Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

To my surprise im not suffering at all. I've accepted blinks fate and they've have released enough good stuff to keep me going for a while and luckily Tom still puts out good stuff every now and then.

As for the guitars on this album, this has been discussed a million times here before. Just scroll back a few pages. The guitars, like the entire album, are an abomination.

I agree that the guitar work on untitled is, for the most part, limited. it's still got more going for it than the guitar work in California. the untitled guitars are heavier even when they're simple - their use it quite effective. in California it's just paint-by-numbers 3 chord pop punk with the same riff all the way through the record. You should not have the exact same riff on 3+ songs (Bored To Death, HISALP, San Diego. Pretty sure I'm missing more examples too) on the same album.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Elevator wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:It's fun watching people suffering with blink as the band they no longer like because that's how it's been for me since 2003. Now you just have to suffer for 13 years until I can finally be satisfied. SUFFER!!!!.

The activity of this forum speaks volumes about how many people give a flying fuck about California. Enjoy your "victory lap."

Oh, I am. I'm doing more than one victory lap. I'm doing a victory marathon.

I guess the "limited" use of guitars doesn't really bother me when it sounds good. As a fan of punk, I never really cared about the complexity of insane chord progressions (even though I enjoy it when it happens ... when it's done well). Enema of the State is a perfect example. Every song was almost literally the same thing. But it didn't matter. What mattered were the vocals. That's what made blink shine. Guitar-wise, there were only little licks here and there, but barely. They were just little things you would enjoy. Actually, I can barely listen to TOYPAJ anymore because it just feels like a knock-off Enema, which it is. But at the time it came out, I didn't care. But now the guitars are just .... trying way too hard. It's like ... oh man! I'm doing some form of playing that's not a chord!! They just stuck out like a sore thumb. Meanwhile, self-titled had nothing. I just fell asleep during many of the songs.

Plus, blink has always suffered from a lack of bass. And now the bass is in the forefront. I'll gladly take the bass over guitars any day when it comes to blink. It's a great change.

I guess people really liked that "Ghosts on the Dance Floor" type of playing. Gah. I will take basic chugs over that every day of the week ....

If it's only the chord progressions that bother you, then that's weird .... because .... blink has always been a three-chord band ....
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I guess people really liked that "Ghosts on the Dance Floor" type of playing. Gah. I will take basic chugs over that every day of the week ....

Ghosts On The Dance Floor is alone a better song than the entirety of California.

Tom farting into a bucket is a better sound than California.

I've unfollowed blink on all social media, and have no intentions of supporting them any further. The thrill is gone. The band is dead.

twitter

Elevator wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I guess people really liked that "Ghosts on the Dance Floor" type of playing. Gah. I will take basic chugs over that every day of the week ....

I've unfollowed blink on all social media, and have no intentions of supporting them any further. The thrill is gone. The band is dead.

But... you're still going to deliver the news, right? :scared:
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

And she said... wrote:
Elevator wrote:

But... you're still going to deliver the news, right? :scared:

Not likely. Unless Tom rejoins the band.

twitter

Elevator wrote:

Ghosts On The Dance Floor is alone a better song than the entirety of California.

Tom farting into a bucket is a better sound than California.

Yet you are still on a blink fan fourm to discuss blink ....

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

I still enjoy California. Left Alone is a high quality Blink song and I like a lot of the verses on the other songs (BTD, Sober, No Future). But if i were to compare California to Neighborhoods, i would say that Neighborhoods is better. The thing with Neighborhoods is that, while it has super low lows (This is home, MH), it also has super high highs (GOTDF, Up All Night, Snake Charmer). Whereas California as a whole is just sort of average and bland. I would rather listen to an album that has a few really good songs instead of an album that is just average the whole way through.

Let's hear it for not wiping!