Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

California (2016) vs. Neighborhoods (2011)

Between 5 years, a lot has changed. From Tom to Matt, from a heavier sound to a more catchy faster nimbler pop punk sound. Neighborhoods was stuck in the doldrums between the decline of album sales and the start of digital music, but California is getting more sales and radio play.

As far as which is better... First of all, both are good albums. They each go in a different direction, but variety is a good thing for a discography.

Neighborhoods: more experimental and creative, but a flawed execution. It was mostly a bunch of AVA tracks (with guitars added) and Mark solo songs. Backing vocals were obligatory and with little gusto. The album didn't have a cohesive identity ; it conveyed bleakness, but with anemia instead of despair. Tracks like #2-4 have problem in that they try to do the Blink 182 formula to please fans, but they have none of the energy and vitality of the older tracks. But Neighborhoods also has some really amazing things in it (Fighting the Gravity is their most unique song. Love is Dangerous and Even if She Falls make for a strong closing too.

California is more straightforward but there's no denying it has all the elements of a strong pop-punk album. The songs are catchy and they're growing on me. The chemistry between Mark and Matt, at least from a sonic perspective, feels like it's even better than ever was with Tom. Matt rises up the plate with strong vocal performances and much better guitar playing than in Neighborhoods. This album is what we all wanted in 2005 and we finally got it. I don't think this album reaches some of the heights that Neighborhood does, but it also doesn't have the lows either.

I'm going to say, as a whole, California is slightly better. This is not because I necessarily prefer the direction of California, but because the direction it went in was executed much better.

Re: California (2016) vs. Neighborhoods (2011)

Neighborhoods by 10 million.

I never ever wanted this record and completely deny it has any elements of anything resembling a good record, unless you enjoy power pop and terrible lyrics.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Elevator wrote:I hate this thread. I feel like it's setup as a weak premise to shit on Tom and remember how Neighborhoods was the forgotten AVA album or something. Maybe I'm jaded from other similar threads elsewhere.

I'm not a Tom hater or a Tom fanboy. I'm just a realist. His drive to create and experiment with new sounds throughout the band's career cannot be understated. I think Neighborhoods is a very good album. It has no shortage of good ideas or talented musicianship, and Tom did write a majority of the tracks. The problem lied within the functionality of the band. Tom's limited availability, long list of demands and poor communication resulted in a good album that could have been a great one.

It does seem like fans have grown to appreciate Neighborhoods a little bit more over time. Blink should think about the progress that was achieved in Neighborhoods when they make their next album. But right now California is the sound they needed.

Marmalade Skies wrote:
Elevator wrote:I hate this thread. I feel like it's setup as a weak premise to shit on Tom and remember how Neighborhoods was the forgotten AVA album or something. Maybe I'm jaded from other similar threads elsewhere.

I'm not a Tom hater or a Tom fanboy. I'm just a realist. His drive to create and experiment with new sounds throughout the band's career cannot be understated. I think Neighborhoods is a very good album. It has no shortage of good ideas or talented musicianship, and Tom did write a majority of the tracks. The problem lied within the functionality of the band. Tom's limited availability, long list of demands and poor communication resulted in a good album that could have been a great one.

It does seem like fans have grown to appreciate Neighborhoods a little bit more over time. Blink should think about the progress that was achieved in Neighborhoods when they make their next album. But right now California is the sound they needed.

Wasn't trying to implicate you, and if I came off as pointed, that's my politics of the band bleeding into yet another post. I overreact comprehensively when I feel like this album can't be viewed by some for merely what it is while others feel like this is ample time to dance on Tom's metaphorical grave.

Why I care so much about any of this is beyond me.

twitter

Undecided.

California lacks the willingness/desire to experiment that makes Neighborhoods so great.
Neighborhoods lacks the conciseness and catchiness that makes California so great.
Both have very good tracks on them, and some bad moments. I think maybe I'd edge to California because you can tell it was made with much more positivity than Neighborhoods, which really was a laboured segregated album that they were making because the label told them to not because they wanted to. Still Neighborhoods meant a lot for me at the time it came out, I listened to it over and over to get me through one of the more darker phases of my life. I won't forget that either.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

You see, it's not that I wish Neighborhoods never happened or something. There are still 2 or 3 standout songs from that record for me that I really like and I'll never forget where I was when I first put it on, shedding a tear of joy that the band is back. But like Travis has said before, I like it but I nitpick it. I consider it a step backwards for the band because of the terrible chemistry between them at the time.

California is a lot more focused, energetic, and even charismatic. The chemistry between the guys and Feldy shows on the record and I just find it a lot more fun to listen to, "daytime/summertime" album or not.

California for me.

Neighborhoods every time.

I don't quite understand the hate Neighborhoods gets to be honest. Some good songs on there. The new record however just isn't clicking for me. There are songs that genuinely wouldn't sound out of place on a Busted (shitty UK boyband with guitars) record. California is just really one-dimensional for me, showing a band that wanted to focus on impressing the younger fans (or fans who were young at the time and don't want change) and/or have run out of ideas. Hopefully, it is the former.

I personally want to take the stance why does there have to be a "vs" why cant we just enjoy the fact their both blink albums....

If I had a gun to my head, I'd say California. Neighborhoods felt lazy. Crappy song structure. No hooks, no catches really. I listen to the songs when the come on. But I never go out of my way to hear them. Blink doesn't play them live anymore and I can't help but feel like they too agree.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Neighborhoods felt lazy. Crappy song structure. No hooks, no catches really. I listen to the songs when the come on. But I never go out of my way to hear them. Blink doesn't play them live anymore and I can't help but feel like they too agree.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was lazy, but it definitely wasn't organic. The separate studio thing was a total vibe killer, and the few songs they did last second and together sounded obviously better. It didn't help that the band was in a very dark time for themselves. That's what fascinates me about Neighborhoods - it is such a dark, bleak album that sounds like it was made under a full moon while the band was in werewolf form.

At the time that album came out I was working alone on a 3rd shift job and coming home to an empty apartment. I was reeling from being divorced less than a year before Neighborhoods was released, and so when it came to my ears, it was exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. It's a lonely, angsty, lost album that is by no means a masterpiece nor altogether a pleasant listen. If it wasn't a blink-182 album and released under a side name as a different entity, I think people would've been more universally receptive to its dismal nature, but because it had been so long, expectations were never going to be matched.

Mark fans who loved +44 wanted Mark to be a total 50/50 on the record and maintain the quality of lyrics he mastered on that record.

Tom fans who loved AVA and Box Car wanted his anthemic, prog-y signatures and monster power riffs to get play.

TOYPAJ/Enema fans wanted a summertime fun record that they could play driving on beach.

Untitled fans wanted a return to angsty romantic maturity and experimentation.

Ultimately nobody really got what they wanted. All that stuff mixed together to make a milkshake that didn't taste like any of those things, nor a fusion of them. It was like Shadow Blink or something.

---

California isn't even a comparable record because they are so vastly different. I like California a lot, I really do, but it's not in the same scope. California is the day time where everybody's TOO happy and clearly there's some material they left on the table that felt more visceral. Neighborhoods is the night time where everybody's pretending to be happy and clearly there's turmoil beneath the surface.

twitter

Elevator wrote:
OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Neighborhoods felt lazy. Crappy song structure. No hooks, no catches really. I listen to the songs when the come on. But I never go out of my way to hear them. Blink doesn't play them live anymore and I can't help but feel like they too agree.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was lazy, but it definitely wasn't organic. The separate studio thing was a total vibe killer, and the few songs they did last second and together sounded obviously better. It didn't help that the band was in a very dark time for themselves. That's what fascinates me about Neighborhoods - it is such a dark, bleak album that sounds like it was made under a full moon while the band was in werewolf form.

At the time that album came out I was working alone on a 3rd shift job and coming home to an empty apartment. I was reeling from being divorced less than a year before Neighborhoods was released, and so when it came to my ears, it was exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. It's a lonely, angsty, lost album that is by no means a masterpiece nor altogether a pleasant listen. If it wasn't a blink-182 album and released under a side name as a different entity, I think people would've been more universally receptive to its dismal nature, but because it had been so long, expectations were never going to be matched.

Mark fans who loved +44 wanted Mark to be a total 50/50 on the record and maintain the quality of lyrics he mastered on that record.

Tom fans who loved AVA and Box Car wanted his anthemic, prog-y signatures and monster power riffs to get play.

TOYPAJ/Enema fans wanted a summertime fun record that they could play driving on beach.

Untitled fans wanted a return to angsty romantic maturity and experimentation.

Ultimately nobody really got what they wanted. All that stuff mixed together to make a milkshake that didn't taste like any of those things, nor a fusion of them. It was like Shadow Blink or something.

---

California isn't even a comparable record because they are so vastly different. I like California a lot, I really do, but it's not in the same scope. California is the day time where everybody's TOO happy and clearly there's some material they left on the table that felt more visceral. Neighborhoods is the night time where everybody's pretending to be happy and clearly there's turmoil beneath the surface.

That was really well said.

To throw back out initial point. Why do we have to compare everything. Why does it have to be a competition. I'm trying to put myself in a place where I can enjoy the whole blink catalogue. Not make it about Tom Vs Matt. or Tom Vs Mark. Scott Vs Travis. Or Alien Vs Predator. (Although clearly the Predator is the most bad-ass one)
I think each piece of the blink library has and does something special. Something so few other bands have been able to do. Let alone come back from 2 breaks ups and keep new music coming. Despite all these changes no matter what album we are talking about. It somehow still feels like blink-182 each and everytime. Which I think for most bands is something really hard to do.

I loved the alternative New Found Glory album "Coming Home". Taking it on its own it was such a cool record. Compare it to anything else New Found Glory did. It felt like whole different band. Didn't sound like New Found Glory at all. Sadly they never want back to that style.

Blink keeps bringing new music to the table. When you hear it, you know its blink. It may not rival your most fond memories of older songs. But its blink and its usually good. I'll enjoy each and every album they have put it. I wont label myself for the sake of objectification. Or somehow hoping me taking a side will get us Untitled Part 2.

Sorry lads and laddets that was a one time magical album...

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:To throw back out initial point. Why do we have to compare everything. Why does it have to be a competition. I'm trying to put myself in a place where I can enjoy the whole blink catalogue. Not make it about Tom Vs Matt. or Tom Vs Mark. Scott Vs Travis. Or Alien Vs Predator. (Although clearly the Predator is the most bad-ass one)
I think each piece of the blink library has and does something special. Something so few other bands have been able to do. Let alone come back from 2 breaks ups and keep new music coming. Despite all these changes no matter what album we are talking about. It somehow still feels like blink-182 each and everytime. Which I think for most bands is something really hard to do.

I loved the alternative New Found Glory album "Coming Home". Taking it on its own it was such a cool record. Compare it to anything else New Found Glory did. It felt like whole different band. Didn't sound like New Found Glory at all. Sadly they never want back to that style.

Predator is definitely more badass than Alien. Fuck xenomorphs.

Coming Home was the album they made Untitled style together in a house right around when they were in young families and marriage, and HEY - what do you know - it was probably their most critically well-received album. Funnily enough Not Without a Fight followed that up 3 years later while Jordan and Chad were going through divorces, their material was a bit darker in tone.

twitter

One person's awesome is another person's awful. Just because blink's name is on the album, doesn't mean anyone will like or respect the music. Few bands can go as long as blink has without having an album that divides the fanbase. In blink's case, there are multiple dividing albums. Enema was too mainstream for punk purists. Untitled was "too emo" and not pop-punk enough. Neighborhoods didn't live up to everyone's exceptions. California is too poppy/generic.

If nostalgia wasn't a huge factor, then California would be my favorite album by this band by far.

So, yah, California by a landslide. Self-titled stabbed me in the stomach with a double-edged blade, and Neighborhoods twisted the knife.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music