Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

plopbellie wrote:Yeah, but if someone came in here and said 'You got to admit, fall out boy is doing really well right now. Going #1 in both the UK and US is a big accomplishment.' everyone would say, 'yeah, but only because they made mainstream music.'

Guys, thats blink now......

The music fall out boy put out is unrecognizable next to their old stuff. Yeah, blink's new stuff may be a bit poppier and mainstream, but it still sounds like blink.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's "pop." Wouldn't ever label Smells Like Teen Spirit or Heart Shaped Box as pop songs but they were huge. Those to me are examples of what blink used to do for the most part: write what they wanted and the people came to them. Here, it's the other way around. They seem so desperate to have some hit song that they write to trends rather than setting them and seek the help of co-writers, something I always thought they were above. blink was one of the few more popular groups/artists (alongside Weezer (at least with Pinkerton, maybe not so much with their lesser stuff), Nirvana, Kendrick Lamar, etc.) that I considered to separate themselves from the tricks that the rest of the "pop" music industry is defined by. That (alongside the just straight up bad music) is why I hate this record so much. I think it's a betrayal of every thing I thought they stood for. Signing to a major label is not selling out, but getting co-writers and making music just so it will sell well is. It's also why I dislike TOYPAJ; that record is pretty close with stuff like First Date and The Rock Show, which to their own admission they wrote just because the label wanted more hit songs. That's why their move to what they did on the untitled record and later Neighborhoods and DED sat so well with me. And above all this, it doesn't help that the songs are just plain bad, in my opinion.

Also, this is a good review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLDUp1DAsf4

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Music is like any other art form. Its made in many different ways. Most movies, tv shows are made by teams of 100s of people. Music can be gelled together by multiple people. I honestly can't say it sounds smart to hate an album soley based on how it was created. I think for what California is, its a great album. Does it hold the ambition of untitled? Or the magic that album brought? No. But part of me is glad we only got one album like that. It makes that particular album more special. Untitled was done at the right time in all their lives. The conditions were just right to bring about that album. Based on each of the current schedule of all members even if Tom was involved we'd never see that album level again!

And Weezer is a bad example of "under ground" mentality song writting. In my mind Blue Album was a one time thing. Sense than Rivers has been on a non stop course of trying to become the White Male Beyonce in the pop music world. A chart topper...

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:And Weezer is a bad example of "under ground" mentality song writting. In my mind Blue Album was a one time thing. Sense than Rivers has been on a non stop course of trying to become the White Male Beyonce in the pop music world. A chart topper...

I'll stand by Everything Will Be Alright In The End as an amazing album.

twitter

Just feel the need to clarify because im so hopelessly shallow. I never said those were bad albums. No question EWBAITE was Weezer' s album in 18 years. Did enjoy the others. Far more poppy then Blue Album or EWBAITE but not bad...

Curious what the next California "single" will be. Like gets the music video treatment. If they even do another one. Curious how much longer they will keep promoting the album online and such.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Music is like any other art form. Its made in many different ways. Most movies, tv shows are made by teams of 100s of people. Music can be gelled together by multiple people. I honestly can't say it sounds smart to hate an album soley based on how it was created. I think for what California is, its a great album. Does it hold the ambition of untitled? Or the magic that album brought? No. But part of me is glad we only got one album like that. It makes that particular album more special. Untitled was done at the right time in all their lives. The conditions were just right to bring about that album. Based on each of the current schedule of all members even if Tom was involved we'd never see that album level again!

And Weezer is a bad example of "under ground" mentality song writting. In my mind Blue Album was a one time thing. Sense than Rivers has been on a non stop course of trying to become the White Male Beyonce in the pop music world. A chart topper...

I think Blue Album-Pinkerton is in the same boat. After Pinkerton, Rivers apparently got severely depressed because of the negative reviews/poor sales that I think he really retuned his writing style to become as successful as possible. I think he's the guy who had a whole binder detailing writers like Cobain's "methods" so he could figure them out and write the best pop songs. The White Album is a good record though...

I agree that even if Tom were in the band, we wouldn't get something like Untitled. But I'm happy with Neighborhoods and would much prefer that to this. I know other people feel differently though, and that's fine. I really don't like this record and I've been somewhat of a dick about it, but if you dig it, that's cool. I recognize that I'm a very weird blink fan and am not going to agree with most people that like them. I do think that this lineup can make a good record if they get away from the process they had on this one.

On the positive side, this album did get me listening to blink for the first time in probably 2 years. I've been listening to Untitled, Neighborhoods, WYHSB, and Sekret Machines a lot and I've even been watching the MTV Album Launch.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Weezer was a great example from that Fantano guy
Weezer made what blink made this year so much better. Fun riffs, memorable choruses, sing-along solos, a variety of styles and downbeat songs that weren't over the top just understated.
If you listen to Rivers on this short podcast called song exploder (http://songexploder.net/weezer) you hear his process and how much effort he puts into his craft and that to me is the difference between Weezer (White Album) and California - two albums that on paper are quite similar, but one is executed with a lot more effort and pay off.

Waggy wrote:
plopbellie wrote:Yeah, but if someone came in here and said 'You got to admit, fall out boy is doing really well right now. Going #1 in both the UK and US is a big accomplishment.' everyone would say, 'yeah, but only because they made mainstream music.'

Guys, thats blink now......

The music fall out boy put out is unrecognizable next to their old stuff. Yeah, blink's new stuff may be a bit poppier and mainstream, but it still sounds like blink.

This is my sentiment as well.

When I listen to FOB's post reunion albums I think "That is Fall Out Boy?" While California makes me think "THAT is blink-182." It's fun, its catchy, it's energetic, and it fits naturally into their discography IMO. Pop-punk isn't the mainstream giant that it once was. The fact that in 2016 blink churned out an album like this is to me the exact opposite of selling out. It's sticking to your guns and having fun at the same time.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

"There's professional songwriters in this, therefore this is a hardcore sellout" just drowns in layers of fallacy. Great artists have had input from outsiders and brilliant albums have come out of it.
Hey! now that you're on about Weezer, guess who used them prominently since the mid 00's? Rivers, that's who. And they got bullshit like "can't stop partying" to real rockers like "back to the shack".
"They're going the fall out boy route, that's exactly why right now they're #1" HAVE YOU HEARD THAT SH*T? There is no way you can even COMPARE those songs to the blink album. Blink, overpolished as it unfortunately sounds, it's still blink. In an FOB song you could just replace Patrick with Taylor fuckin Swift and it would make zero goddamn difference. Everything reminiscent of a grave or a cork tree has fully vanished.

Fantano does not like the record for reasons that I partially agree on, especially the production. That took major points away for him, that plus he wasn't very excited for the songs, yeah I see why he's not into it.

But let's not divert from the point here. If you don't like the record, fine. But let's not get super apocalyptic or arrive to fully fledged conclusions.
Ever since they separated from Tom it looks like they took ONE and one route only: Making music they like and touring it. Songs you may like, others you may not, but there is no evidence of a major plan for blink to become Billboard darlings or anything. There's only music.

Sucks to be the guys who don't like the record watching it do so well.
Lucky I'm not one of 'em. Still, the only thing this guarantees any of us is that there will be more blink-182.
"I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange and a little bit manic..."

Sorry I personally offended you lol. Relax.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

breathwish wrote:Sorry I personally offended you lol. Relax.

I don't believe any of the comments that came after were trying to spite you of felt attacked by you - or any of the guys that don't side with the album.
Like with anything the opinions are divided, and each of us is trying to give and defend their view on every aspect regarding the subject.
In this particular case, the record going number one and how will its success affect the future of the band (If it even does).
"I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange and a little bit manic..."

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:I'm enjoying the album. Never understood the term "over-produced". The term makes no sense to me. How can something have too many production values? Especially if comparing this stuff to Neighborhoods or to anything AVA. Those song are full of randomly found pro-tool sounds.

It just sounds too polished sometimes mayne. Too perfect, too boring. Not enough roughness.

That's the feldmann style tho. He kinda looks how his production sounds.

Spoiler: show

The album has it's faults.

But to consider it some soulless cash grab to popularity just doesn't make any sense to me, purely because Mark seems genuinely happy in interviews and shit for the first time in like ten years. This is the album he wanted to make, it's the route the whole band wanted to take. Selling out implies doing something against your artistic integrity for popularity reasons... but if they wanted to write glorified pop music anyway, then is that really shameless at all?

They wanted to write some fun songs like they did 20 years ago... so that's what they did.

And yeah, the album isn't their best. it's also not their worst. it's got high points, low points and meh points. It's a solid release that some people can find enjoyment in and some can't.

What's good about this release doing well is that the pressure is off. Matt is accepted, they have 'redeemed' their place in music history, so now whatever they do next is purely up to them. if they wanted to just have a fun record because they haven't had the opportunity to do that in so long then there's a good chance that their next record might actually be in a different direction.

Also for everyone who claims untitled was their magnum opus and that its one of the best albums ever made - you know the majority of people outside of blink fans totally don't care or see it that way, right? regardless of I Miss You, blink is still blink. untitled didn't change their history in the eyes of the average joe, it didn't build them up to some higher state of respectability.

It changed them internally, but to the music industry they are exactly the same band. this isn't some huge 180 to them, this is just them actually getting somewhere again. tough pill to swallow but it's true. We consider it their turning point, their masterpiece, but I don't see much evidence that they actually see it that way. it's something worth considering.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!