Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

Pretty sure its a deluxe edition being released christmas time. My prediction is they'll round the track listing out to 20 tracks, so only 4 extra and one of those will be Hey I'm Sorry. so it'll be 3 more songs, ones they wrote with Feldmann, which'll be just as bad as the others.

Also side note I wouldn't like this album by any other band either, but blink is basically the only pop punk I like at this point. It's a lot harder to satisfy the fans that are near or in their 30s - but when the dudes themselves are in their 40s you'd think they wouldn't want to write music for kids, but thats just me.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

For me, California went down exactly as I expected. I jammed it a lot after it came out, because I always get excited when blink (or 2/3rd of blink) release new music. Enjoyed it for like a few weeks, then it started to wear down and bore me. Now when I listen to it, with a couple of songs like Left Alone, San Diego as exceptions, it just doesn't hit me.

I didn't really know anything about Matt Skiba before he joined blink, I'll admit. But I remember a lot of people here expected him to replace Tom's role as being the musically adventurous "experimental" songwriter. I already feared back then that this wouldn't be the case, because it seemed obvious to me that besides maybe some personal frustration the breakup between Tom and the rest of the band mostly came about through artistic differences. Tom wanted to push and advance the band still, without any regard for sales or popularity, Mark and Travis didn't and now seem to be happy to just coast along with whatever the grand public expects from them turning the band more and more into a nostalgia act (this She's Out of Her Mind-video being the latest example of that). Not judging either one's choices, cause it just so happens that every great popular rock band reaches a certain point after 20+ years of existing that it becomes hard to be creatively relevant. The choice to let that ambition go saddens me somewhat (it's that much overlooked aspect of Blink that I always admired) , but is also at the sametime understandable for me.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

Not to "Actually..." you too badly, but I don't think Matt has ever been considered an experimental or overly creative songwriter. Alkaline Trio's style has definitely changed over the years, but not to the point where they sounded like a different band or where the songs were becoming grandiose or complex or anything like that. Matt is actually a very limited guitarist, as most Alkaline Trio songs are pure power chords, especially now, or just a lot of flying octaves as in the past. I think Matt's strength is his tunefulness and his sense of aesthetic and "vibe," for lack of a better word. I was hoping he would bring his dark, sick sense of humor, his songwriting prowess, and his growling voice (that is REALLY only featured prominently on the chorus of Left Alone). Maybe he'll feel more comfortable inserting his personal style on the next album, if there is one.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Yeah I was disappointed by the lack of Skiba's darker influence, especially lyrically. but he's not exactly a great guitarist. neither is Tom though so it makes sense for him to fit in that way.

So blink are playing download festival in france, which means they're probably doing download in the UK too. if they're only doing festivals I've decided I'm definitely not going. I'd never go to download in a million years and I'm not spending upwards of £200 just to see blink play once, especially at this point in their career.

My Music

Kay wrote:Yeah I was disappointed by the lack of Skiba's darker influence, especially lyrically. but he's not exactly a great guitarist. neither is Tom though so it makes sense for him to fit in that way.

So blink are playing download festival in france, which means they're probably doing download in the UK too. if they're only doing festivals I've decided I'm definitely not going. I'd never go to download in a million years and I'm not spending upwards of £200 just to see blink play once, especially at this point in their career.

Shows aren't even that great, so I would heartily pass.

twitter

Maybe a tour announcement, it seems the most logical, but I still remember how long they waited till they announced the tour dates for the US tour. It was like 2 months before the tour.

So for some odd reason my mind keeps latching on to the idea they would follow a similar pattern here.

Im hoping for announcement of a deluxe album or better yet just an EP. With pre-Feldy goodness.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Maybe a tour announcement, it seems the most logical, but I still remember how long they waited till they announced the tour dates for the US tour. It was like 2 months before the tour.

So for some odd reason my mind keeps latching on to the idea they would follow a similar pattern here.

Im hoping for announcement of a deluxe album or better yet just an EP. With pre-Feldy goodness.

The difference is the europe tour will mostly consist of festivals, so the announcements will be months and months in advance, also with Travis having to spend 3 or 4 weeks boating over I imagine the plans are massively ahead of the game to make sure the expense of travel is worth it. I mean, when they tour the US it's all by bus so it's a lot less costly than overseas.

They would definitely announce a europe tour with a lot of advance, pretty sure they did last time too.

As for pre-feldy material I 100% don't think we'll ever hear that stuff, they think Feldmann has the midas touch so I imagine most of that stuff has been trashed or left to rot on a hard drive.

My Music

Kay wrote:a little weird, not what I expected.
The first show of the tour is literally a 20 minute train journey from my house, and I still don't know if I can be bothered.

Just curious: if they disbanded tomorrow, would you regret never seeing them? I know situations are completely different with the lineup change and all of that. I remember the 05 breakup and being distraught about never seeing them live again. Saw them a bunch now.

The cool part about this time around was the hype surrounding the new album. My tour dates were festivals before the actual tour so the hype was top
notch and the energy of crowd and band was great. I could tell by the end of the actual tour that the energy was somewhat fading after this album had been released for a while. I wonder how that will carry into next year.