Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32241
yodda wrote:
Kay wrote:they've deserved the recognition for years and who the flying tits is the band that won?! cage the what? the fuck are they?

It was an award for the better album - not an award for who has been around the longest. By that logic Weezer really should have won - they've been around for almost as long, gotten way less recognition than blink and put out a MUCH better album.
I haven't listened to Cage the Elephant's record but it probably beats the hell out of blink's.

I don't agree. Weezer's album was stale. There was nothing stale about California. Again, opening an album with a song that does not follow the normal formula for a song (and also starts out in a way that is unique, not just for blink, but in general), followed by a song that's a successful skitzo, which leads into a refreshing TOYPAJ-sounding track that sounds better than any of the singles off TOYPAJ, which then leads into an experimental track that rivals the unique sound of Easy Target, arguably one of blink's most experimental tracks, which then flows into a song that takes intense stylistic cues from traditional folk and blends it with modern rock ... and those are only the first five songs .... heck. The song California is pretty the least-sounding blink track (the verses actually remind me of early Switchfoot) ... and yet it's apparently a bland, poppy punk album. Makes no sense.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32242
I just can't with this guy

I could go on about how the new blink album disguises poor, uninspired songwriting with 'bells and whistles' and swanky production but none of it would get through to you. So simply accept the fact that people have different opinions in music.
I still love some good blink (even two songs on the new record) but I totally understand people who think blink are hack songwriters who unfairly 'hit it big' - I don't necessarily agree, but I can understand their point of view.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32243
Kay wrote:its probably because they're contracted to promote California for like a two year run and they wanted to do new music so 'deluxe edition' is born. thats my assumption anyway.
Also as much as I hate the record, it sucks that they lost. they've deserved the recognition for years and who the flying tits is the band that won?! cage the what? the fuck are they?


If any band up for the award deserved it because of some "lifetime achievement" thing, it's Weezer, who has contributed way more to music than blink. Plus, they actually put out a good record last year, not a steaming pile of shit. Also, I don't particularly care for them, but Cage The Elephant is a pretty big, well respected band. No problem with them winning.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32245
yodda wrote:I just can't with this guy

I could go on about how the new blink album disguises poor, uninspired songwriting with 'bells and whistles' and swanky production but none of it would get through to you. So simply accept the fact that people have different opinions in music.
I still love some good blink (even two songs on the new record) but I totally understand people who think blink are hack songwriters who unfairly 'hit it big' - I don't necessarily agree, but I can understand their point of view.

I'm actually pretty curious. All I've been hearing is pretty much what you just said, describing it as "uninspired songwriting" with "bells and whistles," or calling it "Five Seconds To Summer" without going into much detail, or calling it a generic pop punk album when they were the ones that pretty much defined that genre, so you're saying that they're sounding like themselves which is actually a step in the right direction since they haven't sounded pop punk in a while. I don't know. Comments like that drive me crazy. How is it bad to sound like a particular genre? That's holistically subjective. You may not like the genre. Fine. But that doesn't make it uninspired. Every rock song is, in a sense, uninspired because it uses guitars, which is why I think "rock" saw this huge shift, where it now signifies indie/synth. But I digress.

The only detail is the lack of guitars (which, if you listen, isn't true, seeing as most of the guitar embellishes are there, they are just not in the forefront, but done so subtlety, one of my absolute favorites being in the bridge of Teenage Satellites, where there's this intense, metal-ish tremolo) and the saturation of "Na Nas" and "Whoas." The way I see it, they let the guitars take a well-deserved rest and replaced it with intense harmonies (best vocal harmonies on any blink album, save for the exceptional outro in Feelin This) and bass work.

If it's the guitars, look at untitled and Neighborhoods. Blink lost "fancy" guitar work long ago. To be honest, blink kind of went over board with it on TOYPAJ. It's fine in a few songs, but when there are these little Tom riffs in every single song, it starts to lose its appeal. It's like they realized how popular the riff was in Dumpweed and were like .... let's try and do that for every single song.

People say "uninspired" and I don't think they know what that means.

And I can't see "inspired" as being "dark"-sounding music. I've seen a lot of people on here associate dark with mature and profound writing, when that analysis is, in and of itself, shallow. Dark is a style, not the definition of meaningful, inspired music. Sure, you can say that the "dark" elements are a divergence away from a more light-sounding album (comparing blink's untitled with their earlier repertoire), therefore making it inspired because it saw an immense shift in sound. But using that logic, you then have to agree that the shift back to "summer time anthems" is, in and of itself, inspired, especially if blink has, since 2003, been in that mindset for so long, especially if it's a form of songwriting they're used to or have been performing organically.

Again, going back to the guitars, if you're going to say that just playing power chords is not a good form of songwriting, may I remind you that this album is not a throwback album but a tribute to "beginnings," cleverly disguised as a tribute to California, which is where blink was founded. It's clear in the song "Kings of the Weekend" when Mark sings "Thank God for punk rock bands." This album is blink's catharsis. After having deviated from their original sound for so long and losing a founding member, they are now looking back, not just at their own beginnings, but looking back at the genre that defined them, punk rock, which was never about intricate music, but straight forward song writing. I love the title of the album being California, but I would have also loved if it were "Thank God For Punk Rock Bands."

I think writing about your past is an incredible form of inspired lyrics, especially when you're in your 40s. That can't be easy to do.

Everyone is always saying how they could go on and on about "it," but then they never do. Go for it. I'd love to hear it. I can be convinced, but I just haven't heard any good arguments yet.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32246
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:
Everyone is always saying how they could go on and on about "it," but then they never do. Go for it. I'd love to hear it. I can be convinced, but I just haven't heard any good arguments yet.

You know maybe when I cared more about blink I would go into detail
But that's how weak and boring this album is; I don't even have the patience to sit through it and take notes.
So in a way you win because I'm not even trying
but even if I convinced you (which I never will) I'd get very little pleasure in it -- based on the bands you listen to we are worlds apart in musical taste.
I've read your stunningly in-depth praisings of California and I can't even begin to understand your point of view - so much so that I only read the last sentence of your last post.
I don't mean to sound rude but your opinions on this album and a lot of blink's material is so far removed from my own there is no possible way we could ever agree
Music is almost entirely subjective - you can't really back up an opinion with facts
example:
You say the She's Out of Her Mind music video was fun and hilarious...I found it to be insulting to the band's legacy, embarrassing and pathetic.

Neither opinion is based on fact so there is no point in arguing. This isn't some political debate where we can cite evidence, articles and historical events.

That's not to say all musical discussion (in this case - blink) is a waste of time and ultimately pointless.
I often disagree with Kay or frisky with blink related topics but I'll have a discussion with them because there's common ground and there's a possibility we might change each other's opinions.
I'll always enjoy debating these silly things - but basically not with you - I vehemently oppose everything you say.
Again not trying to be rude - I just have little interest in elucidating to you why I don't like what blink-182 have become.
Read negative reviews or comments on busier forums if you want my opinion on why I don't like the new album - I'll probably agree with the majority of it.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32251
xDumpweed182x wrote:Mark now says the best estimate for the deluxe album is May 19th...

Soon
Image

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32254
https://handsupmedia.com/2017/03/07/a-w ... pparently/
"No one is going to believe me but here it goes. My girlfriend and I ate a restaurant today. I noticed an Alkaline Trio tattoo on our server’s arm. So I made some conversation about that. He then told me his band has been in the studio with [John] Feldmann.

They are called DED. He has just been serving to make some extra money on the side. He’s about to go on tour. Anyway he said he heard the whole deluxe album and he said it’s so much better than California.

He said it’s darker and that they definitely found their sound with Matt on this one. Just thought I’d share. Pretty random that it was my waiter in Phoenix who already heard the new album."


Even if this is a lie which this person really has no reason to lie... this is basically what I'm expecting from this album either way. Very excited.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron