Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

I hope they play a couple old songs that we haven't heard in a while with the acoustic sets. I'm guessing Reckless Abandon and Boxing Day are a constant, but they will change the middle song up. In the european tour we go All of This, Waggy, Dick Lips, Wasting Time, GATC. Would love to hear Apple Shampoo or Lemmings.
Last edited by MexicanPirate on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Tom and Travis are my brothers and I'd do anything for those guys. When all of this is said and done, we'll all be together looking back going 'fuck, we made it'."
– Mark, UC2

"So many other bands just fight, they don't get along and hate each other, but when things come down the road that are hard and gnarly... It's just us three, I feel like it doesn't matter, I feel like we can do anything"
– Tom, UC2

What went wrong?

espinozac wrote:They sound so good here, I can honestly say Tom's singing isn't disappointing, whatsoever. Watching these new live videos, I keep forgetting Travis isn't the one on the drums! I wanna see them live so bad now.

I don't know, I don't think its weird hat you're forgetting Travis, he's always been in that position with me; out of all 3 members he is the only one that can be easily replaced. I'm probably alone in this but I don't feel like Travis is that essential. That may stem from me being a Blink fan before he joined but I really wouldn't be bothered if he were replaced... Blink would be so much better with a more straight forward drummer. Given the opportunity both Mark and Tom get over creative and the music suffers. I kind of wish they had a less-abled drummer... truth is Travis is a great drummer but he is more flash than anything there are a million faster drummers, they may be less flashy but I'm a firm believer that less is more when it comes to drums. That's just me though, maybe I'm a bit of a Scott nostalgic.

Oh, Baby... Good Times!

espinozac wrote:They sound so good here, I can honestly say Tom's singing isn't disappointing, whatsoever. Watching these new live videos, I keep forgetting Travis isn't the one on the drums! I wanna see them live so bad now.

I definitely agree that it sounds great overall, but I actually think the lack of travis is really noticeable. I feel like if you watch a performance with travis right before you listen to these new videos, you can tell the difference big time.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Wrecked Him wrote:

I don't know, I don't think its weird hat you're forgetting Travis, he's always been in that position with me; out of all 3 members he is the only one that can be easily replaced. I'm probably alone in this but I don't feel like Travis is that essential. That may stem from me being a Blink fan before he joined but I really wouldn't be bothered if he were replaced... Blink would be so much better with a more straight forward drummer. Given the opportunity both Mark and Tom get over creative and the music suffers. I kind of wish they had a less-abled drummer... truth is Travis is a great drummer but he is more flash than anything there are a million faster drummers, they may be less flashy but I'm a firm believer that less is more when it comes to drums. That's just me though, maybe I'm a bit of a Scott nostalgic.

I completely disagree with this. Live maybe he can be replaced but even then you can notice the difference. The real difference, in studio, is where he really shines. His unique drum beats are what led to songs like I Miss You. I honestly couldn't see him being replaced and blink being the same. Even if he was never in the band at all.

Wrecked Him wrote:The songs were better, mark and tom were both better song-writers before Travis took bigger roles in the songs.

That's a bit of a blanket statement don't you think?

"Tom and Travis are my brothers and I'd do anything for those guys. When all of this is said and done, we'll all be together looking back going 'fuck, we made it'."
– Mark, UC2

"So many other bands just fight, they don't get along and hate each other, but when things come down the road that are hard and gnarly... It's just us three, I feel like it doesn't matter, I feel like we can do anything"
– Tom, UC2

What went wrong?

restingbird wrote:
Wrecked Him wrote:

I completely disagree with this. Live maybe he can be replaced but even then you can notice the difference. The real difference, in studio, is where he really shines. His unique drum beats are what led to songs like I Miss You. I honestly couldn't see him being replaced and blink being the same. Even if he was never in the band at all.

Yea I don't know how anyone can say Travis doesn't make blink 50x better. I understand that Scott had a certain style of drumming and we all liked the straight forward style of early blink. but if you're a fan of anything after Dude Ranch you just gotta appreciate Travis's influence. I miss you is a good example, but even earlier than that, I think Adam's Song is a great example of a song that wouldn't be the same without Travis (the beat during the verses is so fucking creative). Plus basically all of Untiled. Plus, I don't think you can blame Travis for Mark and Tom getting overcreative (hi AVA).

Think about it this way. Travis could easily play anything that someone like Scott could play, but Scott could never play/create in studio what Travis does. If you listen to Enema, the style is basically the same as Dude Ranch but Travis just played that style better and more creative than anyone else.

All that said, I totally agree that live it doesn't make as much of a different. Pretty hard to notice the nuances of the drumming when you're dancing your ass off ;p

Travis is the only innovator in the group, these days. Tom keeps recycling riffs and song ideas and Mark seems to be making the same song over and over again. Even though it may be flashy, Travis coming up with different fills and arrangements with every song. If you listen to early blink, Scott's drumming doesn't vary much song to song. If Scott had stayed with the band, their sound would have gotten stale.

dearyou182 wrote:Travis is the only innovator in the group, these days. Tom keeps recycling riffs and song ideas and Mark seems to be making the same song over and over again. Even though it may be flashy, Travis coming up with different fills and arrangements with every song. If you listen to early blink, Scott's drumming doesn't vary much song to song. If Scott had stayed with the band, their sound would have gotten stale.
Agreed! And +44 & AVA wold of never happened and Blink-182 wold of never have sounded the way they do now.

dearyou182 wrote:Travis is the only innovator in the group, these days. Tom keeps recycling riffs and song ideas and Mark seems to be making the same song over and over again. Even though it may be flashy, Travis coming up with different fills and arrangements with every song. If you listen to early blink, Scott's drumming doesn't vary much song to song. If Scott had stayed with the band, their sound would have gotten stale.

This

Their sound is stale now, Frisky, what's your point?

Again, I'm not saying that Travis isn't a good drummer, I'm just saying that Mark and Tom both rely too much on him. I am willing to bet that if Mark and Tom lost Travis and they decided to go on with Blink with another drummer the songs would be so much better written. The problem isn't that Travis doesn't work for the band its that he works too well and Mark and Tom aren't on that same level. Travis has the skill to branch out, Mark and Tom don't. Plus 44, Box Car and AVA's first (and only album that should count) are just different variations of Blink. They aren't vastly different musically....

wait, I have to address something first 1) if you think Enema and Dude Ranch are the same thing and the only difference is Travis then you aren't allowed an opinion. 2) Adam's Song sucks... its a lame song about a kid who killed himself and being homesick on tour. Yes, I get the relation, we were all deep and sad teenagers... we grow up, trust me, you stop relating and the songs stops making sense. 3) I still think Untitled was shit... sue me.

Back to what I was saying. It seems to me that the focus on the songs stopped being the song its self and instead turned into be creative and viable artist and the songs suffer because of it. That's why the majority of you guys end up having conversations about their hair and clothes, you've got nothing else to talk about... yeah, they were a great band and yes they are fully capable of writing fantastic songs but they aren't doing that. I'm not saying untitled was all bad songs, I just personally didn't care for the direction but I didn't discover blink with untitled, I discovered them before Dude Ranch, I've got some history with them and that history and nostalgia is hard to swallow and go in a new direction but I digress... what I'm saying is that Mark and Tom decided that the way to grow up is through being creative musically and they used Travis as the main tool in that instead of sitting down and thinking... maybe we just shouldn't write songs teenagers are the sole relation to... lyrically I think blink is spot on these days... well not Mark, he suitable metaphors like its going out of style and for a guy who wanted to be an English teacher he has been really disappointing these last few years.... anyway, like I said, spot on lyrically for the most part (for those of you who want to throw the "ice is cold" shit in my face, I said for the most part). Their problem is that musically they are a mess and a lot of that stems from Travis. They are basing songs around beats that Travis builds and while, yes, that would be great for a few songs doing it for most everything turns it into a muddled shit fest. Tom and Mark just don't have the skill to write like that, Travis does but there is a reason drummers keep beat and not lead the song, they keep it all tight and coherent and when you change that dynamic without the skills to back it up you get... well, you get neighborhoods and DED. Don't get me wrong, I liked both releases but they were no where close to what they should have or could have been... the songs were all over the place. I'm not saying Travis needs to be replaced or isn't a viable part of blink (although I don't care either way) I'm just saying that if circumstances were to work out in favor of a more straight forward drumming style (via Travis or another drummer) I think you would see a vastly improved song writing capability and some of the best material the band has produced in more than a decade. The songs are mediocre now, not bad but not great either. Like I said though. that's just my two sense and I figured that I'd at least try and get the conversation going in a different direction other than their clothes and hair... weirdos...

Also, live is just as important if not more so than studio... you can do anything in a studio... you have to be able to back it up live. That's one thing Travis really has going for him, he's better live than in the studio.
Last edited by Wrecked Him on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, Baby... Good Times!

Also, you guys put way too much emphasis on drum beats... its weird. The early blink style didn't vary much drum wise because it didn't have to. The songs stood out on their own merit and weren't reduced to gimmicky "creative process" flashy bullshit. Which is something they touch on now but don't hold true to. You know what song Travis killed on recently? Boxing Day. It was simple and it worked with the song and made it better. Effective. It made the music a whole and not separate parts coming together. That's my point, yes Travis is great but he needs to learn to reign it in as well. You know who is an amazing guitarist but can't write a decent song to save his life? Steve Vai. He gets too flashy and the music suffers, Travis tends to be the Steve Vai of drums a lot of times nowadays. Just because you can do this or add that doesn't mean you should. Sometimes less is more. Kurt Cobain could barely even play guitar but he wrote some amazing songs. The same goes for Tom as well, haha. Tone down the drums and you tone down the rest of the band and the songs start working better dynamically and structurally and that is the basis for every good song, the play on emotional dynamics and structure.

Same goes for Tom too... the guy needs to get off Space's dick and come back down to Earth for a while. Synth and delay are great until you use them for every god damn thing... I'm not even talking about using them in ways that vary... its literally the. same. god. damn. noises and settings. In fact the only one who hasn't lost their mind musically is Mark but god help the man if he can ever manage to write a decent song lyrically with out trying to sound like fucking Edgar Allen Poe again. I guess what I'm saying, again, is the whole band needs to take it down a notch and build itself up from the basics again. Untitled worked because they were at that point musically, they built up to it... now they are just throwing shit at microphones and computers while Travis changes directions 4 times and adds 9 snare hits, 5 tom hits and at least 3 and a half cymbals hits.... not because it makes the song better but because he has the fucking skill to do so and he's the only one in the band who is capable of that kind of talent so mark and tom are gonna let him 'cause fuck it he can actually play and they don't want to be known as the band who wrote songs a 7 year old can play anymore.... ::phew run on sentence:: all the while they're still hoping to stumble upon another Feeling This.

Okay, I'm done... I feel better... you guys go ahead and tell me all the ways I'm wrong. I'm gonna crash. The old man rant is done.

Yea, Tom, that is a wall of text, good boy.

Oh, Baby... Good Times!