Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

I don't have my cd on me (in my friend's car) to check, but isn't the lyrics "we fuck and fight like vagabonds, we dance like fucking animals"? I genuinely like that, as I view it as Tom making fun of how shitty people became.

I think that's a cool outlook and interpretation of how people act. Then he writes about rude people, punks, police cars, guns, riots, etc. and how basically that's how kids want it to be, just for fun. Sort of like "fuck it, unfortunately that's what it came to".

I'm not a fan of the stuttering and the chorus is boring, but I still like the simplicity of the song.

Tyler44 wrote:I don't have my cd on me (in my friend's car) to check, but isn't the lyrics "we fuck and fight like vagabonds, we dance like fucking animals"? I genuinely like that, as I view it as Tom making fun of how shitty people became.

Yeah it's fuck and fight...I actually like the lyrics a bit, but the chorus is fucking terrible and I hate that that chorus is in a blink song because I think it's the only part of a blink song I genuinely dislike lol. The bass solo and the synth are cool as well, but I don't like the rest of the instrumentation in the song. Definitely one of the only blink songs I'm not too fond of.
Last edited by Tyler on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler44 wrote:I don't have my cd on me (in my friend's car) to check, but isn't the lyrics "we fuck and fight like vagabonds, we dance like fucking animals"? I genuinely like that, as I view it as Tom making fun of how shitty people became.

I think that's a cool outlook and interpretation of how people act. Then he writes about rude people, punks, police cars, guns, riots, etc. and how basically that's how kids want it to be, just for fun. Sort of like "fuck it, unfortunately that's what it came to".

I'm not a fan of the stuttering and the chorus is boring, but I still like the simplicity of the song.

FINALLY, someone who I agree with!
'fuck and fight like vagabonds' is correct btw.
And I like the ironic/nostalgic vibe the lyrics give off, there's something really cool about that. The chorus is bland, but it's still a great song.

It's just another version of Tom trying to relate to, or mention kids in his music. he started doing it with AVA. and it's just kind of weird. the dudes in his 30s, if he wants to be respected as a 'serious' musician now, he should stop pandering to a younger fan base. this whole thing of him thinking 'blink is eternal youth' could almost justify it, but ultimately he does it with AVA too, so I'm not sure what the hell he thinks he's doing.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

But I don't see it as pandering in that particular song. In my opinion the lyrics are kind've making fun of that idealised view of the music scene, while also celebrating it.
And I don't know about him pandering to the younger audience in AVA much, but in Blink it can get on my nerves. He's older now, he has kids. I think he almost feels like he has to get up on stage, make dick jokes and talk shit. I'm sure he enjoys it, but sometimes it can feel a little forced.

Wow, I said he a lot in that last paragraph.

I really like the lyrics to This is Home, I just don't think the delivery is very good.

It's meant to be a nostalgic tune rather than this 'eternal youth' thing. I just reckon it would have been more effective if they ditched the synth, slammed some powerchords in there behind the riff and punched up the mix. Ditched the riff in the verse and made a cool bass guitar/kickdrum rhythmic relation, before bringing in the a better chorus.

I still find myself singing along, but yeah it could be so much better, it just needed to convey the message a bit more and it would have if the track was grittier and bigger.
WE'RE NOT SAD ANYMORE

My music blog and stuff

Most recent post: 10 of the Best Songs About Getting Fucked Up

http://werenotsadanymore.wordpress.com

KayTheMagnificent wrote:It's just another version of Tom trying to relate to, or mention kids in his music. he started doing it with AVA. and it's just kind of weird. the dudes in his 30s, if he wants to be respected as a 'serious' musician now, he should stop pandering to a younger fan base. this whole thing of him thinking 'blink is eternal youth' could almost justify it, but ultimately he does it with AVA too, so I'm not sure what the hell he thinks he's doing.

That is my problem with Tom right now, he just cannot take himself serious enough to write as an adult. That's where Neighborhoods fell short. But I don't think Tom catering to the youth was the reason LOVE II lyrically sucked, because in honesty, it just sucked overall.

Love is Dangerous, Even if She Falls, After Midnight...think about it. What girl are they singing about now, their wives? They just don't feel like honest lyrics.

That's usually my problem with any band. If I don't sense honest/emotional lyrics, it's a turn off. That's why I love The Wonder Years.

Tyler44 wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:It's just another version of Tom trying to relate to, or mention kids in his music. he started doing it with AVA. and it's just kind of weird. the dudes in his 30s, if he wants to be respected as a 'serious' musician now, he should stop pandering to a younger fan base. this whole thing of him thinking 'blink is eternal youth' could almost justify it, but ultimately he does it with AVA too, so I'm not sure what the hell he thinks he's doing.

That is my problem with Tom right now, he just cannot take himself serious enough to write as an adult. That's where Neighborhoods fell short. But I don't think Tom catering to the youth was the reason LOVE II lyrically sucked, because in honesty, it just sucked overall.

Love is Dangerous, Even if She Falls, After Midnight...think about it. What girl are they singing about now, their wives? They just don't feel like honest lyrics.

That's usually my problem with any band. If I don't sense honest/emotional lyrics, it's a turn off. That's why I love The Wonder Years.

Oh god you're one of them...

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

geordyplaysguitar wrote:
Tyler44 wrote:

Let me ask you this first, why do you think they suck? Is it because they're apparently the new sensation so you don't want to like them because you think their fans are all ignorant assholes because they claim "they found out about them first"? Please answer, I'm curious.

Tyler44 wrote:

Who says they have to be singing about things in their lives right now? A few multi-millionaires aren't going to relate to a lot of kids if they're singing about 'now'

I will say though, Tom reads so many damn books, and he has so many crazy opinions, I do think he can expand much further than what he's always written about. He kind of tries with AVA, but he just ends up talking about stars in every other song.

iamthezodiac wrote:Who says they have to be singing about things in their lives right now? A few multi-millionaires aren't going to relate to a lot of kids if they're singing about 'now'

I will say though, Tom reads so many damn books, and he has so many crazy opinions, I do think he can expand much further than what he's always written about. He kind of tries with AVA, but he just ends up talking about stars in every other song.

Fighting the Gravity, MH Song, Heart's All Gone. When I hear these, I sense honest lyrics. They don't seem to be half-hearted and thrown together lyrics, they're honest. That's what I like, but I don't sense it with Tom.

And on your second point, I completely agree with what you want, because I do as well. Our best chance is if he creates the next AVA record as Strange Times. There's hope.

geordyplaysguitar wrote:
Tyler44 wrote:

What exactly is wrong with the wonder years? They have meaningful REAL lyrics, and are a catchy pop punk band. If you don't like them because stupid hipsters on tumblr like them, then hate the hipsters, not the band.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

The Wonder Years were decent on their first album. Then they got horrible when Soupy got all "I'm not sad anymore" and became an annoying, arrogant, preachy asshole that pretends he's the Jesus of pop-punk. His voice is annoying as hell and his lyrics aren't that good either. "I woke up today and put all my shit in boxes,
It's 8 am so I'm glad I wasn't out late." "I've been drowning my sorrows in Lucky Charms and soy milk." And I and a bunch of people I know have met him so don't tell me, "Oh you don't know he's preachy and blah blah blah." I had to watch their set and he was worse than AVA Tom.

And yeah to add to all that, their fans are the worst:
Spoiler: show

Just my opinion. I think The Wonder Years are the worst band in pop-punk besides Man Overboard.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

iamthezodiac wrote:Who says they have to be singing about things in their lives right now? A few multi-millionaires aren't going to relate to a lot of kids if they're singing about 'now'

Well that's the problem, isn't it? They feel like they need to relate to a bunch of teens, especially Tom. I know they used to be a crucial pop punk band, but it's been over ten years since then.
Just write about whatever it is you feel right now, and if the fanbase doesn't approve, get a new one.