Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Is "California" a step forward, step backward, or status quo?

Step Forward
Total votes: 10 (24%)
Status Quo
Total votes: 17 (40%)
Step Backward
Total votes: 15 (36%)
Total votes: 42

Re: Is "California" a step forward, step backward, or status quo?

As excited as I was for this album, there wasn't really anything special or memorable from it in my opinion. That's just after one full album listen, but I think is just pretty alright.

Wayyyyyyyyyy too many "na na nas" and "whoas". Like, to the point where you're like "really? Again?"

But it's a decent album nonetheless.

I wouldn't say it's a step forward at all, nor a step backwards, just kinda exists on its own as a new thing with Skiba.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

I agree with it being on par (status quo), but like frisk say, a generally safe album. I'd give it a 3/5. It does make me excited for an EP with the songs that are more heavy and dark.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Honestly, i think its a step back. Its more consistent than neighborhoods, but I think the highs of Neighborhoods are significantly better than the highs on California. That being said, the lows are also worse...for the most part (Im looking at you California (the song)), but nonetheless this album is just okay. It feels safe, I appreciated every album in the past because they always took risks and tried to grow. This does none of that. It feels kind of shallow. Also i was really disappointed that all but maybe 2 or 3 have the same formula of mark sings first verse and matt sings second verse

On the upside, there are so many catchy songs that will for sure be stuck in my head all summer.

Thanks to Kay for the awesome sig!

Neighborhoods was just an okay album that didn't really step back or forward, in my eyes
Tonally, it was closest to the untitled record but it sounded more like a weird mish mash of +44 and poppy AVA

Where as CalIfornia seems to be trying to appeal to the blink-182 crowd who love all the hits from TOYPAJ and Enema and the whole vibe of pre-2003 blink

I wouldn't say California is going back to status quo because blink already abandoned status quo with Untitled. Even though I love TOYPAJ and Enema of the State, Untitled showed that blink had more ambition and skill than other pop punk bands who are happy to live comfortably in mediocrity and not experiment anymore (Taking Back Sunday, New Found Glory, Simple Plan).
So for that reason California definitely feels like a step backwards musically

Step forward. For Mark and Travis to finally just get back to being blink-182. It's in my top 3 blink albums. Home is Such a Lonely Place and Sober were instant blink classics to me. I felt over time that I was forcing myself to enjoy Neighnorhoods more than I actually truly did just because they were finally back. With California I found myself going wow that was actually a good song. Simply enjoying the songs. Recruiting Matt Skiba was an absolute homerun in my eyes. loved both Alkaline Trio and blink growing up so it was a match made in heaven for me.

The album exceeded my expectations. I knew I was going to enjoy it, but I really love it. I'm surprised at how much I do enjoy it, actually. It brought me back to the reason I love blink, those summers growing up and that youthful nostalgia. It's fast, it's fun, are they lyrics sometimes a little corny? Sure. Most pop punk lyrics have always been terrible. I found myself being able to just enjoy the feeling of the song and the message, and not get caught up on a line that was maybe a little corny or whatever. It's a summer pop punk record. Too many 'nah nahs' and 'whoas'? Maybe. But in the context of each song I never find them distracting.

Mark and Matt are a good writing team and they could have something special here if they keep going. The opportunity is there to make more great blink-182 albums.

I think it's important to remember that like...bands don't try to write bad songs. Mark and Travis didn't go "hey guys lets piss people off on 182online by writing a shitty album." They seemed like they were genuinely stoked to get this out to us cause they knew we were all starving after a bunch of bogus promises. Looks like they had fun writing it, Matt's been really solid live. They've done their absolute best to please everyone and I totally recognize that. The effort is finally there again. And I'm loving it. They hit this out of the park in my mind.

TLDR; I enjoy it. Lol.

I'm gonna say status quo, because I feel the overall song quality on the new album is pretty good (with some hiccups here and there) but they just played this too safe and familiar to consider calling it a step forward from something like the Untitled album.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

California is what happens when bands stop pushing themselves and trying to evolve their sound and instead try to be something they used to be. It has some really good moments but overall it just doesn't work and it lacks staying power. Many bands have tried it before and none have ever succeeded so its no shame.

Neighborhoods, for all it's flaws, still had those moments of blink pushing themselves to try new things. Overall, neighborhoods' highs are much better than california's highs, even though the latter is more consistent.

Ultimately music is a form of art and in my opinion art only works when it's made with genuine intentions, whether they be conveying certain emotions or a message (both serious and goofy or positive). Somehow, such efforts always come out sounding unique. That, to me, was a huge part of blinks identity. Every album, no matter how similar, sounded unique and different.

Listening to this album i here small parts of blink but overall i mostly hear other bands and other people. Furthermore i hear a band trying to emulate something they used to be (build this pool is probably the best example, can't believe how many people are letting that shit slide). It doesn't feel genuine. People will say: this album wasn't meant to be art, it was meant to be fun. Well, f*ck that, blink called it their best music in 13 years which it isn't. You can try to repaint the Mona Lisa and it might look nice but it will never be 'good'. Blink tried to repaint their own Mona Lisa and they did a pretty decent job here and there but it's nothing worth remembering in the long run.

Neighborhoods wins.

Built This Pool is genuine in the fact that Mark wrote it genuinely and played it for people for a number of years. The disingenuous part comes from Feldman hearing it and going, "Holy fuck! We need to produce the shit out of this and release it!"

Ultimately I'm kinda glad he did, because it's a hilarious song that we wouldn't get to hear as part of a live show without Fledman doing that.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.