Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

[Song Discussion] - Disaster

I'm thinking of making a series in which every so often we can discuss a random song.

It starts out with a noticeably warm and quick bass riff with some moderately paced but heavily executed drumming and alien outerspace-like synth. Added, is Tom's AVA-like guitar riff. Vocally, Tom delivers higher energy and pitch than usual (it's less of a 2012 AVA and more of a 2007 AVA, which is great). Mark's deep droning vocals, with vocals like "Disaster" and "Fall in my arms again" add, in my opinion, exactly what the song really needed.

The lyrics are kind of par for the course for a song of despair, but they have a poetic tinge to them.
My favorite lines:
"Fall comes a loaded gun / Black ties for everyone"
"Full moon on a rotten night / Eighteen and a wind came by / Not a soul around"
"Your words they will scream loud enough / Your lips they will stutter with flavor"

You can call it an AVA song (with some elements of Untitled era) with Travis Barker drums and Mark Hoppus backing vocals, but that doesn't diminish the fact that it's very good!

Rating: 4/5

Re: [Song Discussion] - Disaster

It was a song written about an apocalyptic world where people were being turned into vampires.

I love the song, but I don't think it feels like AVA or blink. It has elements of both, but it's mostly an interesting concept song. People who are overprotective of blink and despise AVA/Tom hate this song more than should be reasonable.

twitter

It's definitely true that this song is indicative of an identity crisis. In 2012, they couldn't be pop-punk teenagers forever and the formula was getting old. Tom had been informed by AVA, Untitled, Box Car and such. The direction of new Blink, before Skiba arrived, was very shaky. But it also enabled them to experiment with new concepts. It sounds like mostly a song Tom wrote, but Mark's vocal contributions for the song helped a lot nonetheless.

I've always hated this song, just down right hated it. It's so awkward and all over the place. Mark sounds half unconcious and bored and its just a bit of a mess. the only part I like is the "Hold on your breaking up" bit, and thats it.
nothing to do with it being a glorified AVA song either, I just flat out dislike it. probably as bad as "this is home" for me and its in my fond "worst blink-182 songs ever" list.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

My problem with this song is that clearly Mark dialed it in and let Tom drive. That's the whole drag of DED and Neighborhoods is that Mark basically let Tom make both records, and the few times Mark gets to shine are brilliant, but the first time his lack of giving a shit was ever noticeable was Disaster. People will point out that he only let things slide because the band was in a tenuous place and nobody wanted to give Tom justification to leave by offending his prog-y sensibilities. Blink talked all the time about their dynamic, the push-and-pull of Mark and Tom while Travis brought the x-factor, being in the same room for creative energy, etc, yet for at least two songs on DED Mark didn't give a shit about the direction of the songs nor feel like he had the power to change them, instead doing what he normally does and conceding to the stronger personality.

So critics can blame Tom all they want, he's earned it, but for as many times as Tom was ever creatively railroading or arrogantly ambitious, Mark was in equal parts a weak-minded, no balls softy who would do anything but rock the boat. DED reflects that in Disaster and Pretty Little Girl, which I'm guessing Mark didn't even touch when they were recording together. He probably emailed his portions just like Tom did in Neighborhoods.

twitter

Wait, wait, wait. What? It's a post-apocalyptic song? I DIDN'T get that at all. Maybe because I never really listened to it. If that's the case, it's truly a shame that this is what they came up with.

You may despise the band, but, fuck, just listen to The Devil Wears Prada's Zombies EP. Hell, even their Space EP.

Fuck ... now I'm saying scene bands are better than blink? Fuck me ...

I think somebody else mentioned it here, but I do like the "hold on, you're breaking up" or something. When I originally wrote this post, I was going to say that I liked the "Can you hear me now" lyric haha Oh well.

Speaking of Mark's "contribution" to the song, that YouTube video of what Bored to Death would've sounded like with Tom comes to mind, where Mark is just droning in the background. That's pretty much spot on with most of Mark's recent contributions post-reunion. And that's basically what it feels like here too.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:Wait, wait, wait. What? It's a post-apocalyptic song? I DIDN'T get that at all. Maybe because I never really listened to it. If that's the case, it's truly a shame that this is what they came up with.

You may despise the band, but, fuck, just listen to The Devil Wears Prada's Zombies EP. Hell, even their Space EP.

Fuck ... now I'm saying scene bands are better than blink? Fuck me ...

That's what I always got from it. The imagery of the lyrics is singing about spooky Halloween ghosts, zombies, skeletons, etc - the rise of the dead. The chorus is kind of enticing a girl to give in to what's about to happen before the other end of the line drops off and she's gone. Again, conceptual lyrics. I don't think blink or Tom was going for making a zombie-themed thing, but I wouldn't put Tom above wanting to do a concept record. Plus the original intention of this album was that it was to be recorded and/or released around Halloween, I believe, but blink being blink didn't end up recording until right around mid-November. Disaster was probably the song Tom had worked on first.

twitter

I remember that, actually. Completely forgot about it.

You know what? I'm going to listen to the song now. It's like you have mind control or something ha ....

Edit: I'm listening to the song now and I remember what I used to think about the lyrics. Then again, I only really paid attention to the first half of the first verse, and I remember the line about "lips stuttering" with flavor or something weird. I always used to think of the song as just a call to arms track. When he was talking about loaded guns and "black ties for everyone," I just thought of ... nothing. I don't know. It's weird.

I do have to say though that I don't like the guitars in the intro. I don't know what it is, but that same style in Ghosts on the Dance Floor. That kind of jumpy note repeated again and again.

That shit drives me crazy for some reason.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I do have to say though that I don't like the guitars in the intro. I don't know what it is, but that same style in Ghosts on the Dance Floor. That kind of jumpy note repeated again and again.

That shit drives me crazy for some reason.

The intro is bad. It's lazy.

Lots of typical Tom fluff that could've fit in blink if he wasn't so insistent on long intros and overbearing synth, but the guitar is a total Tom cop out he's done since I-Empire. I'll defend the chorus quite a bit, but as far as songs on DED it's easily the least thought through.

twitter

When it comes to copping out, I think this is where you and I start to drift. I'm fine with "copping out" if it's palm-muted, chugging guitars or chords with a little bit of flair. I like that energy. Punk is usually about copping out anyway. Just playing straight up power chords or palm-muted chugs. But that weird "typical fluff" as you call it just pisses me off. I think that's why California doesn't bother me as much. I'm fine with simple guitars as long as they have energy behind them or they're chugged. I like the sound ...
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:When it comes to copping out, I think this is where you and I start to drift. I'm fine with "copping out" if it's palm-muted, chugging guitars or chords with a little bit of flair. I like that energy. Punk is usually about copping out anyway. Just playing straight up power chords or palm-muted chugs. But that weird "typical fluff" as you call it just pisses me off. I think that's why California doesn't bother me as much. I'm fine with simple guitars as long as they have energy behind them or they're chugged. I like the sound ...

I agree again - I like staples like palm muting and slides, but in Disaster that style of DeLonge-ian playing felt forced.

twitter