Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32041
Feeling This aside, I think Cynical is probably one of the greatest blink openers of all time. If there was some form of INSANE harmonies, then it could have beat through Feeling This like a sharp, sharp blade. It is definitely one of the most bold openers .... it's so intense on so many levels. JUST Mark and the bass? It's unheard of. An opener with new chorus? Fuckin' brutal.

Bored To Death has probably one of the greatest bridges by blink ... ever ... I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. She's Out Of Her Mind is, like, a better version of The Rock Show and First Date, combined, plus, I love how many parts the chorus includes ... And Los Angeles? It takes the strange vocal styles of Easy Target and puts it smack dab in the first four songs ... another bold move.

And those are only the first four songs. One fucking hell of an opener.

Untitled? One fucking hell of a song. Then a complete BCR snore fest ... the only redeeming quality being the totally intense guitar drop during the bridge. Love that part. Then we have a song that has so much potential and just becomes yet another Tom-filled song with Mark shoved to the side. (Again, the shared vocals IS what made blink. NOT the guitars. The guitars were a plus. But it was the vocals that really made blink, blink. People have said the guitars, but I just can't see that. It was a major quality, but pales in comparison to the shared vocals and the magic between Mark and Tom). And then there's Violence. The rapping was interesting ... yet all Tom with Mark just shoved into the background, like majorly ... and then the first time that a blink chorus sounded ... well ... recycled. It was a strange moment for me when I heard that chorus. And then .... even though I fell in love with the song ... Stockholm Syndrome ... great aggressive guitars that .... somehow ... sound so fucking boring. I remember showing this song to a few friends who enjoyed all of blink's repertoire up to TOYPAJ and were like ... "What? This is blink? So fucking boring."

Yah. California in the first four tracks utterly destroys pretty much everything that blink has done post-Enema.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32046
Kay wrote:Its very hard to try and have a discussion with you when I genuinely cannot even begin to understand your opinion. This isn't me insulting you, either. I genuinely do not remotely understand how you can have that view point. its beyond me.


I think the key here is in the word "opinion". Its his opinion about these songs. He can like what ever he wants to like. Just like so many people on this fourm choose to hate California or hate Neighborhoods. Just like how I can't understand how people don't like Shes out of her mind. The intro the whole thing ((TO ME)) is an old school blink song. An opinion is an opinion. There is no need for base fact, not even sure in most cases you can have facts. Opinions are not measurable opinions are not a science.

This is also why I feel like this fourm dies down so much. Once an album comes out. You either like it or you don't. Not really to much discuss on that after that. After you express your opinions Its kind of done. Most people in this day and age are to stubborn to ever have their opinion changed. This really digs deep to me for music. With movies, video games there are at least visually queues you can base stuff on. Bad special effects, bad costumes. Bad camera. Outside of something the sound quality of the songs there is almost nothing measurable.

In my mind even trying to counter someones opinion is wasteful. State yours, let them state theirs and move on. This is all subjective, no matter what anyone says thats never going to change.
Image

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32047
...yes I know all that. But in most instances, I can understand the logic applied to someone elses opinion, or I try to see that perspective even if it doesn't line up with my own. his I just can't make sense of. Again, not judging him for it, or insulting him for it, I just cannot remotely understand his opinion whatsoever. in my opinion, his opinion is crazy-town-banana-pants.
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32049
Maybe the problem I've had with untitled is that it was WAY to self-conscious of itself. They wanted to make a really dark album that would sound nothing like blink. And it sounds like it. They were just trying WAY too hard . When you listen to it, it just sounds so lifeless because they were trying to create something they just couldn't make. I wouldn't go so far and say that the music is pretentious because it's nowhere technical enough or in any way complicated lyrically. But, at the same time, it feels as though Tom was trying to sound mature but only made it halfway to maturity. So it's only half of something whole. And that makes it lame.

And I think this "half baked" feeling comes across completely in Stockholm. There are these little flourishes here and there, but they're so half-assed that they just come across as wasteful. They could've just created some straight forward, power chords that would've been great. But instead, they tried to do something different, but it doesn't work but they just aren't capable of that sound they were trying to go for.

I think it's the same argument as blink's acoustic "sessions." They're acoustic, so they should be more intricate, but they're not. They're just power chords. And acoustic power chords are kind of weird. I think that's how I view untitled. I'm not saying they're acoustic songs, but they have that feel to them that they should be something more, but you don't get it. So you're left with something completely hollow.

In California, they weren't trying to be different. They were just making straight up punk songs. So it's easy to jam too. There are some embellishments here and there and because of that, it doesn't annoy the fuck out of you and you can enjoy them. I think that's one of the reasons why TOYPAJ annoys me so much. They were trying way too hard to make an Enema part II and it just suffers because of that.

When you don't try and just do, it turns out so much better.

The guitars work in California because it fits the music. They don't try to go over the top and fail in that effort. They just make some jammin' songs that work as jammin' songs. There's power behind them that was lost in untitled because they were trying to make this masterpiece. And the energy and passion is lost because of it.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32050
frisky wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:In California, they weren't trying to be different.


What's different? Half the album is them trying to recreate songs from Enema and TOYPAJ. Writing nostalgic songs is not being different. The other half of the album could have been written by any band influenced by blink. Making mainstream pop-punk songs is not being different.

That's my point. That's why this album works. The point I was making was that they WEREN'T trying to be different. They were trying to be different with untitled ... like, they went so out of their way to create something that they hadn't done before, basically, what wasn't them, and in turn, they created a beast they couldn't wield. But that was NOT the case in California. They were trying to be themselves. They needed to do this in order to go forward. When your band is shaken to the core and you lose 33.3333% of what made the band, the band, you need to go at the source and master it before you can continue.

That was the purpose of this album.

It's like a bad breakup. Before you can move on, you have to figure who you are as a person before you can begin again.

This album needed to happen. It was therapeutic. After so much change ... so much meaningless change .... the band is finding their footing.

This album has enough "forward-thinking" songs to not make it generic. There is NOTHING generic about Los Angeles, San Diego, ESPECIALLY California, one of their greatest songs that blink has ever made, in my opinion.

With untitled, they lost sight of who they were as a band. And that's why it failed as an album.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32051
Nah, it's why it fails and why Mark comes across as a pathetic panderer. Being stagnant is the worst thing you can be as a musician and being a fucking stagnant pop-punk band singing about girls in their 40s means you should be fired out of a cannon.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32052
breathwish wrote:Nah, it's why it fails and why Mark comes across as a pathetic panderer. Being stagnant is the worst thing you can be as a musician and being a fucking stagnant pop-punk band singing about girls in their 40s means you should be fired out of a cannon.

Wait. So it's pathetic for him to pander to a genre which his band basically invented? Lol. Lots of bands do "throwback" records. And, like I said, this is the PERFECT time to create one. They just lost a sole member of the band. Before they can continue evolving, before they can experiment, they have to find their footing first. You can't experiment with something that is, in and of itself, an experiment. They have a new singer. That is insane. You can't just fuck around. You have to start at your roots before going forward. It's hella logical.

And you can say it's bad to do what Mark did with California as a musician. That makes sense. But there's nothing stagnant about this album ... they have gotten an insane amount of hype. An insane amount. Especially after losing a sole member. It's resonated with a lot of people and the music industry, which isn't very kind to "old bands" and, especially one that is moving away from bands that use guitars, so there's nothing stagnant about it. They basically made a record that still can reach a new generation, which is a big deal, an insanely big deal. Like I said, you could say it's not good on an artistic level. But damn. To say the album is stagnant because of it, that's crazy. If none of the singles charted, if the album didn't make it in the top 200. Then, sure, I would say you're right. But I can't in this case. The fact that Bored to Death was so much more successful than She's Out Of Her Mind proves this. She's Out Of Her Mind is too much like old blink. So it didn't do well. But Bored to Death? That thing went far. Why? Because it's blink, yet, there's something different about it. Evolution. So there's no way in hell that that song is stagnant ... and it basically summarizes the record ... so ....

And then there are other songs that are completely different ... that song California is one of the most progressive songs blink has ever done. There are hardly any guitars in it. Blink has done that in the past, but they only did that with crappy-sounding synths. No. That song is insanely progressive for the band, and basically disproves what you said about them making generic pop-punk. Then there's Los Angeles, whose verses are insanely experimental. Then there's Sober, which is like modern-day rock. That's not pop punk. Then there's "Home..." which is basically their first ballad. Then there's San Diego, the most untitled sounding song on the record. That's one hell of a lot of songs on a complete throwback record that "fails."
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32053
Lol California has not "received a lot of hype" or "resonated with people in the music industry" at all. Nobody cares about this record outside of blink fans. It has a Metacritic score of 63 (worse than untitled, shocking). It's not receiving or nominated for any awards. The vast majority of people don't care about blink in 2016 and this record is good reason.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32054
breathwish wrote:Lol California has not "received a lot of hype" or "resonated with people in the music industry" at all. Nobody cares about this record outside of blink fans. It has a Metacritic score of 63 (worse than untitled, shocking). It's not receiving or nominated for any awards. The vast majority of people don't care about blink in 2016 and this record is good reason.

See, your mistake is comparing the hype of this album to untitled. After TOYPAJ, blink were at the top of their game. So of course they would have gotten a great deal more of attention. It was a sweet spot. Blink has gone through two hiatuses since then, and are still "pandering to pop-punk" like you said and, yet, despite those insane odds, they are still able to chart and are still able to make a dent on the airwaves. When you compare that to the vast number of rock bands that have been going on for over 10 years, this is incredible. So, yes, despite all of these seemingly insurmountable odds, people are still writing about them and are still commenting on their music. If they were just as stagnant as you say they were, they would have gotten no recognition.

I believe that if blink released this album after TOYPAJ, then it would have done insanely better. But, of course, that's all speculation.

The fact that She's Out Of Her Mind has just bumped up on rock radio proves they aren't disappearing just yet. They're still gaining recognition, despite the fact that they are well past their prime (limelight wise).

EDIT: Add the fact that there are people who hated blink before but now like them (my wife included) shows they are not just a hype with blink fans. More casual listeners are now listening to blink, which disproves your argument. They're becoming more accessible, which is a lot harder to do than just pander to "pop-punk" which less people listen to ... and for good reason.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32055
California seems to me like a lame attempt to go back to the past. Sure, I enjoy it every now and then just for the sake of listening to something different but that doesn't mean that I think it's great or at least good. Even Neighborhoods is miles ahead of California in spite of the lack of input in the album's cohesiveness. Tom brought a different perspective, he made it go forwards rather than backwards like Mark has done and I more or less him dislike him now for having talked shit about Tom for the ideas and influences he brought to blink whilst his music sounds like a blink's catchy ripoff.

Now, we all blame Tom for all the lows Neighborhoods has but I've come to think that it was probably Mark that just wanted to make a shitty pop punk record like California (hint: This Is Home) and didn't have the balls to tell Tom to fuck off with his ideas to his face since as Tom has previously stated, he had his way for the two records blink wrote post reunion. Blink is done for me without Tom as well.
I'll keep my head exploding,
And keep on loving you,
Feed me; I'm your parasite.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#32056
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote: Wait. So it's pathetic for him to pander to a genre which his band basically invented? Lol. Lots of bands do "throwback" records. And, like I said, this is the PERFECT time to create one. They just lost a sole member of the band. Before they can continue evolving, before they can experiment, they have to find their footing first. You can't experiment with something that is, in and of itself, an experiment. They have a new singer. That is insane. You can't just fuck around. You have to start at your roots before going forward. It's hella logical.


I suppose this is fair. As I've said before, I'm willing to give blink a chance with everything they do because they're my favorite band, always will be. So hopefully their next effort will be more of an original product that will be more organic with Skiba's influences and the band can stake out a new identity in that sense. However, I think you are giving wayyyyyy to much credit to how much of an "influence" California had. Yea, it sold well the first week, but that will happen when a band with name recognition puts out a highly anticipated album. The drop in sales, the lack of interest here and elsewhere, and the lack of success of SOOHM tells me that the album has little staying power or influence. I suspect if the next album is more of the same, it will do poorly.

Also, for someone who hates untitled and doesn't think it should be some sort of benchmark for blink comparisons, you sure talk about it a lot and compare everrryytthhinngg to it. I cant' remember and I'm genuinely curious: what were your thoughts on Neighborhoods?
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron