Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19882
Raku wrote:Don't feel like joining this debate, but I do have to agree with Matt on the less is more stuff (not limited to drums though).

Anyway, I am hoping we get to see the full video of the Pat Brown cover...

Yeah I changed my argument to the whole band needs to tone it down but I still kept Travis as the root of evil though 'cause what's he going to do about it? Talk? Eat it, Travis, you silent bastard.
Image

Oh, Baby... Good Times!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19883
Wrecked Him wrote:Their sound is stale now, Frisky, what's your point?

wait, I have to address something first 1) if you think Enema and Dude Ranch are the same thing and the only difference is Travis then you don't get an opinion. 2) Adam's Song sucks... its a lame song about a kid who killed himself and being homesick on tour. Yes, I get the relation, we were all deep and sad teenagers... we grow up, trust me, you stop relating and the songs stops making sense. 3) I still think Untitled was shit... sue me.


Okay first I never even came CLOSE to saying that Enema and Dude Ranch are the same. I said the DRUMMING STYLE is the same. Quick, cali-punk drumming with an emphasis on eighth notes, and lots of work with the snare on the offbeat. Yes, as a whole they are completely different albums, but the drumming styles are similar.

I gotta disagree with your whole premise too that Travis is the reason blink went in the direction it did. If you think that Tom's gonna write anything besides what HE feels like writing you're crazy. So point is, Travis or no Travis, Tom would have still picked up the U2 album and changed his style (and subsequently blink's style). You even said yourself that Tom and Mark have been recycling song ideas. I don't see how Travis is the reason for that. I understand your point that building around drumbeats (like After Midnight) would likely control the direction of the song, but I think writing songs that way for blink is the exception, not the rule. Tom is the driving song writer and we're at this point with or without Travis. All he does, as DearYou points out, is add creativity to the drumming. Actually, I think one of Travis's biggest strengths is his ability to adapt to any style. His musical choices are always spot on, not just as an individual artist, but in connection with whatever band he's playing with. I think any drummer would tell you that. So you bring him straight forward pop punk songs ala early blink, he gives you the perfect drumming to fit that. you bring him a rap beat, he'll give you the perfect drumming to fit that.

Also, your second and third point make it pretty obvious that we can debate all day, but what it all comes down to is that the direction blink has gone in isn't your favorite. seems like if blink wrote 7 dude ranch/cheshire cat you'd be stoked. so would I (I always thinks its sad how quickly they moved away from the punk of cheshire cat to more pop-punk). but i still love everything they've done since just as much. Either way tho, Travis isn't to blame.
Last edited by blinkfan4evr54 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19885
Wrecked Him wrote:
Raku wrote:Don't feel like joining this debate, but I do have to agree with Matt on the less is more stuff (not limited to drums though).

Anyway, I am hoping we get to see the full video of the Pat Brown cover...

Yeah I changed my argument to the whole band needs to tone it down but I still kept Travis as the root of evil though 'cause what's he going to do about it? Talk? Eat it, Travis, you silent bastard.

One thing I have to say on this debate though:

I do see where you're coming from with Mark, and Tom relying on Travis more when songwriting though. Both Mark, and Tom had to write interesting riffs for both Guitar, and Bass because the drums weren't the focus of pre-enema blink like it is now. Post-enema (more so in Self-Titled, and post reunion) doesn't have any guitar/bass parts that are interesting. Sure Wishing Well's riff is nice, but that is one guitar riff out of how many? XD

It would be nice if Mark/Tom could write some interesting bass/guitar parts again. I believe they have in them still, but it's entirely up to them to write...
Thanks Kay.
Image


http://mysummerjob.mybrute.com
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19887
blinkfan4evr54 wrote:I gotta disagree with your whole premise too that Travis is the reason blink went in the direction it did.

Serious question, weren't there interviews by either Mark or Tom that said Travis introduced/encouraged them to experiment with other sounds/genres though?

I might be remembering things wrong, but I could swear Mark and/or Tom said something like that in an interview a long time ago.
Thanks Kay.
Image


http://mysummerjob.mybrute.com
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19888
Wrecked Him wrote:Tone down the drums and you tone down the rest of the band and the songs start working better dynamically and structurally and that is the basis for every good song, the play on emotional dynamics and structure.

Same goes for Tom too... the guy needs to get off Space's dick and come back down to Earth for a while. Synth and delay are great until you use them for every god damn thing... I'm not even talking about using them in ways that vary... its literally the. same. god. damn. noises and settings.

Same goes for Tom too... the guy needs to get off Space's dick and come back down to Earth for a while. Synth and delay are great until you use them for every god damn thing... I'm not even talking about using them in ways that vary... its literally the. same. god. damn. noises and settings. In fact the only one who hasn't lost their mind musically is Mark but god help the man if he can ever manage to write a decent song lyrically with out trying to sound like fucking Edgar Allen Poe again. I guess what I'm saying, again, is the whole band needs to take it down a notch and build itself up from the basics again. Untitled worked because they were at that point musically, they built up to it... now they are just throwing shit at microphones and computers while Travis changes directions 4 times and adds 9 snare hits, 5 tom hits and at least 3 and a half cymbals hits.... not because it makes the song better but because he has the fucking skill to do so and he's the only one in the band who is capable of that kind of talent so mark and tom are gonna let him 'cause fuck it he can actually play and they don't want to be known as the band who wrote songs a 7 year old can play anymore.... ::phew run on sentence:: all the while they're still hoping to stumble upon another Feeling This.

Okay, I'm done... I feel better... you guys go ahead and tell me all the ways I'm wrong. I'm gonna crash. The old man rant is done.

Yea, Tom, that is a wall of text, good boy.


Yea dude i know exactly what you mean with this. The delay and the synth are getting old fast. the frustrating thing about Neighborhoods was that it completely got away from the core of blink (the punk vibe). I heard that coming back in spots on the EP so lets hope that trend continues
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19889
blinkfan4evr54 wrote:
Wrecked Him wrote:Tone down the drums and you tone down the rest of the band and the songs start working better dynamically and structurally and that is the basis for every good song, the play on emotional dynamics and structure.

Same goes for Tom too... the guy needs to get off Space's dick and come back down to Earth for a while. Synth and delay are great until you use them for every god damn thing... I'm not even talking about using them in ways that vary... its literally the. same. god. damn. noises and settings.

Same goes for Tom too... the guy needs to get off Space's dick and come back down to Earth for a while. Synth and delay are great until you use them for every god damn thing... I'm not even talking about using them in ways that vary... its literally the. same. god. damn. noises and settings. In fact the only one who hasn't lost their mind musically is Mark but god help the man if he can ever manage to write a decent song lyrically with out trying to sound like fucking Edgar Allen Poe again. I guess what I'm saying, again, is the whole band needs to take it down a notch and build itself up from the basics again. Untitled worked because they were at that point musically, they built up to it... now they are just throwing shit at microphones and computers while Travis changes directions 4 times and adds 9 snare hits, 5 tom hits and at least 3 and a half cymbals hits.... not because it makes the song better but because he has the fucking skill to do so and he's the only one in the band who is capable of that kind of talent so mark and tom are gonna let him 'cause fuck it he can actually play and they don't want to be known as the band who wrote songs a 7 year old can play anymore.... ::phew run on sentence:: all the while they're still hoping to stumble upon another Feeling This.

Okay, I'm done... I feel better... you guys go ahead and tell me all the ways I'm wrong. I'm gonna crash. The old man rant is done.

Yea, Tom, that is a wall of text, good boy.


Yea dude i know exactly what you mean with this. The delay and the synth are getting old fast. the frustrating thing about Neighborhoods was that it completely got away from the core of blink (the punk vibe). I heard that coming back in spots on the EP so lets hope that trend continues
Synthesizer and Delay are getting stale!!???? Hardly not i LOOOOOVVVEEEEE that I don't wan't Blink-182 to have like Enema and TYPAJ Part 100!!! LOL In all respect compaird to AVA, Blink-182 are using it to support and accompany the music as for AVA That's basically to revers where Synthesizer's lead the song and Drums and Guitar support and accompany the song!! As for Daley Guitar's I feel that Blink-182 is making good use of it as in it's used to bring the song's intro a different direction!.. As for AVA the entire thing is all about Delay Guitar and the direction is not that diverse..

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19890
Raku wrote:
Wrecked Him wrote:
Raku wrote:Don't feel like joining this debate, but I do have to agree with Matt on the less is more stuff (not limited to drums though).

Anyway, I am hoping we get to see the full video of the Pat Brown cover...

Yeah I changed my argument to the whole band needs to tone it down but I still kept Travis as the root of evil though 'cause what's he going to do about it? Talk? Eat it, Travis, you silent bastard.

One thing I have to say on this debate though:

I do see where you're coming from with Mark, and Tom relying on Travis more when songwriting though. Both Mark, and Tom had to write interesting riffs for both Guitar, and Bass because the drums weren't the focus of pre-enema blink like it is now. Post-enema (more so in Self-Titled, and post reunion) doesn't have any guitar/bass parts that are interesting. Sure Wishing Well's riff is nice, but that is one guitar riff out of how many? XD

It would be nice if Mark/Tom could write some interesting bass/guitar parts again. I believe they have in them still, but it's entirely up to them to write...

The guitar/bass in Untitled was fucking awesome.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19892
It comes down to what era you became attached to them with. In my opinion, Untitled is their best. And I'm not going to expect anything near it. And their past stuff is great but not on par with it, in my opinion. So I feel like if you became obsessed with Blink at Dude Ranch, a part of you has been waiting for a Dude Ranch pt. 2 forever. It's a subconscious thing. Cause when Neighborhoods came out I knew they wouldn't surpass Untitled but subconsciously I wanted to believe that. I dunno.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19896
Yea its true we could argue opinions all day, but the original argument was that Travis is dispensable as a member of the band, and that maybe he is to blame for some of the misfires since blink got back together->I still think this is absurd for my reasons above.

Also, just a thought, but i wonder if part of the reason that people feel that each release isn't meeting whatever expectation they had set out is just because we're alll getting older/more jaded. It seems like most people on this board probably started listening to blink between 12-18. I know back then, I would get so excited for a cd release like I was a kid on Christmas. Now, I just feel more jaded and the same excitement level just isn't there. Again, just a thought. I still think Neighborhoods was decent, and DED was awesome tho.
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19897
brian. wrote:
Blink-Bournemouth wrote:I think Untitled eclipses anything they have ever done and likely will ever do.


Yeah, I agree. I will stand by this statement forever. That record was just the perfect mix, everything came together. Not only is that my favorite blink record, it's one of my favorite records of all time.


But as long as we're talking about opinions, Untitled was a fucking masterpiece. My favorite album of all time. And plus, you don't have UnTITled without a tit, so that's good.
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#19899
I bought the Mark Tom and Travis show when I was 14 (it had just come out) and fell in love with the band. I then got Take off your pants and jacket & Enema. then Buddha, then Dude Ranch, then Untitled when it came out (I was 18 or so).

I remember not really 'getting' Untitled when it first came out. It didn't sound like Blink. But over the years it slowly became my favorite album. I think it has less to do with what era you fell in love with them, and more just your personal tastes. My albums, in order from favourite to least favourite are:

Untitled
Dude Ranch
Mark Tom & Travis Show
Take Off Your Pants & Jacket
Dogs Eating Dogs
Buddha
Neighborhoods (Sorry Neighborhoods, I wish you were higher on the list, I really wanted to love you)
Cheshire Cat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron