Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

My feelings on the state of blink-182 currently

I gotta say, I don't really like this new line up. I had originally thought that with the addition of Matt Skiba we'd have maybe a darker more aggressive tone to some blink songs but instead we have what's being marketed as the next 5 Seconds Of Summer which feels so damn lame. True fans see right through a lot of the dumb middle school marketing. And I'm also definitely not a fan of them bringing in other songwriters for songs. The brilliance in blink was that it had a certain vibe. And that vibe is only found when both Mark or Tom create ideas from their own heads. These mainstream pop stars writing their songs just makes it sound like everything else. California is an alright album. But man, it's the most forgettable shit ever. Its painfully average.

All in all, I'm just disappointed and, more importantly, bored. Blink's live performances used to be something I'd look forward to. Now the performances all suck and sound the same. Something has to change in order for me to care again, but I doubt it will anytime soon. Especially when Feldy is involved.

Do you guys still care?

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

Re: My feelings on the state of blink-182 currently

I still care 100%. I would prefer if blink weren't bringing in other people to write and if Feldmann was never involved, but I get really happy when I see or hear of them being mentioned in mainstream radio or news. Even with SOOHM--which I don't think should have been a single and I think is an incredibly mediocre blink song. I have no idea why.

My ideal situation would have Tom back tomorrow and going on tour with them (with or without Skiba, idgaf). That's not what's going to happen, so I'll just take the best of what we've got: a bastardized version of my favourite band playing to half their potential.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

I hadn't any expectations before they released California, so I guess I'm a lot less disappointed. I still think it has some fun tunes, but most of it is kind of generic. As far as I'm concerned the Blink that I care(d) about died the day Tom left for the second time. People thought Skiba would just casually come in and fill in the hole that Tom left. I think those people highly underestimated Tom (or overrated Skiba, either way).

If anything California prooves the unique quality of the songwriting partnership that spearheaded this band. They had a similar sense for writing catchy tunes, but each in their own way. Tom being more experimental, Mark more poppy but also constantly being open to each others ideas and willing to follow each other's creative impulses. Also their voices were just perfect contrast of each other, mark the soft lower voice Tom the high-pitched whiny voice. Skiba and Mark seem to have about the same voice, so the vocal interaction/harmonies between the two of them don't come off anywhere near as well as the vocal trade-offs between Mark and Tom. They developed that bond over the course of two decades, you can't expect someone to come in and after half a year have the same chemistry.

I don't really fault the band for anything. Maybe I think it's lame they seem to be so leaning on nostalgia and past popularity. That's all Blink is now, a nostalgia act. It's the way they're sold to the public, and its members seem to be fine with it. Maybe it's better to just embrace that role, rather than try to be or pretend to be more than it actually is (like in the time after the reunion with Tom). Again it's understandable, cause it's very hard for a rock band to stay creatively relevant over several decades. But it does sadden me somewhat. Makes me wish I had a timemachine, and fortunately with all the old records still around I kind of do.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

Blink hasn't come from Tom's and Mark's minds for years. Years. This is the first album where you can tell a "Mark" song from another singer's song (in this case, Matt). Even during blink's heyday, it was obvious (aside form who was singing in the song) what a Mark song was and what a Tom song was. That's not the case now. Each song could be sung or led by either. In other words, this is their first cohesive album to date. Hands down. Everything else has just a mesh of two different singers. While it was magical for a while, it lost its potency when it stopped being about two singers and more about one.

Also, everyone keeps on comparing this to 5 Seconds ... have you guys even heard their music? I don't think you have because it sounds NOTHING like 5 seconds.

And I'm glad that with the addition of Skiba, it didn't suddenly get dark. That was the problem when the three of them weren't together. When Travis was jamming with Matt, it sounded like Alkaline Trio. When he was jamming with Mark it sounded like plus-44. Together, it sounds like blink.

Again, looking at blink's back catalog, this album sounds more like blink.

Besides Untitled and Neighborhoods, their other albums were happy-go-lucky summer anthems.

I don't understand where you guys are coming from.

P.S. I still listen to the album all the way through. Actually, today, on my way home to and from work, I listened to the album. Still not sick of it at all.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

I don't know. The only Blink album I can really tell for each song who wrote it is Neighborhoods. No surprise, knowing how distanced and seperated they were during the writing/recording of that album. Wasn't it Mark who said one of the most important reasons for the break-up was the fact that Tom didn't want to make the time to sit down in a room together and write? Proves that before, say 2003, the majority of the songs were written together as a unit and were mostly truely indistinguishable co-products.

But you are right that the dynamic between them obviously turned sour a long time ago. I think it has become apparent over the last year or two that the biggest reason behind this was the difference in opinion about the creative course of Blink. I think, if anything, California proves that Mark (and also Travis) wanted to go back to the way Blink used to sound, feeling they had gone astray of who they were as a band. Indeed, the poppy summer teenage anthems etc. Tom wanted to push on beyond that still, feeling that the band would stop being relevant if they didn't try to progress their sound. I think Travis even confirmed all this in an interview before the release of California. Now depending which side you lean to the result can either be seen as a weak rehash of an old formula, or as a band going back to their roots and doing what they do best and what made them big and succesful. There's a thing to be said for both creative courses. I don't fault either side for the decisions they've made in this. For that I love them too much, and the music the three of them made together means too much to me to be pissed off with either one of them.

In any case it has resulted in a CD which is fun and poppy, but it is not pushing the band forward, doing new things. And I really miss that. The single thing I love(d) most about the band was the fact that they managed to mix catchy radio-friendly melodies, riffs with new creative musical ideas. For the same reason I love The Beatles so much, because they could write songs that billions connect to but at the same time also push musical/creative boundaries. To a lesser extent Mark and Tom had what Lennon-McCartney had. Clearly seperated creative/personal identities but a willingness to be open to each other and through that explore new musical concepts. California lacks this experimental factor, and that for me is the most important reason why the album didn't stick in the long run for me, and now sounds (bar a few exceptations) boring and generic as f*ck. It doesn't offer something new. It doesn't offer anything beyond what Blink had already done in the past. The absence of Tom is fundamental in this.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

I care a lot less, but I will always care a little. I don't think Californias failures have anything to do with Skiba - those live shows he did with alk3 recently were immense, and his work on My Shame Is True just outstrips everything on California - and his songs on that aren't even that great. I think they used him as a glorified stand in and let Feldy do all the work.

but yeah, I'm not happy, I don't like California, but I will always be curious about what they do, and in some way I will always follow their activity. it's ingrained in me. I'm almost 28, I've been obsessed with them for 18 years, it's not going away.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

I really wish they would let Skiba write the album. Mostly everything about California is fine. I enjoyed the summer-ness and catchiness of it. It put me in a good mood and I blasted it all summer. It was a great soundtrack for a few trips. BUT the biggest, and most brutal flaw of the album is lyrically it says nothing. There is nothing to these songs that have any lasting value via the lyrics (except maybe San Diego). Whether this is a Feldy/Mark issue or not, I really really really do not want them writing 28 songs in 30 days without any time to construct a narrative or something to sing about.

Music is about the emotional connection it has with me. The music can draw me in and get me pumped, but in the end the lyrics will be what keeps me coming back for more. I know Skiba is one hell of a songwriter and they really need to utilize his talents.

But in the end California isn't terrible to me. I'm not going to blink-182 for musical inspiration in 2016/17. They're the first band I ever heard and fell in love with and shaped my youth and growing of age. They'll always hold a special place in my heart and I'll always listen to whatever they release (and probably enjoy it). But today it's the Menzingers new album that has me dying inside in anticipation...not this 13 song deluxe album. It's Brian Fallon and Frank Tuner (opening for blink!!!!!!!!!!!) who i'd drive states to go see, not blink.

Just watched some videos from those Alk3 gigs. Holy shit Skiba sounds GREAT! Sorry for the potato quality, but HOLY SHIT he is killing it here.

I really hope that after blink does their UK tour Alkaline Trio makes another album. Or at least does a tour.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

I was at all three Alkaline Trio shows last week. The shows were incredible. I could only imagine how it felt for Skiba, going through this whirlwind two years, to be back home, with the same guys he's played with for decades, at the venue where he got his start. I'm telling you, trio has been one of my favorite bands for almost as long as blink, and i just feel like the skiba "vibe" is a strange fit for what blink is trying to do now. I was excited for skiba to bring his dark sense of humor and... almost gothic sort of vibe to blink to create something new. The bouncy summer vibe however is just strange, and I don't think skiba has been able to shine yet. Hopefully he will soon.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:I was at all three Alkaline Trio shows last week. The shows were incredible. I could only imagine how it felt for Skiba, going through this whirlwind two years, to be back home, with the same guys he's played with for decades, at the venue where he got his start. I'm telling you, trio has been one of my favorite bands for almost as long as blink, and i just feel like the skiba "vibe" is a strange fit for what blink is trying to do now. I was excited for skiba to bring his dark sense of humor and... almost gothic sort of vibe to blink to create something new. The bouncy summer vibe however is just strange, and I don't think skiba has been able to shine yet. Hopefully he will soon.

Was his voice as intense and amazing as the above video made it sound? Like for real without the date I would have assumed that video came out of the 90s/early 2000s.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

Bruh I forgot im seeing them this june, or july, I dont even know. a friend bought my ticket cuz I wasnt sure if i wanted to go.

When I look at marks tweets and his snaps I just cringe. Excuse my words but he's a fucking nerd. Seems like nothing is left of that edgy cool guy.

I feel like they all lost their passion for music, but still continueing because they can.

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line

gompy182 wrote:Bruh I forgot im seeing them this june, or july, I dont even know. a friend bought my ticket cuz I wasnt sure if i wanted to go.

When I look at marks tweets and his snaps I just cringe. Excuse my words but he's a fucking nerd. Seems like nothing is left of that edgy cool guy.

I feel like they all lost their passion for music, but still continueing because they can.

Lol i mean...he's always been a nerd. He wrote a song for Dude Ranch about Star Wars

Thanks to Kay for the awesome sig!

Waggy wrote:It all just feels like pandering to the middle school/high school demographic, Mark's snapchat and all. So yeah, like gompy said, it just feels like there's no more edge or will, they just do it cause they can.

I know what you mean:
"Good news, everyone! I just ate a delicious orange." - Mark Hoppus twitter.

or the even more classic:

"Hi guys it's Sunday morning and I'm going to drink some damn coffee."

yodda wrote:
Waggy wrote:It all just feels like pandering to the middle school/high school demographic, Mark's snapchat and all. So yeah, like gompy said, it just feels like there's no more edge or will, they just do it cause they can.

I know what you mean:
"Good news, everyone! I just ate a delicious orange." - Mark Hoppus twitter.

or the even more classic:

"Hi guys it's Sunday morning and I'm going to drink some damn coffee."

Like, its so god damn generic. Blehhhhh.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

I'll always be the first to say I'll take something over nothing 100% of time (unless it's Tom's Demo tapes) but...

If I have to be completely honest, it's fair to say I've lost interest in blink. I'm excited for this "deluxe" version we're supposedly getting because they seem so amped about it, but way back, after DED got released, to me, I've more been looking forward to the boost in discussion around here. Sure, new music is great, but the first time around when the reunion happened and we were all here... that was great.

At this point, after a second break-up, bringing on Feldmann (who's work I've never liked), and the contamination of blink's legacy with that wretched SOOHM video, I feel more nostalgic about the times back in 2009 with this place and all of you than the music itself.

Not to get all sentimental.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.