Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

yeah Bored To Death is still one of the weakest as far as I'm concerned, very bad choice for a first single. I think No Future would have made more sense. Its very poppy but not Rabbit Hole / SOOHM poppy and still sounds like a blink song whilst introducing skiba's style a little more plus the chorus is catchy as hell.

I can't enjoy SOOHM. I keep trying and failing it just grates on me so much.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:yeah Bored To Death is still one of the weakest as far as I'm concerned, very bad choice for a first single. I think No Future would have made more sense. Its very poppy but not Rabbit Hole / SOOHM poppy and still sounds like a blink song whilst introducing skiba's style a little more plus the chorus is catchy as hell.

I can't enjoy SOOHM. I keep trying and failing it just grates on me so much.

She's Out of Her Mind didn't stand out at first, but eventually I was like, "seriously fuck this soOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH WE ALL NEED, SOMETHIN' TO LIVE FOR YEAAAaaaaahaaaaaAAHHH"

I really like the "she's got a black shirt, black skirt, and Bauhaus stuck in her haid" part, too.

It feels very 90s.

-------

I have warmed up to Teenage Satellites as well. It bugs me that it's got Tom-esque space lyrics and pandering tone of teenagers being young and wild.

Matt kills the chorus, though, and I fucking love the bridge. Mark's lyrics in the bridge are probably my favorite thing he does on the album.

twitter

He must not realize how desperate he looks.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

It's a song with more production, that's something I think everyone can agree on. But for me, that's a good thing for a band like this in 2016. It's a song that retains their core identity as a band but pushes it forward with 2016 things. It's not a track stuck in the past.

It's also well-written. The aggressive feel and the production help accentuate darker message of the lyrics. It has a great vibe to it, and is one that fits with the supposed "theme" of this album.

I'm liking these songs less the more i listen to them tbh.

this album is definitely a blink album, but there are some songs that feel different in a 'new for blink but generic and not really new'. for example los angeles is 'blink does buttrock'. sober is 'blink does 2016 radio rock'.

neighborhoods and california are like night and day- two albums that are average and unmemorable for different reasons, like you took two halves of the band's flaws, seperated them, and let them stand on their own. one is underproduced, incoherent, and overthought/too much time spent on it. the other attempts to fix this by being overproduced, consistent to the point that many songs feel interchangable, and being rushed/having little thought put into it.

neighborhoods gave us: ghosts on the dancefloor, snake charmer as two legit good songs, plus sometimes fighting the gravity, up all night, kaleidoscope i might rarely come back to.

california gave us bored to death, brohemiam rhapsody (legit best song on the album), im guessing cynical though i still havent heard it, and plus hisalp in that maybe category.

neighborhoods has a slight edge i think despite being a mess, though both are like 5 or 6/10 albums with a few high points.

they should have stuck with that post-pop-punk sound. california is being praised as being catchy but imo just the drum beat alone from i miss you is more memorable than most of this material. but as i said this album shows signs of them still having it in them. feldman did a good job bringing them back to life; now they need a producer who is a better match to bring out something realky great out of them.

I think Feldmann in some ways is too agreeable. they need someone who would have actually challenged them and gone "Nope, thats terrible" or "Nope, you've done that already, make it better" it's one thing to have feldmann push past their confidence, but it sounds like he didn't challenge them enough - just stood in and wrote bits for them instead of getting them to get to the better song by themselves.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

The bass after the first chorus in TOTTM is such a massive blink throwback. Reminds me of something off Cheshire Cat I think. Just can't place it. But I like it.

Kinda think that could have been a fun album closer and a nice sentiment to leave on.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I wonder how pissed the band are that this leaked like a solid week early.

I don't think they'd be too pissed. Pre-orders have been up for months and they've been getting enough pre-orders to re-press more and more different colored vinyls. Besides, bands make the majority of their income from shows now. Nobody relies on record sales anymore.