Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

"We are two weeks in to practice and he’s killing it. There’s harmonies that have never been sung. He’s actually playing the guitar instead of just Pro Tools. It’s just fresh blood and having someone that’s motivated and stoked to be there makes a world of difference. In general, Skiba has a really charming voice and it couldn’t be a better fit."

this is everything i think most of us anticipated. i can't believe all of this stuff is finally being said by the band. they're excited again and it's got me excited.

4thekids wrote:"We are two weeks in to practice and he’s killing it. There’s harmonies that have never been sung. He’s actually playing the guitar instead of just Pro Tools. It’s just fresh blood and having someone that’s motivated and stoked to be there makes a world of difference. In general, Skiba has a really charming voice and it couldn’t be a better fit."

this is everything i think most of us anticipated. i can't believe all of this stuff is finally being said by the band. they're excited again and it's got me excited.

That's hilarious. He basically just called out Tom for having a shitty voice (guilty) and for overdoing his shitty guitar rig (guilty).

Man, all this just makes me hate Tom more. I remember how fucking happy they were during the reunion tour. That was actual Tom again for this brief slice of time and now...now we're back.

edit: The pro tools insult was that Tom doesn't plug his guitar into the stage amps whatsoever, I don't believe. I think he plugs directly into a laptop, has a virtual amp rig in pro tools, then plugs into the PA.

twitter

c_ortiz93 wrote:
Elevator wrote:The pro tools insult was that Tom doesn't plug his guitar into the stage amps whatsoever, I don't believe. I think he plugs directly into a laptop, has a virtual amp rig in pro tools, then plugs into the PA.

Why would anybody honestly do that?

If you're using a nice loud amp on stage it can end up blasting sound into your vocal mic and drum overheads or just be too loud for the front rows of the crowd and becomes hard for the FOH guys to mix properly. Also chance of more feedback etc

Good option is what ACDC have done at times, put their amps off-stage/under the stage cranked up and mic them up down there, and put fake ones on stage. Or you can use digital stuff...in Tom's case he uses that stuff and it sounds terrible lol.

I've seen articles about a lot of metal bands moving over to really good rack-gear instead of amps these days, and no one notices...it gives them a really clean sound with no extra noise. They can have loads of presets all set up and just use a giant pedal on stage. I'm not sure why Tom's sounds so bad, I'm sure it could be great if done right

Kurt182 wrote:"We already signed a record deal and advanced a show, so we just decided to play this one without Tom and with Matt Skiba [Alkaline Trio frontman]. That’s pretty much the jist of it."

I really don't like this bit.. Because it kinda sounds like Tom will just be able to come back one day. But I'm probably just reading too far into it.

I can see what you mean but I don't think that's how he meant that statement

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

KayTheMagnificent wrote:Im happy they're possibly bringing some less heard songs and covers into the set. maybe it was Tom all along who just wanted to play the hits.

I always got the impression that, probably by fault of Tom, they never scheduled enough time to rehearse to be able to expand the playlist. When they had a show coming up, it always seemed like there was a tweet or two of a few days of rehearsals, then shows. Now when they're on full on tours on stuff I'm not sure what the excuse is. But for the past few years that's how it has seemed to me

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

That Nathan Fielder thing is hilarious. Nathan For You is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Every episode makes me laugh so fucking hard.

Also, I'm so stoked for blink-182 with Matt. I can imagine if they decide to record it'll turn out sounding pretty damn good. And like travis said, I'm excited for actual GOOD harmonies and GOOD guitar tone.

Tom's guitar tone was literally some of the worst I've ever heard. It was so thin and super treble-y. Sucked butts.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

After the initial shock of blowing close to 1000 bucks of savings to make the trip out, I'm starting to get super excited for this show. I do hope playing with Matt is as good as they're hyping it up to be haha. :D
I saw you again
I know you fucked him again
Can you comfort yourself with this sense of revenge?
Are you leaving me here with the taste of the end?

Yah, this is going to be a useless post because I don't feel like reading it again, but when Travis was talking about good harmonies, the way I read it was that Skiba wasn't just singing them well or more on pitch than Tom, but he was creating more intricate, more difficult harmonies than normal thirds etc.

This is really, really exciting.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music