Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

Waggy wrote:

I think I actually like this new song... It's way different but at least it's interesting.

Yeah, definitely my favourite of the new songs. Lots of interesting, inventive stuff and some decent experimentation. If they are looking for an inspiration for where to take the music next, I think this is the perfect balance of new ideas/still sounding like blink. Feel the slightly creepy vibe at the beginning/first verse is vintage Matt Skiba.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

So everyone likes Last Train Home.

I'm really curious. What the fuck is everyone listening to nowadays? It would be interesting to get a feel for what people think is better than new blink. Like. I wanna know. Like, what is this masturbatory, experimental, different sounding, non-generic music? What in gods name could actually be "good" music to you people?

Is it AvA? If so, I don't want to hear it. I still can't listen to that EP all the way through. I just end up wanting to die.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

So I think I like this new batch of songs. Definitely more in line to what I thought skiba in blink would sound like. I will probably be back later this week with full thoughts, but initially I can't help but think that choosing 12-16 songs from the 28 would have yielded a really strong album. Drop filler like No Future, Kings of the Weekend, Teenage Satellites, and add in misery, last train home, 6/8, etc.

Also, am I the only person that hears old Good Charlotte in Don't Mean Anything?

I just REALLY wish Mark had some lyrical direction. I think it's why Cynical is such a standout track. He's actually saying something relevant. There are some good lyrical moments in California in total - Cynical, HISALP, San Diego - but man if I have to hear another song about winning/losing a war, starting a fire, door/floor, feeling lost, and other vague, semi-rebellious nonsense...

All in all though, I think as time goes by Skiba is becoming more and more comfortable, which is a good thing.

Edit: Oh and broc, wrong section of the forum but listen to bands like PUP, Dirty Nil, Mannequin Pussy, Screaming Females, Martha, Against Me, Joyce Manor, Charly Bliss, Beach Slang if you want to hear a modern take on pop punk that sounds fresh, experiments, and moves the genre forward, but is still rooted in what you might like. I think bands like blink, wonder years, all time low, modern baseball, real friends etc. are good, but merely perfect and imitate the genre as it has always been. Just my opinion there. It doesn't always have to be "masturbatory experimental stuff" for it to be fresh and a step forward. Against Me is a perfect example IMO. They have been around for decades now, but still remain highly relevant. Transgender Dysphoria Blues couldn't be more straightforward musically, but it tackles difficult subject matter in a way that feels raw and honest.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

I wouldnt call Against Me! pop punk. bit closer to punk really, fucking love Against Me!

Only songs I can stand from deluxe are 6/8 and Last Train Home. I dont mind blink doing the super pop punk thing but I draw the line at dudes in their 40s singing about being teens, using the same chord progression - and fucking riff - in every song and filling them with terrible lyrics and awful production.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

gompy182 wrote:The interview tom did on BCR today was very insightful. never fully understood the impact of BCR on the untitled album untill now. makes the lack of creativity on california seem more logical.

like if tom never did BCR would they have made another enema/TOYPAJ type of album instead of the untitled album?

Link?
It's Obvious

shpangler wrote:
gompy182 wrote:The interview tom did on BCR today was very insightful. never fully understood the impact of BCR on the untitled album untill now. makes the lack of creativity on california seem more logical.

like if tom never did BCR would they have made another enema/TOYPAJ type of album instead of the untitled album?

Link?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -blink-182

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line

In the interest of keeping debate alive, and keeping it loosely tied to blink. Some modern pop-punk bands I think are developing the genre that I'm also reppin' (a fair few British ones too).

These are the bands I think are strongest and could easily replace bands like blink and Green Day, in terms of influence, general songwriting and consistent quality of discography.

- The Story So Far
Spoiler: show

- Joyce Manor

- The Menzingers

- The Wonder Years

- Knuckle Puck

- Boston Manor

- Can't Swim

- Pup

- Crucial Dudes

- Direct Hit!

- Trash Boat

- Like Pacific

- Modern Baseball

- Gnarwolves
WE'RE NOT SAD ANYMORE

My music blog and stuff

Most recent post: 10 of the Best Songs About Getting Fucked Up

http://werenotsadanymore.wordpress.com

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:So everyone likes Last Train Home.

I'm really curious. What the fuck is everyone listening to nowadays? It would be interesting to get a feel for what people think is better than new blink. Like. I wanna know. Like, what is this masturbatory, experimental, different sounding, non-generic music? What in gods name could actually be "good" music to you people?

Is it AvA? If so, I don't want to hear it. I still can't listen to that EP all the way through. I just end up wanting to die.

The Menzingers, a band of dudes maybe 10-15 years younger than Mark Hoppus, just successfully wrote an album about their twenties ending and growing up while still looking back on their youth. It's a similar idea of what Mark/Matt/Feldman were attempting (and failed) to do (the idea of reflecting on your youth in an older, wiser, nostalgic way).

But at no point did the lyrics come off as cheesy, cheap, or lame. They were real, honest, genuine, and not forced. So for one, the Menzingers are a current band doing the punk sound right with brilliant story-telling. I highly recommend them as they're my a top 3 favorite band of mine.