Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24502
Yeah I'm not just gonna sit here and think it's a fine and dandy. That's pretty half assed in my mind. If he puts 100% effort into the next blink thing, then good. But he's coming off as if this is something he's required/somewhat pressured to do. I think we've all been waiting to hear it but now we finally understand that blink will not ever be Tom's #1 priority in his life.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24503
Dookie wrote:Yeah I'm not just gonna sit here and think it's a fine and dandy. That's pretty half assed in my mind. If he puts 100% effort into the next blink thing, then good. But he's coming off as if this is something he's required/somewhat pressured to do. I think we've all been waiting to hear it but now we finally understand that blink will not ever be Tom's #1 priority in his life.


Tough shit man. It's been that way since they reunited.
Image


twitter

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24504
Elevator wrote:
Dookie wrote:Yeah I'm not just gonna sit here and think it's a fine and dandy. That's pretty half assed in my mind. If he puts 100% effort into the next blink thing, then good. But he's coming off as if this is something he's required/somewhat pressured to do. I think we've all been waiting to hear it but now we finally understand that blink will not ever be Tom's #1 priority in his life.


Tough shit man. It's been that way since they reunited.


Yeah, a couple of years ago he said in an interview that if someone were to put a gun to his head and make him decide between blink or AvA, he'd choose AvA. So this is nothing new, really.
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24508
I agree that that's just the way it is, but my big frustration is WHY. I just wish he'd look at it like this: AVA gives him a chance to do something awesome that's his vision exclusively, and blink gives him a chance to do something awesome where he gets to collaborate. I love Tom, but his ego truly is of epic proportions. It's like he can't see the value of the push and pull within blink and discounts their legacy. That or he sees the value/understands the legacy, but is too self-centered to put his all in it at this point. I obviously don't know the guy personally, but as a musician this is the reality of how he comes off in interviews. Saying all that, I think Dreamwalker is his best effort since untitled, and all my complaints really won't matter if blink can put out a product of similar ambition/quality/care, which is the way it seems to be going with the house plans.
Image

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24509
Elevator wrote:
You’ve said Blink have found a house where you’re going to start recording the new album. Will this be a similar set up to [2003’s] Untitled album?
I’m not totally sure how it’s going to work but the goal is to find an area or an environment that’s different and not just a normal studio to be together as were architect the songs and inspire each other in ways that we did back in that timeframe. I think if we can pull off those few things we’ll be in really really good shape. We’ve always done what we liked, and on the Untitled record there was a lot of debate where we thought our fans wouldn’t even like it, but I think we succeeded by sticking to what we wanted to do, and it turned out to be the one that the fans like the most.


This is the more important quote. Tom sounds like he's going into blink with a relatively clean slate and simply has no idea what to expect. BUT people will gravitate to THIS first:

I naturally write at this point in my life like Angels & Airwaves, but I really love to re-visit where I came from. I love to play Blink music. It’s enormously fun and second nature to me. It’s interesting, I just take it step by step.


1. Of course he writes like AVA, because AVA IS Tom and it's his entire being.
2. blink isn't his whole life. Get over it. Get over yourselves.
3. blink hasn't proven to be a functional, successful studio band yet, and there's no reason for Tom to be singing the praises of a yet-to-be-recorded blink album when he's got one of the best albums he's ever made out right now, and for which he's primarily promoting in the fucking interview.

Cease this madness. Tom will give his attention to blink soon and all will be well. Stop waiting for Tom to kiss blink fans asses while he's promoting a very personal non-blink affiliated endeavor.


:heart:
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24512
An interesting bit from some Ilan interview: http://www.alternati...ils-ilan-rubin/

Alright then! Moving onto Angels & Airwaves: You’ve had Blink 182 connections as far back as receiving drum lessons from Travis Barker extremely early in your career…

Yeah, when I was 10 or 11 years old! It was funny, because I hadn’t met Tom until three years ago, and I haven’t talked to Travis in a very long time. There was always a friendly yet sparse relationship between us. It would be years before bumping into each other somewhere, being like, “Oh, how’ve you been?” and having that catchup talk. Interesting thing… since joining Angels and Airwaves/joining forces with Tom, this is the most I”ve seen Travis in ten years!

So tom and travis hang out more then we all know?
Image

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24513
Chewy030 wrote:An interesting bit from some Ilan interview: http://www.alternati...ils-ilan-rubin/

Alright then! Moving onto Angels & Airwaves: You’ve had Blink 182 connections as far back as receiving drum lessons from Travis Barker extremely early in your career…

Yeah, when I was 10 or 11 years old! It was funny, because I hadn’t met Tom until three years ago, and I haven’t talked to Travis in a very long time. There was always a friendly yet sparse relationship between us. It would be years before bumping into each other somewhere, being like, “Oh, how’ve you been?” and having that catchup talk. Interesting thing… since joining Angels and Airwaves/joining forces with Tom, this is the most I”ve seen Travis in ten years!

So tom and travis hang out more then we all know?


I doubt it, ilan was around in the studio while dogs eating dogs was recorded and ilan has been to blink shows. Travis said Tom and him had dinner for the first time together alone this past year. That sounds way more accurate of their relationship.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24514
You know what, I think I'm okay with Tom having zero drive or focus with blink. and here's why -

I have really enjoyed listening to The Dream Walker, but despite actually enjoying an AVA album, I still hate the pretentiousness of the group, the lofty 'art projects' they do, and above all I dislike Tom's attitude to most things. I find it very interesting that I can enjoy the music but still flat out feel anger whenever I read an interview or just look at his dumb face.

if Tom even gave half a fuck about blink sure, they may produce an okay album, but it won't be anywhere near the potential they had after untitled. That is gone and there is no way we'll get anything close to that back. Mark is too old and self conscious, Travis should honestly invest his time and talent where he's appreciated and Tom will continue to be just a giant, self-felating douchebag.

The blink I loved no longer exists and anything they produce, whether for money or for fun, will be a shot of nostalgia at best.

And I'm kind of okay with that.
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24515
KayTheMagnificent wrote:You know what, I think I'm okay with Tom having zero drive or focus with blink. and here's why -

I have really enjoyed listening to The Dream Walker, but despite actually enjoying an AVA album, I still hate the pretentiousness of the group, the lofty 'art projects' they do, and above all I dislike Tom's attitude to most things. I find it very interesting that I can enjoy the music but still flat out feel anger whenever I read an interview or just look at his dumb face.

if Tom even gave half a fuck about blink sure, they may produce an okay album, but it won't be anywhere near the potential they had after untitled. That is gone and there is no way we'll get anything close to that back. Mark is too old and self conscious, Travis should honestly invest his time and talent where he's appreciated and Tom will continue to be just a giant, self-felating douchebag.

The blink I loved no longer exists and anything they produce, whether for money or for fun, will be a shot of nostalgia at best.

And I'm kind of okay with that.



See? We like to have fun here.
Image


twitter

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24517
KayTheMagnificent wrote:You know what, I think I'm okay with Tom having zero drive or focus with blink. and here's why -

I have really enjoyed listening to The Dream Walker, but despite actually enjoying an AVA album, I still hate the pretentiousness of the group, the lofty 'art projects' they do, and above all I dislike Tom's attitude to most things. I find it very interesting that I can enjoy the music but still flat out feel anger whenever I read an interview or just look at his dumb face.

if Tom even gave half a fuck about blink sure, they may produce an okay album, but it won't be anywhere near the potential they had after untitled. That is gone and there is no way we'll get anything close to that back. Mark is too old and self conscious, Travis should honestly invest his time and talent where he's appreciated and Tom will continue to be just a giant, self-felating douchebag.

The blink I loved no longer exists and anything they produce, whether for money or for fun, will be a shot of nostalgia at best.

And I'm kind of okay with that.

Ya, pretty much my exact feelings.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24518
Kay is right.

I think it's good that blink got back together. It probably should have been a 'last hurah' type of thing though tbh. They could have reunited for the tour and one last album to give the fans a proper ending, heal their legacy, and reconnect as friends. They chose the full-on path though, which could have been good but it still just kind of feels like a drawn out reunion. blink is still a good, fun, live band which is why they should still continue to occasionally reunite to tour but creatively they are much better with their other projects. Tom's said that blink is mostly a way for him to revisit his past, and while that doesn't speak for all three of them, everything has kind of felt like a nostalgia fest despite DED being an effort at moving forward.

My opinion is that blink only has two things left to really do:

1. Play as many shows as they'd like while they've still got it. My opinion is that it'd be cool if they manage to go to places they've never been with a lot of fans like South America, and just get as many people as possible to have the chance to see them perform.
2. Make one last album. I wouldn't even say this but they've already promised one and I don't really feel like DED is a good swan song for the band. They should spend as much time as they need to make it actually good rather than rush a bunch of mediocre albums out, which will just add to the drawn-out reunion feel of their current state.

The fact is that blink has mostly run its course. Tom is better suited for AVA (which is now producing better music than blink in a surprising turn of events), Travis is better suited for The Transplants and his many hip-hop collaborations, and Mark will probably be suited for whatever projects he takes on, though we'll have to wait and see what Nothing and Nobody sounds like.

You all know I'm right. :skull:

blink has had an excellent career and it's almost time for them to pass the torch to the newer, younger bands anyway. I'm not even sad about this.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24519
The only reason I'm sad about that is because I feel like I missed out on a huge part of blink. I got super into them during untitled and then boom, they broke up. That album took me through most of high school and then college is where I re-found them and their discography. It wasn't until then that they announced their reunion. So this huge chunk of no blink led me to wanting full out explosion of blink. So in a sense Ive been feeling like they aren't done yet because they haven't proven it to me.

Re: The blink-182 general discussion topic

#24520
When blink broke up I was almost 16. The day I found out and was in school I was so distraught people thought a family member had died. it sounds ridiculous but they were my best friend throughout my childhood, for a long time they were all I had. but ultimately it's a fucking band, it killed me then but it actually shouldn't hurt any of us anymore - because it's no longer surprising, or painful, it's just disappointing and typical.
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron