Re: Tom Delonge To The Stars Demos, Odds And Ends

I'm surprised at the reaction here, after listening to it I expected more of a backlash... and am I seriously the only one pissed at the crucified line?!

lrt106 wrote:
frisky wrote:I'm actually surprised any of us give a F-U-C-K about this song.

Lol seriously I cringed when I heard that.

You and me both. yikes.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Am I the only one that is slightly bothered that the bridge melody in "New World" is basically stolen from the bridge in "Sugar We're Going Down" by Fallout Boy? :P I mean, there are only so many combinations of notes one can do and I know writing music isn't easy, but first he steals "Allstar" for "Boxing Day" and now another one...

You can still like the song, but I find "Sugar We're Going Down" to be superior :grin:

FelleAndersson wrote:Am I the only one that is slightly bothered that the bridge melody in "New World" is basically stolen from the bridge in "Sugar We're Going Down" by Fallout Boy? :P I mean, there are only so many combinations of notes one can do and I know writing music isn't easy, but first he steals "Allstar" for "Boxing Day" and now another one...

You can still like the song, but I find "Sugar We're Going Down" to be superior :grin:

I cannot remotely hear what you are talking about.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

the song isn't great (as I've said before).

I bet I'll get shit for it but I think it has a Neighborhoods feel to it but I actually like the production style on this track more. The production is terrible, I just mean in terms of stylistic choices. I feel like if it was a finished song with Mark and Travis's input, it would have been better than like half of Neighborhoods. It still wouldn't be a great song, but it'd be better than Wishing Well, MH, and This is Home and probably at least equal to After Midnight, Even if She Falls, and Love is Dangerous.

FelleAndersson wrote:In "New World" it's the line

"It violates and blinds the eyes" - http://youtu.be/6fphpeqjn9A?t=51s

That sounds similar to

"Drop a heart, break a name" - http://youtu.be/N68BgieLs3s?t=49s

in "Sugar We're Going Down"

Or am I imagining things?

Also, I meant the CHORUS in "New World" lol, sorry. I know it's a tiny tiny detail... But it still bothers me

Dude I was just thinking that this last night; I was going to post it I'm glad someone else noticed it too.

Can't really blame Tom, but he has a history with this so...
Last edited by saltygrapes on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
FelleAndersson wrote:Am I the only one that is slightly bothered that the bridge melody in "New World" is basically stolen from the bridge in "Sugar We're Going Down" by Fallout Boy? :P I mean, there are only so many combinations of notes one can do and I know writing music isn't easy, but first he steals "Allstar" for "Boxing Day" and now another one...

I cannot remotely hear what you are talking about.

Different tempos obviously but same key (D), same rhythmic timing of the melody and most importantly, same semitone progression.

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I'm surprised at the reaction here, after listening to it I expected more of a backlash... and am I seriously the only one pissed at the crucified line?!

lrt106 wrote:
frisky wrote:I'm actually surprised any of us give a F-U-C-K about this song.

Lol seriously I cringed when I heard that.

You and me both. yikes.

I didn't even really listen to the lyrics. I was just honing in on the melody and guitar. And I don't really feel like listening to it again to hear the lyrics lawl
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

A55VA6 wrote:I don't really care if the lyrics are bad or not, I care much more of how it sounds / the melody.

This is generally what Tom has been really good at in the past, up until he started making his songs sound like other songs.

The chorus of this song is literally the pre-chorus of Sugar We're Going Down, repeated like twenty times. It's a generic melody so we can't really fault Tom for it sounding the exact same as some arbitrary past song that just happened to be popular. But that in and of itself is the problem: it's generic. Which is why FOB used it as a pre-chorus that's repeated twice. Meanwhile Tom repeats it a million times in this song.

The intro riff of this song is another problem. It's not bad itself; it is actually very solid and it works well with the verses Tom wrote (which are passable, but not great). The problem is that it's repeated in the intro, the interlude after the first chorus, and is again used as the bridge of the song.

We can excuse these issues as "this is a demo that Tom didn't spend much time on or get any outside input on" but ultimately they make the song pretty bad in a musical sense.

As others have said, this song would be a lot better if:
a) It had an actual unique bridge that wasn't just repeating the intro
b) The 2nd and 3rd choruses were cut in half; the song would essentially be 30 seconds shorter and feel much less repetitive as a result.

The prechoruses on this song are money; they're extremely catchy and lyrically not terrible (though some don't like the F-U-C-K). But the rest of the song is a repetitive mess of generic blandness and could have definitely used extra sets of ears and more time working with it. It has potential melodically and there is a solid foundation there but it falls equally flat elsewhere.

MilfredCubicle wrote:You're digging real hard haha. I get what you're saying forsure, but I really think it's a coincidence because it's not like he has the same melody as 'we're always sleeping in, sleeping in for the home team" plus I doubt Tom even listens to FOB

It's not digging real hard, it's literally the exact same notes on the exact same timing within the rhythmic structure of the song.

I agree that it is definitely a coincidence that we can't fault Tom for, because if Sugar We're Going Down was never a popular song none of us would care. It's a generic melodic structure. This isn't a Saturday Love situation here where it's an obvious ripoff, but...

... as I point out in my previous post, that's the problem. It's generic. FOB used it twice, Tom repeated it 50 times and made my ears bleed by the end of it.

Tom's just losing touch with reality. He has so many projects going on now that even the hardcore Tom fans must be having trouble keeping up with. Plus the song was mediocre, just like basically everything he's done post-reunion. And to the few people comparing it to box car racer... The fuck are you talking about? Tom's voice ruined anything EVER sounding like box car racer ever again. Sorry to break it to you.

Maybe it's easier for me to hate on Tom now that he quit blink WITHOUT admitting it, and that he tries so fucking hard to make us pity him like he's been kicked out of the band. He's just not the same anymore. And I feel like we've all been through this "I want old Tom" phase, but I have truly come to terms with the fact that "old Tom" is not coming back. Tom is washed up. And he really his different compared to 10-15 years ago, and not in a good way.

It may sound bad, but I want to see him fail. The shit he's doing all for the sake of money and being a business man is just sick. There's no more passion.

I'm kinda just rambling, but I could not be more excited to see blink-182 with Matt Skiba. I need something real.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com