Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

tbh i feel like mark shows improvement on the late show performance. the 'anything' and the 'and i' in the first verse were awful but overall he pulled it off. chorus sounded good when they were both singing. somehow the bridge still doesnt sound good even though it seems made for his voice, but it wasnt as bad as usual and he almost seemed to have figured it out by the end.

sidenote: the backing tracks are getting ridiculous. in i miss you and dumpweed for example you can hear the album guitar tracks through the whole thing and it's pointless and distracting

Christian wrote:From how they've all been describing Feldy in the studio, it sounds like he was more of a cheerleader than a producer.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way, that I heard and read them say it quite a few times, is the "Hey, you need a ballad" "You need more jokey verses" "We need a [INSERT STYLE HERE] song".

Don't get me twisted, I'm on the "this album is awesome and i'm liking it more everyday" half of the bunch in here, but I just cannot get around that fact. I seem to connect the album's weaknesses to this way of working. Maybe this time they needed somebody to work them a bit, but I hope they don't make this their default form of working. The album still feels genuine and cohesive to me, mind you, but Blink should just let it flow, especially now with the album doing so well and blink being spoken of on the music scene (or at the very little least igniting a discussion on rock-oriented platforms, like on this forum). like some of you guys said, the pressure is off, Matt is now an element fully, the possibilities open up even further.
We might even get that experimental jazz-punk-noise-funk-dream-trap-shoegaze-reggaeton-atonal-pop album that pushes the envelope that some of you want! ( ;p just kidding guys)
"I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange and a little bit manic..."

But back to talking about that #1 album position...
There's this definition "Fanbase Record". I read it on several places, it defines the craze/expectation for an album or single that upon release takes it to the forefront of sales, quickly dropping shortly thereafter.
Is this the case for California?
I wonder how many weeks, if weeks at all, will this album remain at the top spots of the charts.
"I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange and a little bit manic..."

It'll be off by next week.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

ramirin wrote:But back to talking about that #1 album position...
There's this definition "Fanbase Record". I read it on several places, it defines the craze/expectation for an album or single that upon release takes it to the forefront of sales, quickly dropping shortly thereafter.
Is this the case for California?
I wonder how many weeks, if weeks at all, will this album remain at the top spots of the charts.

this is exactly what will happen. this will do slightly better than neighborhoods, which generated buzz for about five days before dropping off sales a lot and then leaving little lasting impact outside of serious blink fans

I think it will do quite a bit better than neighborhoods. If billboard's actual website is correct, Neighborhoods was only on the charts for five weeks. That's awful. I think this album has more staying power (not enough to be at the very top for weeks, but enough to maybe be in the top 100 for a little while). There are some very radio friendly songs that could get some decent radio play. We'll see.

I have a lot less hope for their next release than I originally did. Because the album was a commercial success, they'll think they did this the right way, so they'll just continue in that manner. at least neighbourhoods being a technical failure was evidence to them they needed to try a new approach - this is just going to confirm for them that this is the way to go. and that kind of blows.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

To move away from all of the recent negative comments for a second, I gotta say that Matt's explanation of the song California really defines who he seems to be as a person. Someone who is down to earth, just LOVES punk rock and is continuously humbled by the people around him and therefore thankful for the people whose lives he can be a part of. He just comes off as someone who sees blink as this amazing force that he can't believe he's in or doesn't view as just another project. He seems just really stoked to be a part of everything. It's truly insane. Not to gloat or anything, but one time when I got to interview Matt Skiba for a bike story (which was never published because the editor is an asshat), when leaving the concert hall to go see his bike in the garage, Matt had to stop and take a photo of the Alkaline Trio marquee over the convert hall. He was like "Even after all these years, I'm still so fucking psyched to be in a band people care about. I'm like a little fan girl or something." Really chill dude ....

Anyway, I have a feeling that blink won't go this route again with their next album. I really don't. I feel like this was a very crucial time in their career and they needed to do something right. Their last album didn't do well and they lost a founding member. They needed to get back on the tracks. To do so, they had to drastically change their approach. Well, now they're back on the tracks. Now they can just plow on through. I'm not saying they should've have a producer. It's a good idea to have one. But I think this has given them the boost they need to feel like they can do it "alone." Also, even though they all got along in the studio, they still needed to build a "strong" relationship that can only be really tested on the road. After this tour, they'll have it down. I have a feeling that once they get back in the studio, they'll just hit the ground running.

Maybe I'm being to optimistic? I don't know.

I just know that Matt's explanation of California was just so fucking rad as hell. I'm so glad he's in blink ....
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Elevator wrote:That's fine. Charts were always going to have blink fade out. They got their #1 and the overall run will be successful, so no matter about the charts anymore.

In other news the song I hated right out of the gates, Los Angeles, is quickly rising to be one of my favorites on the album.

Im in the same boat.... It was the one song I felt had very little place on the album, especially that early on sandwiched in between SOOHM and SOBER. But it grows on me. I especially love the end of the song.

I still think it sticks out. But Im starting to appreciate how it breaks up the pop. Its like a sore thumb, but its like a sore thumb you're glad to have. (if that makes any sense)

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

I'm surprised a lot of people's reactions towards Los Angeles. I was sure people would embrace it because it's so experimental-y, and that's what made self-titled stand out so much to most of you.

But I do see what you're saying that it "sticks out." The flow from SOOHM to Los Angeles to Sober doesn't bother me though. Like Kenobi said, it breaks up the poppiness of the record. I think it does that well. Plus, it's one of the few darker songs on the album which really makes the album that much more well-rounded. Without it, and the album wouldn't be as strong. That being said, removing a song like Teenage Satellites wouldn't disrupt anything. That or Kings of the Weekend (even though I love that song). They don't really add anything to the album at all, sound-wise. But lyrically, I think Kings of the Weekend is essential due to the mention of punk rock.

Even though Los Angeles isn't one of my favorites, it fills a much needed space in the record.

A song that's been growing on me hardcore is San Diego. I don't know why it wasn't one of my more favorite songs at the beginning. I love Mark's verses. And dat bridge! FUCK!!! Pretty powerful, especially when the guitars come slamming in.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

My favourites haven't really changed, although I think No Future has gone to the same heights as LA. I still love California and San Diego. Cynical is good, as is Kings Of The Weekend and TOTTM. Sober, Left Alone and Teenage and Rabbit Hole are just kinda "meh" or "alright" to me now, Bored To Death and SOOHM can die in a fire.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!