Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29921
scoobs wrote:
Elevator wrote:"Brohemian Rhapsody" is definitely a little bit cringe worthy.

Not that I disagree, but could you be more of a Debbie downer?


I'd rather be myself than pretend to be elated with the mediocre material being fed to me. Obviously my posts are not welcome here right now, sadly. It really, really bums me out that I'm not allowed to not like what I'm seeing and hearing.

No matter what artwork they chose or what song they chose to release, some people were going to be unhappy. At the end of the day, you really have to separate this band from the blink that existed years ago. Everything will pale in comparison to what you hold near and dear from the past. Gotta separate it. I think one of the things I find truly frustrating about the break up in 2005 was that it happened right in the middle of blink's most creative and exciting phase in their career. When they got back together and time had passed, they now suddenly had to live up to a legacy they left behind. They had to "make a blink-182 album." They no longer were just three friends writing music and seeing where it took them. It gave them something to have to live up to and be.

This feels like Mark and Travis and Matt were able to just go in the studio and have fun and make an album. Like in 2003 when Travis said about untitled "let's pretend it's our first album." I think they were able to take that approach this time too - a fresh start, no precedent or mold was set that they had to comply with.


I agree with this good post, and let me be clear - I didn't want to be unhappy. The album artwork was definitely not a good start, then the album name was a real surrender, and the song I wanted (the aggressive fun chase we heard in the non-blink snippet from a few days ago) was not remotely close to what I was hoping for. Everybody else seems to like it, but I swear to you I wasn't waiting to hate on this stuff. I wanted to celebrate with all of you and go nuts just like we were all doing years ago with Up All Night, but it's not working.

You all think I'm somebody who loves to be miserable and hates on everything, but I'm simply very critical, outspoken, and have extremely high standards. That rubs people the wrong way, sure, but it's a drag to have to fight so hard around here to have any perspective. I guess I dug that hole for myself, but just because I don't like this doesn't mean I don't love blink. Past, present, and future. It's just very different, and I'd appreciate it if some of you would have some fucking objectivity once the high wears off.
Image


twitter

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29924
For me it just sounds like blink-182 and that's why I like it. I haven't been a really avid blink listener for a few years now. So I'm kinda jumping back now to check it out because I still love them and love Matt Skiba.

To me, blink always had that great crisp studio sound with great punk guitar tones and awesome crisp drums and bass. That was lacking on Neighborhoods for me. Jerry was gone unfortunately and that sound he helped them craft was such a huge component. The self production of neighborhoods honestly sounds like garbage to me. This new single has that nice gloss and nice production that I missed.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, for sure, but don't get down just yet, there's 15 more songs to check out. The single is never the best song on the album as we all know. I mean I could care less if you like it or not really but don't hold the standard so so high. It's hard not to though, I get it. But look at it this way: that stuff you find so nostalgic and awesome about blink (their old artwork, whatever else) is awesome BECAUSE of the nostalgia involved. It's hard to compare everything to 1999-2003 when they were at their peak, every decision they made in regards to their logo and artwork and song title choices and trivial things like that all seem perfect in retrospect because it represented a time in your life, and so much time has passed and they've become so iconic so they're so instilled. You can't compare this new stuff to that in the same way.
Last edited by brian. on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29927
brian. wrote:It's hard to compare everything to 1999-2003 when they were at their peak, every decision they made in regards to their logo and artwork and song title choices and trivial things like that all seem perfect in retrospect because it represented a time in your life, and so much time has passed and they've become so iconic so they're so instilled. You can't compare this new stuff to that in the same way.

Ah man, great post and well said brian,

Here's video to the kroq interview if anyone is interested:
http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2016/04/27/bli ... -to-death/

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29928
On iTunes you can see track lengths. BTD is the longest song on the album, so maybe suggesting others stuff will be faster.

And Brohemian Rhapsody is only 30 seconds so definitely some kinda joke.
Built this pool is 16 seconds too.
Image


The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29929
brian. wrote:For me it just sounds like blink-182 and that's why I like it. I haven't been a really avid blink listener for a few years now. So I'm kinda jumping back now to check it out because I still love them and love Matt Skiba.

To me, blink always had that great crisp studio sound with great punk guitar tones and awesome crisp drums and bass. That was lacking on Neighborhoods for me. Jerry was gone unfortunately and that sound he helped them craft was such a huge component. The self production of neighborhoods honestly sounds like garbage to me. This new single has that nice gloss and nice production that I missed.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, for sure, but don't get down just yet, there's 15 more songs to check out. The single is never the best song on the album as we all know. I mean I could care less if you like it or not really but don't hold the standard so so high. It's hard not to though, I get it. But look at it this way: that stuff you find so nostalgic and awesome about blink (their old artwork, whatever else) is awesome BECAUSE of the nostalgia involved. It's hard to compare everything to 1999-2003 when they were at their peak, every decision they made in regards to their logo and artwork and song title choices and trivial things like that all seem perfect in retrospect because it represented a time in your life, and so much time has passed and they've become so iconic so they're so instilled. You can't compare this new stuff to that in the same way.


It's all opinion, but speaking in general terms...usually the singles are the best songs on albums. That's why they're released as singles.

Completely agree on the production on Neighborhoods. It sounded far from crisp on a lot of the songs. It was extremely weird and felt unfinished in that aspect.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29931
Elevator wrote:
Image


Lol dude. I get you're disappointed but I also don't think you're thinking clearly. "Pick a state"???? Blink IS California. It wasn't some random decision. It's where they are from, what shaped them. All no evidence that it was just a lazy, phone in name. There are songs called "San Diego" and "Los Angeles" so maybe there's some sort of concept. I get that you don't like the art, but is that really THAT big of a deal?

Edit: oh, also, how do you know the artwork is inapplicable? Again, might be going for a concept. The drive from San Diego to LA and back? Could be something cool. just take a step off the ledge.
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29933
It was for a laugh. I mean yeah, nothing says good design like leaving 2/3rds of the available area white space, then planting generic fonts underneath it so it looks like a lot of cliche movie posters.

Image

Image

Image


Great albums certainly can have shit artwork, but this felt intensely uninspired considering the new direction.

I've only listened to it once but I'm with Elevator, pretty dang underwhelmed. Sounds like a weird hybrid of +44 and Alkaline Trio -which totally makes sense! But they kept saying old school blink and it is just not.

Also I am less than optimistic of Mark's ability to pull it off live.


Nice knowing I'm not alone.
Image


twitter

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29934
Nevermind wrote:
brian. wrote:For me it just sounds like blink-182 and that's why I like it. I haven't been a really avid blink listener for a few years now. So I'm kinda jumping back now to check it out because I still love them and love Matt Skiba.

To me, blink always had that great crisp studio sound with great punk guitar tones and awesome crisp drums and bass. That was lacking on Neighborhoods for me. Jerry was gone unfortunately and that sound he helped them craft was such a huge component. The self production of neighborhoods honestly sounds like garbage to me. This new single has that nice gloss and nice production that I missed.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, for sure, but don't get down just yet, there's 15 more songs to check out. The single is never the best song on the album as we all know. I mean I could care less if you like it or not really but don't hold the standard so so high. It's hard not to though, I get it. But look at it this way: that stuff you find so nostalgic and awesome about blink (their old artwork, whatever else) is awesome BECAUSE of the nostalgia involved. It's hard to compare everything to 1999-2003 when they were at their peak, every decision they made in regards to their logo and artwork and song title choices and trivial things like that all seem perfect in retrospect because it represented a time in your life, and so much time has passed and they've become so iconic so they're so instilled. You can't compare this new stuff to that in the same way.


It's all opinion, but speaking in general terms...usually the singles are the best songs on albums. That's why they're released as singles.

Completely agree on the production on Neighborhoods. It sounded far from crisp on a lot of the songs. It was extremely weird and felt unfinished in that aspect.


Meh idk man, is your favorite song on Enema All the Small Things? Mine sure isn't. See what I'm getting at? I feel singles are good to draw people in and gain interest, but my favorite musical moments tend to be in deeper cuts on albums and that goes for pretty much every band. The single rarely is my favorite moment of any album. It's hard to judge a whole album based on the single because the single never really challenges the listener. Even I can admit the song is pretty straightforward and simple but that's why it's good single material. I'm sure the best has yet to be heard.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29938
Nevermind wrote:Hell, at least those movie posters used the white space for text. The blank white space bothers me way too much, ha. But I"ll get over it.

What does everyone else think of the artwork?


I will say this for it: It would be so much better if there was NO text on it at all, and just the artwork standing alone. That is something you could have as a cool thing to hang or blow up into something above your couch, you know? Letting the artwork just SPEAK and not sharting BLINK-182 CALIFORNIA on it like a fucking footnote.
Image


twitter

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29939
brian. wrote:
Nevermind wrote:
brian. wrote:For me it just sounds like blink-182 and that's why I like it. I haven't been a really avid blink listener for a few years now. So I'm kinda jumping back now to check it out because I still love them and love Matt Skiba.

To me, blink always had that great crisp studio sound with great punk guitar tones and awesome crisp drums and bass. That was lacking on Neighborhoods for me. Jerry was gone unfortunately and that sound he helped them craft was such a huge component. The self production of neighborhoods honestly sounds like garbage to me. This new single has that nice gloss and nice production that I missed.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, for sure, but don't get down just yet, there's 15 more songs to check out. The single is never the best song on the album as we all know. I mean I could care less if you like it or not really but don't hold the standard so so high. It's hard not to though, I get it. But look at it this way: that stuff you find so nostalgic and awesome about blink (their old artwork, whatever else) is awesome BECAUSE of the nostalgia involved. It's hard to compare everything to 1999-2003 when they were at their peak, every decision they made in regards to their logo and artwork and song title choices and trivial things like that all seem perfect in retrospect because it represented a time in your life, and so much time has passed and they've become so iconic so they're so instilled. You can't compare this new stuff to that in the same way.


It's all opinion, but speaking in general terms...usually the singles are the best songs on albums. That's why they're released as singles.

Completely agree on the production on Neighborhoods. It sounded far from crisp on a lot of the songs. It was extremely weird and felt unfinished in that aspect.


Meh idk man, is your favorite song on Enema All the Small Things? Mine sure isn't. See what I'm getting at? I feel singles are good to draw people in and gain interest, but my favorite musical moments tend to be in deeper cuts on albums and that goes for pretty much every band. The single rarely is my favorite moment of any album. It's hard to judge a whole album based on the single because the single never really challenges the listener. Even I can admit the song is pretty straightforward and simple but that's why it's good single material. I'm sure the best has yet to be heard.


I totally understand what you mean.

I don't know...honestly, all the small things may be my favorite song off of that album nowadays. I tend to appreciate singles a lot more than I used to just in general. As a kid I probably had the attitude of "everyone likes this song and I'm sick of it, it's too mainstream, whatever." Now I really appreciate the singles that made it big and were played a ton. Obviously if it resonates with a lot of people outside of the normal fan group, something about the song is pretty damn good. What's "good" and what "isn't good" is all opinion though and I understand what you're saying completely.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#29940
Totally man, agreed. Singles are always better when you look back. You kinda get beat over the head with them at first.

Live I've said a few times I'm not really into much pop punk/punk anymore. A few bands, Blink being chief among them, have a special place in my heart. I'm just excited to hear new music, and was not disappointed. I am now hungrier for the rest of the album for sure so the single did its job!
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron