Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

Elevator wrote:Indeed. I'm sick inside that I'm basically over them until Tom's back. I'll still listen and keep some interest, but on the whole I have no love for this band anymore. They're just another band. Green Day's new stuff sounds so fucking awful that I'm losing my two main bands within months of each other. They're just shit now and I'm running out of love and patience for them to recapture what made me a fan. Those days may just be gone.

I think this record is WAAAAAAY better than untitled. Hands down. There's no part of it that pisses me off. People who didn't care for the band before now love them because they're no longer in that weird blink "niche." They're more accessible. Mainly because Tom's annoying singing style is gone. It's a more cohesive record.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Lol .... if he would just stop singing that post-untitled style. Even though that record bugs the fuck out of me, at least he still sounded good. He still sounded like Tom. Now it's just weird. Even if he came back, actually shared shit and played guitar like how he used to, if he sung in his new voice, it would just ruin everything.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I think this record is WAAAAAAY better than untitled. Hands down. There's no part of it that pisses me off. People who didn't care for the band before now love them because they're no longer in that weird blink "niche." They're more accessible. Mainly because Tom's annoying singing style is gone. It's a more cohesive record.

Jesus Christ.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

breathwish wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I think this record is WAAAAAAY better than untitled. Hands down. There's no part of it that pisses me off. People who didn't care for the band before now love them because they're no longer in that weird blink "niche." They're more accessible. Mainly because Tom's annoying singing style is gone. It's a more cohesive record.

Jesus Christ.

Yeah, pretty much. It's ... yeah.

twitter

breathwish wrote:

Jesus Christ.

I know; it's weird encountering an opinion so different from your own

also that is a terrible argument against untitled
by your logic this is better than untitled too:

also from page 5 of this thread.

Elevator wrote:Just to put things in perspective, the Up All Night thread had over 100 pages of discussion - just for that SONG.

The Neighborhoods thread was over 300 FUCKING pages.

This thread's trajectory seems to be maybe 30, 50 pages? At best?

you were about right there.
Last edited by yodda on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skiba's verse in Only thing that Matters is meant to be like a mini-tribute/nod to this song, right?
I'm guessing because they realised the overall chord sequence and melody resembled it while they were writing it

(comes in at 58 seconds)

otherwise it's like crazily ripping it off.

They were ripping it off ironically

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

I think it's much easier to create an album that only a few people will like rather than an album that many people will like. But that's just me.

I think that in Boxing Day, they should've made a reference to Smash Mouth somehow.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:I think it's much easier to create an album that only a few people will like rather than an album that many people will like. But that's just me.

Explains why they put about 5 seconds of effort into California vs. a year's worth into untitled.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

That's what makes it so sad. They took a year on that record. Instead of trying to make it a balance and all on par with Feeling This, all they could do was make a compilation of random songs, angry songs, all mashed into one monster. They made an album that basically emasculated one member and sacrificed catchiness for a darker, more "mature" sound.

It's sad how most of Mark's contributions felt off and completely out of line on that record and then how oversaturated the album felt with Tom's over-the-top contributions. It didn't flow. At all.

They completely overthought that album. I remember hearing some of the way songs were originally while they were in the studio, and they just overthought everything and just made so many songs suffer because of it.
-Hot Water Music

I agree with Broc, but have neither time or will to fight off the horde of Tom-missing California-bashing untitled-loving fans. It's a fact that Mark was pushed to the sidelines and the record suffered from that. There were many cool ideas there, but there is a world of difference between Tom and Mark songs, and the final product was ultimately disappointing IMO. It's sad really.

Oh yeah, and I've read before how some people said their shows are a lot less fun nowadays. I strongly disagree. They sound like a band now. They make jokes, well Mark does at least, and it's funny, witty and in just the right amount. I've seen blink with Tom post-reunion, and Tom's contributions to their onstage banter were cringy, uncomfortable, sad and felt fake and artificial. So yeah, I'm really glad he's gone.

Elevator wrote:I won't actually contribute to the conversation in any way because I realize that blink is, unfortunately, so much better without Tom, but, rather than admitting that my idol ruined my favorite band, I will just change the words in posts written by people who don't agree with me, and who are actually articulating their thoughts logically and coherently, by editing them into something that kind of relates to what they said originally, but actually make it so they are mocking themselves so that I look witty, when in reality, I'm just showing that I'm unable to properly relate my thoughts because I know that I'm wrong, but I feel as though I have to express my inner frustration with myself in some way ...
:cheeky:

Regardless, I do find these edits amusing. I just had to do my own lol
-Hot Water Music