Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

TheOctopus wrote:
tyler182 wrote:
Na Na Na Na wrote:Some guy cut out all the na na nas in the song.

Spoiler: show

Cut out the whoa-ohs and the gang vox and this song will still sound like something all time low would abort for not being punk enough.

so accurate.

and who's window is marks 40 yo ass climbing into at 3 am after Matt hurt his wrist at target?

My first thought was Tom. He probably used to sneak into his room at night and they'd get high and bitch about girls. He just replaced "Tom" with "Matt." Kinda sad actually.

tyler182 wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I'm shocked by everyone's responses. The guitars still aren't good enough, even with the finger-picking parts? Especially in the bridge? And the lyrics are bad? Even though they're telling a story .... instead of obscure metaphors that make no sense.

It's a punk rock song. Matt is yelling into the mic. The song is fast-paced.

You guys are nuts.

Do songs have to sound dark or slow or "serious" for you guys to think they're good? lol ...

The guitar parts were boring and I have absolutely NO interest in hearing 40 year old men singing about being teenagers. Not to mention beating the metaphorical dead horse with the nanas and whoa-ohs.

And, if you truly think any part of this song sounds like NOFX, you have brain damage.

This is not punk rock.

I guess you don't listen to NOFX then. When Mark sings "I rolled my ankle, Matt just broke his wrist" and "Yeah, we both sang, "Why can't I get one kiss?"" the melody and harmony undoubtedly found inspiration from NOFX. Lol ...

And I just think it's funny that all of you think the album is so bad when basically every song from the record charted. That has never happened with a blink record. Again, every song charted.

I hope blink continues down this path. If blink continued down the road of Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs, it would just be some sad attempt at being deep and something they're not. This song has more energy than every song in Neighborhoods combined .... obviously, no one knows what punk is about when people are complaining about the guitars and yelling ...
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

The two singles charted on the alternative charts, so did Up All Night. mostly because of streaming and itunes, you can't really compare it to previous releases because 2003 wasnt exactly a rocking time for the web.

Also, Neighborhoods had zero promotion from the label whilst California had so much marketing behind it I'd be amazed if they even broke even
Lastly, and I can't stress this enough, a song getting into the charts is not a sign of it's quality. Thats how wanktards like Ed Sheeran can have practically their entire album chart on release. it means nothing. People are literally saying how they feel about hearing the song, that songs success should not colour your opinion of how it sounds.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

i was trying to be positive when this album came out but it truly might be the worst album they have ever put out and the worst album of 2016 (obviously worse music out there, but i mean in this professional scope).

it starts decent with cynical and bored to death, songs i enjoy a lot but even they have awful production.

after those songs there is a sudden shift. the album suddenly feels immature all around. not just the lyrics, but overall vibe. in isolation some of these lyrics are age appropriate but the presentation makes it bad. it all becomes derivitave, corny, bland, and it really feels like this album was produced in 2001, but in a fake, not good way. I dont know how to put it into words. there are a couple of exceptions; los angeles and hisalp at least do something different, the latter feeling like a genuine song even. san diego is maybe at least self aware. but they arent well executed, and still sound dated.

this album is in many ways toypaj part 2 but the thing is, even on toypaj it feels insincere and sometimes lazy that they are singing juvenile pop punk songs about high school despite being mid-late 20s. that album at least had more punch and catchier riffs/melodies, but critics and the band themselves knew it was time for a change. this was the early 2000s. so why in 2016/2017 would they put out something less mature than toypaj?

i understand that they wanted to do a 'reboot' album of sorts where they recapture what made blink great, but you could do that while making mature music that moves forward at the same time. bored to death is mostly generic with distracting production gimmicks but it got this right. it's a catchy blink song about a relationship that started in a dive bar and got dull. it doesnt exactly move the band forward but it looks to the past while telling a new, age appropriate story.

but then here comes the na na nas and "inserted" cut and paste music and target and being a teenager and hanging out in parking lots i mean come on this shit isnt even fun and it doesnt feel real. travis's drum performances are really the only redeeming quality of these songs.

I should also add that even if they needed to move on after toypaj on toypaj they were clearly way more in touch with youth culture than they are now which adds to california's feeling of fakeness

It's like blink is always one step forward, two steps back...

Like, Neighborhoods wasn't a terribly written album, it was just mixed like shit. Now California is out and the production is really good, it's just written by a bunch of twatty pop stars.

It's pretty frustrating. There's no hype for new stuff anymore. I used to be ecstatic for new blink.

Oh well. The world is a cool place cause there's NEW BANDS out there with wayyyy better music than this. So, whatever, life goes on.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

Broc, your arguments for defending this garbage are becoming lamer every day. Songs charting doesn't mean shit, I mean, not even the smallest bit. You known what other song charted? Oops I did it again by Britney Spears.

I'm honestly starting to wonder whether Mark is actually behind all this or whether this whole project is just a final attempt to make money off of blink for as long as possible. You know, just release this album or maybe one more and then just milk it and ride it out for a couple more years. This is not an album written by musicians who love their craft. It was written and thought out by labels and producers. There is no love. It's garbage.

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:
tyler182 wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I'm shocked by everyone's responses. The guitars still aren't good enough, even with the finger-picking parts? Especially in the bridge? And the lyrics are bad? Even though they're telling a story .... instead of obscure metaphors that make no sense.

It's a punk rock song. Matt is yelling into the mic. The song is fast-paced.

You guys are nuts.

Do songs have to sound dark or slow or "serious" for you guys to think they're good? lol ...

The guitar parts were boring and I have absolutely NO interest in hearing 40 year old men singing about being teenagers. Not to mention beating the metaphorical dead horse with the nanas and whoa-ohs.

And, if you truly think any part of this song sounds like NOFX, you have brain damage.

This is not punk rock.

I guess you don't listen to NOFX then. When Mark sings "I rolled my ankle, Matt just broke his wrist" and "Yeah, we both sang, "Why can't I get one kiss?"" the melody and harmony undoubtedly found inspiration from NOFX. Lol ...

And I just think it's funny that all of you think the album is so bad when basically every song from the record charted. That has never happened with a blink record. Again, every song charted.

I hope blink continues down this path. If blink continued down the road of Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs, it would just be some sad attempt at being deep and something they're not. This song has more energy than every song in Neighborhoods combined .... obviously, no one knows what punk is about when people are complaining about the guitars and yelling ...

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/too ... Popularity

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

I don't think mark is in it just for the money.

I think he really cares about blink and that he has always had a tough time letting it go. when he says the band is essential to his identity, i think he means it. in practice i think the idea of it means more to him than the actual thing though. he likes the process of making albums and playing shows and being the guy from blink. but when it comes to what type of songs he actually wants to be making i think he is confused and directionless. he's doing this purely for fun and personal fulfilment, and to "maintain the legacy". so he and travis and matt (i assume mark initially leading the song writing process) try to aimlessly make an album because the idea of finally getting together to make an album is so much fun, but they decide they could do better and bring in feldmann who decided that what we got in california was what the ideal next blink album would sound like. in reality they probably started with an average, somewhat underwhelming album overall that feldmann turned into a downright bad album.

I dont care that they brought in other songwriters and all that. if mark wants the help there's no shame. he just relied on feldmann too much. i don't even wanna criticise feldmann too much, of course if the band your working with basically allows you to fill in the blanks for them it's gonna have your style integrated into it all over. i just am not a fan of said style.

edit: i forgot they threw out their own songs and only included songs they wrote with feldmann on this album. but you get my point.

I think the problem is that many of us, myself included, don't know how difficult it is to "make it." Sure, we can understand it to a degree, but we can never truly grasp the concept. So, while I understand that many of you believe that "popularity" or downloads don't signify whether something is good or not, I really think it comes down to this basic idea: writing a song that everyone can like is exceptionally harder than writer a song that only a select few like. In other words, it's easy to create something that only a few people will like, but when you're able to create something that more people like (and every person is profoundly different, with their own opinions and likes and dislikes and everything else) it's an incredible feat because you were able to connect with someone, thereby getting through every person's "barriers" (and by barriers I mean the type of crap they don't like in songs). So, no, I don't agree with you when people say that popularity has nothing to do with it. If it weren't for fans, bands wouldn't exist.

So many like pop not because "it's derivative or boring." That is COMPLETELY subjective. I, for one, like Britney Spears (and this is coming from a guy who listens to metal). It's hard to explain why I like pop but there's a reason why a song is popular. People liking pop isn't a horrible thing. It doesn't make their taste in music bad. It just means they like that style of music. And it turns out that more people like it. But being able to make it in "pop" is INSANELY hard. Staying relevant is even more difficult. And yet when a band is able to do it ... that means something.

Just because all of you don't like it, doesn't mean it's bad.

It seems that many of you have a problem with them singing about "immature" things. And, well, I can't argue that. That's something you feel. And that sucks. As for me, I'm fine with it. My viewpoint of the album, I guess, helps. I've said it a million times so I won't go into that much detail, but it's really a catharsis. They aren't just being nostalgic of the old times. They are RELIVING it. Blink lost their way on so many levels and now, coming back, they need to COMPLETELY embrace where they came from. And that includes getting into that mindset and writing about it holistically.

That's the only way they can heal ... and they're doing a phenomenal job of it.

Sure, you may not like it. But that doesn't mean it's bad. Bells and whistles aren't bad either .... it's part of the music ... so it's music. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it's bad writing. It just means you didn't like that particular "flair."

Give me something to work with guys. All I'm getting is how stupid and lame my opinions are ..... lol
-Hot Water Music

I admire your tenacity Broccoli but I don't think you're going to get much traction with people here now. Most peeps who post on 182online now don't like the direction the band has taken. That's fine, that's their opinion. But the dominance of negativity here to the band is what has caused me to not really want to post so much. That's not a criticism, that's my choice.
I loved the new album; I have friends who love blink, hated Neighborhoods, and loved the new album; I have friends who never really liked blink before but love the new album; and other mates who love everything they have done including the new album. So while it's totally ok for people on this forum to hate it and feel let down, that is not my experience of blink fans outside the forum. It's not the only barometer of what state the band is in (not that people are claiming it is- but it's good to be aware of). So I admire you still trying to stick up for blink, and I thought I'd post just to support you in that, but I don't think 182online is a place that generally likes the new direction. Hence the lack of solidarity you're getting haha.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

More na na's. Great! It's like somebody told them: remember that time 17 years ago when you had that huge hit with a song that had Na Na's all over it? Just repeat that xx times and you'll have a hit-selling record once again.

And as a reaction to previous post: Apart from the fact that it's very hard to distinguish what is pop and what is not, there's indeed nothing wrong with pop music. In fact some of the most brilliant, innovative and creative music ever was made by pop bands like The Beatles, Beach Boys, Prince, etc. etc. But why their music still stands out today is because they combined innovation/experimentation with pop themes that everybody can relate to. Something blink at its best moments did brilliantly as well. Since California however they have only those pop themes, and not the experimentation side that added that extra little something. I think the problem people have with California is that lots of songs sound the same on it. They lack the unique character that blink songs had before then, making them sound like just another pop punk band instead of the unique quality of blink-182. There's a couple of songs that stand out, but the vast majority is just basically a carbon copy of the previous one.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

First off, wink182, thanks for your post. That's actually been my experience, too, outside the forum. Here's a unique, weird story. I was at a wedding a few months ago (actually near you, Kay, it was in Scotland) and the bride and groom sat me at a table with the groom's band mates who play in a metal band (my wife was matron of honor so she wasn't subjected to all of the metal talk). Anyway, we ended up talking about blink for some reason, and I was surprised by the fact that they all absolutely adored California, saying it was the greatest release they'd seen from them since the early days. They were not only insane technical metalheads but many of them studied music in graduate school, so their comments really resonated with me on many levels. Random story, I know, but it's something that's stayed with me for a while.

And El Salvador your comment makes sense, too. If blink is done with tackling full-out experimental music from this point on, I'll be fine, though. If they throw occasional nuggets out there like Los Angeles then that's all I really need. I'm really fine with whatever. I'm just so extremely happy that the band is embracing this approach of having two vocalists at the forefront of every song. That was what made blink so magical before self-titled. Sure, Tom's unique guitars were great, but after everything that's happened over the years, I'm gobbling up the straight up punk chords and everything else that blink has been delighting us with.
-Hot Water Music

EOTS and TOYPAJ have 4 combined songs that have Mark and Tom both sing (and The Rock Show hardly counts) so I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about. This bullshit where they have both Mark and Matt on every song is beyond retarded and even the people who like California feel that way.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Return to “blink-182”