Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

My favourite song on the album is cynical by far. So fucking cool. I might even go as far as to say it might be my favourite blink song of all time. Other ones I really enjoyed were kings of the weekend and left alone. I didn't enjoy 'California'.. 'Spending time inside together' wtf? But other than that I liked every song.

Does anyone else think the intro to cynical with Mark singing and the bass playing sounds a bit like red hot chilli peppers?
Sig by Djenni

Me neither, until this thing came out.

Can't set me up that easy.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

ADAMOSITY wrote:I just feel really bad for people who don't like this record. I couldn't ever imagine disliking a blink record.

I think it's easier for the people who don't really consider this a blink record to dislike it

I have basically thought of this from the beginning as a completely different band from blink just releasing a record together under the blink-182 branding. so it doesn't bother me that Tom isn't there in that regard, I just think it's a mediocre record either way

But I dislike neighborhoods quite a bit, so I guess I already dislike a "normal" blink album

frisky wrote:
ADAMOSITY wrote: I couldn't ever imagine disliking a blink record.

Being a mod on a blink forum and hating Neighborhoods was a really weird thing. I couldn't join in on everyone's joy.

You're a mod?

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Tim. wrote: I'll most likely add the few songs I like into my playlist and forget the rest of the album ever existed.

Just gave the album another listen and I agree. I think there are 3 songs I'll keep listening to: Home is Such A Lonely Place, Teenage Satellites, and The Only Thing That Matters. Maybe in 5 months, I'll come back to this album and I'll suddenly love every song. Who knows.

I only actually 'dislike' one or two. I'm not like "all these songs are amazing" but I'm not particularly offended by any of them... except SOOHM.

But California is turning into my favourite. I love the 3 california place tracks. Los Angeles, San Diego and California. I really can't believe people think the lyrics to California are bad, the song is about the album concept. people keep pointing out the 'spending time inside together' line as negative, but not when you think of the overall meaning. the whole juxtoposition of California being this beautiful place everyone wants to go to to make their dreams come true and they stay inside, don't know their neighbors, etc. It's actually really well done. the only bit of the song I find stupid is the na na nas. you took a song with a good premise then bloated it pointlessly, that annoys me. but the song itself is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

As for San Diego, Mark can say what he likes but to me thats about Tom. that chorus especially.

I think the biggest problem is Feldmann definitely, and I agree that the rushed songwriting has left for some weak concepts in places but I think there are some good themes dotted about.

I still can't decide if I like Sober, I'm mostly just confused by it. still not that fond of kings of the weekend and teenage satellites, Cynical is awesome for obvious reasons and I really enjoy No Future. Left Alone I keep forgetting about, it doesn't have anything particularly drawing for me.

Home Is Such a Lonely Place could have been a lot better and that makes me struggle really.

I like this album more than the AVA stuff I've liked recently, I'll say this much. I like it more than Dream Walker, but its a very mismatched record with lots of "huh?" moments to it. I think Feldmann was definitely a mistake, 100%. Matt didn't get to really contribute his sound and stamp to it, I genuinely don't believe he came up with half of these recycled guitar parts either. I wonder how much of this was just Mark. the worst part is people who don't like this record are going to blame the loss of Tom / the addition of Matt, but I don't think it's that at all. it's a shame, really. Mark's self confidence issues clearly got the better of him if he was that willing to hand the reigns over to Feldy.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!