and is still fairly meh though.
5. Circle Jerk Pit: probably the real best one tbh. it's a big fuck you and a meh take on punk rock but it's the only one with even a hint of punch to it and is the most coherent.
6. Landscapes: you know what this song sounds like? when I download really bad-in-a-good-way free VSTis off the internet and start fucking around. I actually got some enjoyment out of this in that way. there's a sort of charm to "so bad it's good" synth work like this. but why would I listen to this if I can shit out the same stuff but better myself everyday for breakfast? and I don't drag Carl Sagan along for my bs. ;_; but yeah, it's enjoyable, just not great.
7. Animals: I'm sure everyone hates this one but it actually could have been good. beginning reminds me of Showbiz-era Muse but not as good. verses aren't much (except that corny synth in the second verse which still isn't much but added a bit :p )but surprisingly lend themselves to Tom's voice. chorus just kills the momentum though. only redeeming part of the chorus is that the synths remind me of the Rayman 3 soundtrack which gives it a point.
8. Golden Showers in the Golden State: wtf is this shit? just sounds like a low-quality blink joke song knock-off. I mean it kind of has that fun idgaf vibe but it's just not that good and completely forgettable.

overall: I don't think it really needs to be said that all of these songs- while a few are better than others- all suffer from lazy choice of cheap sounds, bad production, and repetitive, phoned-in, disjointed song structures. I get it's a demo album but even for those standards it's not very good. nevertheless, I managed to find a few redeeming elements in it.

3/10

also does anyone really want to tell me that blink needed to die so Tom could write more mature stuff? now would be the perfect time for someone to tell me that, considering we just got a bunch of songs about being a teenager in Poway again combined with the most immature shit he's ever written in his entire career. this album makes Chesire Cat look like a wise old man's album. I mean even 1/3 of AVA is about being a teenager, stupid ass lyrics with tons of references to being "16 as I ____", same old dick jokes on stage, and that's the "mature" band lol

"Golden Showers" really is some next level shit over blink RIGHT GUYS?

Stopped reading after you said Suburban Kings was bad but Circle Jerk Pit was good. We definitely don't have the same taste in music.
Last edited by Chuck-182 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

carlcockatoo wrote:
Chuck-182 wrote:Stopped reading after you said Suburban Kings was bad but Circle Jerk Pit was good. We definitely don't have the same taste in music.

I wouldn't really consider Circle Jerk Pit good lol. just better than Suburban Kings.

fucking Landscapes of all thing is better than both though lol.

Haha sorry but that's just crazy if you ask me, the chorus of SK is awesome and I love the drums.

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

I see this as an average release. It's not great, but it's not terrible. I feel like a lot of people just want it to be terrible because of what happened, but in reality it's just your average Tom release. Half the songs are pretty decent, rest are meh. I mean an endless summer and suburban kings is no different than the type of stuff Tom contributed to dogs eating dogs. I get hate for songs like animals, landscapes, and the lyrics of golden showers. But the rest is your typical Tom work from the last five years which people have seemed to be okay with although they prefer toms older work. I guess I just don't really see the argument that it's terrible, maybe meh at worst