Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

[Song Discussion] - Anthem pt. II

The opening track of Take Off Your Pants and Jacket led by Tom. The instrumentation in the song is all around good with capable verses and a strong chorus. Lyrically this song shines as a great introduction continuing off where Enema of the State left off. In Part 1, the song discussed life on a smaller scale of being a teenager with limited role and privileges in the household. Part II is one of their few political-esque songs as it turns the view worldwide on a society decaying and kids facing the impact of adult's poor decisions (as well as adults oppressive rules).

I may as well post all of the lyrics here since all of them stand out.

Everything has fallen to pieces
Earth is dying help me Jesus
We need guidance, we've been misled
Young and hostile, but not stupid

Corporate leaders, politicians
Kids can't vote, adults elect them
Laws that rule the school and workplace
Signs that caution, sixteen's unsafe

We really need to see this through
We never wanted to be abused
We'll never give up, it's no use
If we're fucked up you're to blame

Let this train wreck burn more slowly
Kids are victims in this story
Drown our youth with useless warnings
teenage rules they're fucked and boring

Everything has fallen to pieces

Re: [Song Discussion] - Anthem pt. II

Love this song to death
It's a riff machine (there's like 4 riffs!) - pretty much the reason I got into guitar was because of this song.
The lyrics were super profound to me when I was a teenager, as well, and made me take notice more of their lyricism when I was just getting into them.
Probably their strongest opener next to Feeling This - the chorus is about as strong.
Top 10 favourite blink song for me - super song from a super band.

This song blew my face off when I first heard it. I still remember having my mom pick me up from school rather than go on the bus so we could stop by Strawberry's (remember that fucking place?) and pick up the album when it dropped. Anthem Part II never hit me as hard as Anthem, but the song is fucking great as all hell. The opening riff is iconic and then just explodes when the bass comes in, then explodes again when another guitar part comes in, and then explodes yet again when the power chords come ripping through. I love Mark's little bass embellishment right before the second verse and when Mark sings the "Ahhhhs" right before the chorus. And I just love the chugging bass in the bridge, too.

Then again, the lyrics make me cringe every time I listen to it now, so I can't really enjoy the awesomeness of the actual sound of the song anymore.

But at the time. Oh fuck. What a great song.
Last edited by Broccoli_Apocalypse on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

I adore this song. lots of people seem to take issue with the lyrics saying its aged terribly and it's really immature but I disagree. its definitely meant from the perspective of a teenager but it's this questioning "theres something not right here" approach and I love it. I related to it so much growing up, and it is definitely a blink highlight for me. I remember learning the riffs like yodda, marvelling at how awesome this song sounded considering how simple it was.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Kay wrote:I adore this song. lots of people seem to take issue with the lyrics saying its aged terribly and it's really immature but I disagree. its definitely meant from the perspective of a teenager but it's this questioning "theres something not right here" approach and I love it. I related to it so much growing up, and it is definitely a blink highlight for me. I remember learning the riffs like yodda, marvelling at how awesome this song sounded considering how simple it was.

See, I think the problem for me is that it's a "serious" teenager song. But then there's Anthem, which is just an immature teenager song. That one is much more palatable because it's not so self-righteous. It's kids saying "fuck you." But then Anthem Part II is just whiny, we deserve better crap.

16 IS unsafe. Fuck. When I was 16? Yah. Kids shouldn't vote at 16. That's insane. Lol ....
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:
Kay wrote:I adore this song. lots of people seem to take issue with the lyrics saying its aged terribly and it's really immature but I disagree. its definitely meant from the perspective of a teenager but it's this questioning "theres something not right here" approach and I love it. I related to it so much growing up, and it is definitely a blink highlight for me. I remember learning the riffs like yodda, marvelling at how awesome this song sounded considering how simple it was.

See, I think the problem for me is that it's a "serious" teenager song. But then there's Anthem, which is just an immature teenager song. That one is much more palatable because it's not so self-righteous. It's kids saying "fuck you." But then Anthem Part II is just whiny, we deserve better crap.

16 IS unsafe. Fuck. When I was 16? Yah. Kids shouldn't vote at 16. That's insane. Lol ....

yeah but its the sword edge approach isn't it? teenagers can be reckless and dangerous but with no trust, they can't prove themselves. the idea that adults have this assumed maturity and responsible attitude when in some cases it's just bullshit is just true. the "Kids can't vote, adults elect them" is a live I've always loved. it's simple and stupid but it's true - Adults elect fucking idiots, or "kids". politics is full of assholes spouting ignorance for money, it's time honoured. I loved this song as a kid for the fact that it was juvenile but also going "well who's fault is that? you're not perfect" and I loved it. still do.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!