Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

This thread is a dumpster fire. I guess to match the album.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

breathwish wrote:This thread is a dumpster fire. I guess to match the album.

Oh, to match untitled? Oh yah. I agree with you. Untitled is a dumpster fire.

There's no way you could have been talking about California ... an album about music they all adore and about a state all of the band members are passionate about, rather than an album that only one of the members seemed to actually be passionate about, especially Dogs Eating Dogs, seeing as only one member really seemed interested in making an EP that followed Tom's overall concept. My god. Especially Neighborhoods. They couldn't even agree on a sound .... every song is different. Like untitled .... hmmmm ....
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

*fart noise*

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:
Elevator wrote:I won't actually contribute to the conversation in any way because I realize that blink is, unfortunately, so much better without Tom, but, rather than admitting that my idol ruined my favorite band, I will just change the words in posts written by people who don't agree with me, and who are actually articulating their thoughts logically and coherently, by editing them into something that kind of relates to what they said originally, but actually make it so they are mocking themselves so that I look witty, when in reality, I'm just showing that I'm unable to properly relate my thoughts because I know that I'm wrong, but I feel as though I have to express my inner frustration with myself in some way ...
:cheeky:

Regardless, I do find these edits amusing. I just had to do my own lol

:lol: :lol:

I quote-edit your posts because nobody wants to read 600 words on how Mark's bland mainstream version of blink is better than anything Tom has ever or will ever do. The only other thing you post about is defending yourself from insults (generally from me), or high fiving the one or two other Mark blowjob posters that have made this forum a shitshow for months now.

twitter

frisky wrote:

I would hope not, just look at his taste in everything else.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

yodda wrote:Skiba's verse in Only thing that Matters is meant to be like a mini-tribute/nod to this song, right?
I'm guessing because they realised the overall chord sequence and melody resembled it while they were writing it

(comes in at 58 seconds)

otherwise it's like crazily ripping it off.

Definitely going with on purpose tribute. If I recall correctly, Feldmann actually got RBF a record deal back in the day. Plus it would not surprise me at all to hear that Mark and Matt were big fans of the band.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

yodda wrote:
PantaRhei wrote:California sucks, why are we even discussing this?

I just applied the old I–V–vi–IV pop progression (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I) to every song on California
And the progession is featured in some way or another in every single song.
Although to be fair the same is true of TOYPAJ

I'll take a look at that at some point. Sounds cool.

But, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. They were making a punk rock record, not trying to initiate the second coming of Christ through music. Just make fucking music. Don't try to make it something more. It just becomes washy as fuck. The only time it becomes more is when you just let it be.

Elevator wrote:I quote-edit your posts because nobody wants to read 600 words on how Mark's bland mainstream version of blink is better than anything Tom has ever or will ever do. The only other thing you post about is defending yourself from insults (generally from me), or high fiving the one or two other Mark blowjob posters that have made this forum a shitshow for months now.

That is very true. I have to defend myself from people who make blatantly ridiculous comments and go out of their way to say my view points are ridiculous but then refuse to back them up by either making fart noises or posting memes that somehow prove their point and apparently make me look like an idiot.

That being said, I would say that what has made this forum a shitshow for months now has been the people who are whining how bad this album is and how blink has sold out by making mainstream music. That's old news. They sold out in 1999. Their music became accessible in 1999. Their guitars have been shit since untitled ... yes, they have .... it's true ... get over it. Plus, blink live shows have been complete trash since the reunion. Yes, there was banter, but it was forced. It was awkward as fuck. People are saying this album is shallow and disingenuous and then you have Tom going out of his way to be crass as fuck on stage, and people say they want that back more than anything. If that's not shallow and disingenuous, then I don't know what it is. I just find it hypocritical that that is what people want to see at shows but when blink goes and makes an album that pays homage to punk rock and their earlier records, it's somehow a Cardinal Sin that has been committed.

Am I missing something?
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:blink goes and makes an album that pays homage to punk rock and their earlier records, it's somehow a Cardinal Sin that has been committed.

It's just sad. It's not even punk rock. It's pop. They made a pop album with guitars.

It's not like I hate California or anything, but it's got the shelf life of a marshmallow peep.

twitter

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:
yodda wrote:
PantaRhei wrote:California sucks, why are we even discussing this?

I just applied the old I–V–vi–IV pop progression (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I) to every song on California
And the progession is featured in some way or another in every single song.
Although to be fair the same is true of TOYPAJ

I'll take a look at that at some point. Sounds cool.

But, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. They were making a punk rock record, not trying to initiate the second coming of Christ through music. Just make fucking music. Don't try to make it something more. It just becomes washy as fuck. The only time it becomes more is when you just let it be.

Elevator wrote:I quote-edit your posts because nobody wants to read 600 words on how Mark's bland mainstream version of blink is better than anything Tom has ever or will ever do. The only other thing you post about is defending yourself from insults (generally from me), or high fiving the one or two other Mark blowjob posters that have made this forum a shitshow for months now.

That is very true. I have to defend myself from people who make blatantly ridiculous comments and go out of their way to say my view points are ridiculous but then refuse to back them up by either making fart noises or posting memes that somehow prove their point and apparently make me look like an idiot.

That being said, I would say that what has made this forum a shitshow for months now has been the people who are whining how bad this album is and how blink has sold out by making mainstream music. That's old news. They sold out in 1999. Their music became accessible in 1999. Their guitars have been shit since untitled ... yes, they have .... it's true ... get over it. Plus, blink live shows have been complete trash since the reunion. Yes, there was banter, but it was forced. It was awkward as fuck. People are saying this album is shallow and disingenuous and then you have Tom going out of his way to be crass as fuck on stage, and people say they want that back more than anything. If that's not shallow and disingenuous, then I don't know what it is. I just find it hypocritical that that is what people want to see at shows but when blink goes and makes an album that pays homage to punk rock and their earlier records, it's somehow a Cardinal Sin that has been committed.

Am I missing something?

No one expected blink to make their best record to date, we all knew they could never top Untitled. Stop turning people's arguments around. That's no excuse however to make an album this bad guitarwise. It sounds like they didn't even write guitarparts but rather let some random software program decide what powerchord progression would lead to the lamest most marketable result. Blink is no Beethoven but they should be able to write a single damn guitar riff (don't even bring that lame vocal harmony argument up again).

Blink didn't sell out in 1999, they sold out on July 1 2016 when they stopped progressing and trying new stuff and decided they rather continue as 182 seconds of summer. The fact that 5sos makes mainstream music is not the point, the point is that their music is really bad, just like the music on California. Not a single molecule of creativity.

Regarding your points about Tom: I personally wouldn't want him back, at least not unless he comitted 100% percent and pushed his other shit aside which will never happen. If he can't do that, I don't want him back. I care enough about blink for that. I also care enough to be critical if they release something really shitty like they just did. Personally, i'd rather see blink die than seeing them continue as some watered down blink coverband releasing 'homages to punk rock', a term that i'd hereby like to nominate for euphemism of the year.

I don't really buy into the narrative that Mark was straight up pushed to the sidelines on untitled. Yes, Tom was the driving creative force behind that album, but it is obvious from the Album Launch video and everything else that all three were all. in. to that recording process. Also, don't really understand why everyone has to take any strongly held differing opinion as "trolling" or indication that this thread is a "dumpster fire." Yea Broc can get passionate and a little snarky, but who cares? And that's from me, who thinks that Untitled was granted to humans from the heavens. No reason to get bent out of shape about it.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Elevator wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:blink goes and makes an album that pays homage to punk rock and their earlier records, it's somehow a Cardinal Sin that has been committed.

It's just sad. It's not even punk rock. It's pop. They made a pop album with guitars.

It's not like I hate California or anything, but it's got the shelf life of a marshmallow peep.

I wonder if there's a genre of music that fuses punk rock with pop melodies...

Christian wrote:
Elevator wrote:

I wonder if there's a genre of music that fuses punk rock with pop melodies...

twitter

Elevator wrote:
yodda wrote:you were about right there.

I am rarely wrong.

Yet, here we are.

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Well, Home Is Such a Lonely Place and California would be very difficult to pull off live. Sober I genuinely wonder if it doesn't have enough actual fucking instruments in it to bother playing, She's Out of Her Mind (which has been done at sound checks) is the next single so they're not going to start playing that live until it's released in October, No idea why they haven't played Left Alone or TS but TS isn't exactly worth playing live anyway. They've played everything else. tbh I've been impressed by how much of the album they actually have played live considering neighborhoods got like, what, 5 songs out of 14 performed live?

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!