Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

I'm continuing to love this album more than anything else blink has done in a long time. It's arguably more blink than anything post-TOYPAJ, just when it comes to vocal sharing. Yes, you would have some shared songs like Feelin This, Boxing Day, Natives etc., but, throughout this record, both Matt and Mark sing. Even when a song is either Matt or Mark heavy, the other singer AT LEAST gets the bridge or a verse. That is what blink is truly about, and why songs like Pathetic, Feelin This and Man Overboard has resonated with so many people.

It just amazes me when people say this doesn't sound like blink, one, for that reason, and, two, because it doesn't sound like self-titled. Let me just say that self-titled, while many loved it, didn't sound like blink just by looking at all of their previous releases. This album is more blink, again, than anything post-TOYPAJ. Again, you might not like it, but I don't agree when people say it doesn't sound like blink.

Even though people are upset about the throwbacks, I actually wouldn't have minded even more throwback references. Even though it's not one of my favorite songs, one of the best lines is "Thank God for Punk Rock Bands." Blink began as a punk rock band. It's who they are. And, unfortunately, Tom was pushing blink away from that. Now, with Tom no longer in the picture, I can't blame them for embracing that sound and mentality altogether. It's almost cathartic to the point where they're like, "Damn, we no longer have this buffer. Let's sing about and sing like the bands we grew up loving."

Now, with that said, I think that Brohemian Rhapsody should've been a full song. That intro is fucking glorious, and I find myself replying it over and over and over. I really hope that, when and if another album comes out, that they embrace that type of instrumentation WITH the insane layering of vocals.

And I remember reading awhile ago how this album didn't work because all of the song structures were the same left me befuddled. I feel that this album actually goes beyond all other blink songs in that regard. Before this album, only Apple Shampoo, didn't have a chorus. It was just a song with multiple parts. And then Cynical comes along and joins ranks. There's an intro, a "verse" and then an outro twice, or, to say another way, Part A, Part B and Part C and Part C.

And that's not even mentioning the songs which (usually embraced by metal bands) where the second verse is sung (or in some metal band's cases screamed/growled/or, in the case when the first verse featured unclean vocals, sun) differently than the first. Blink barely did that before .... if they even did. I can't even remember of an instance except Dysentery Gary where Mark sings a verse.

So, again, you can not like the album, but when you say it doesn't sound like blink, I believe (while I won't say you're wrong) the evidence doesn't agree with you. As i've said previously, this album would've made more sense if it preceded self-titled. But, alas, it didn't.

I have so much more to say, but I'll just leave it at that.

EDIT: Plus, Mark really stepped up with his bass. I'm actually more excited about that than guitar licks. He throws in some bass chords (which I haven't heard in a long time, the only one of consequence, being in Carousel) and even some "intricate" parts as well. It was a truly great experience. Like I said earlier, I would've liked more songs like Bro Rap guitar-wise. But, damn, they stepped it up vocally with great harmonization in every song that actually puts in a lot more effort that guitar riffs, in my opinion, especially when they are so layered.
Last edited by Broccoli_Apocalypse on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Elevator wrote:California has sold just about 99,952 in its first 6 days of release, 103, 452 including streaming services.

source

On Billboard:

Hot Rock Songs - 13 (Bored To Death)
Rock Airplay - 2 (Bored To Death)
Rock Digital - 27 (No Future)
Alternative Songs - 1 (Bored To Death)
Mainstream Rock Songs - 8 (Bored To Death)
Top 200 Albums - 163 (Greatest Hits)

source

More:

http://kworb.net/itunes/artist/blink-182.html

twitter

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Whats funny Interscope considered that 150,000 poor. Which caused tensions between the band and the label.

Curious what BMG's expectations were...

The irony in the whole release of Neighborhoods was that if Interscope wanted better sales, they should have promoted the reunion and album better, which it notoriously lacked.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Different time, different circumstances. If it goes number one on the billboard 200, I'm sure they're happy. The marketing is a million times better for this album. Everything about neighborhoods sucked in my opinion. The way it was recorded, the way it was released, the marketing and press. Just wasn't up to par with the standards they should hold themselves to.

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:Whats funny Interscope considered that 150,000 poor. Which caused tensions between the band and the label.

Curious what BMG's expectations were...

Tbh, it was five years ago, it's not a come-back album, I wasn't really expecting high sales tbh. pop punk is not popular right now and they're not riding on the coattails of "they're back!"

Plus both albums leaked meaning a lot of people wouldn't have bothered to buy them.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

doitforthekids wrote:I like Sober way too much.

I hate being sober too much, but I love the song Sober way too much, too hahaha

Fucking love that song. (Y)
-Hot Water Music

Sober's verses are the best on the album. Just two unique stories about small moments that feel like they come from a real place. There's specifics and detail that aren't in other songs at all and don't use a lot of metaphor: Matt's referencing a true story about being a drunk bicycle messenger and Mark likely a silly romantic night with his wife. We don't have to ponder the meaning of anything, it's all right there.

twitter

Elevator wrote:Sober's verses are the best on the album. Just two unique stories about small moments that feel like they come from a real place. There's specifics and detail that aren't in other songs at all and don't use a lot of metaphor: Matt's referencing a true story about being a drunk bicycle messenger and Mark likely a silly romantic night with his wife. We don't have to ponder the meaning of anything, it's all right there.

Yah, I like that, too. Storytelling is always a great technique in song writing. That's when Mark has been at his best .... Don't Leave Me, Wendy Clear, etc. etc.

But at the same time, I also like to ponder about what a line might mean if I care enough about the lyrics. That's part of the experience.

But to each their own.

I can say that I agree very much with the clearness of the song making it so strong.

That said, I LOVE the line "I'm a dandelion, you're a four-leaf clover." In fact, my wife actually loves that line, too, probably due to the fact that she loves plants and the like, but she appreciated what it metaphorically meant to her, too. I feel that's the strongest part of the song, to be honest. That line is great as fuck.
-Hot Water Music

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I think that line is *awful* but that's just me.
I'm not a big fan of the song in general but the chorus gets stuck in my head a lot. It's "alright" it's on the list of "meh" tracks on this album for me, right next to Left Alone and Teenage Satellites.

I can't stand Teenage Satellites haha It's my Aesthenia, I think. Just don't like it. The only one I repeatedly skip.

The only thing that bothers me about Left Alone are the noises at the beginning. Other than those few seconds, that song is just epic. Plus, dat chorus, man.

I feel the dandelion/four-leaf clover line works so well, for me at least, because the four-leaf clover reference ties in with that light nod the song makes to Celtic melodies. It's just that extra icing on the cake. I love how they threw in the hand clapping and I like the sung parts that are "echo-y/distorted", too.

Just an overall great song. The "na nas" work really well here, too. Catchy part.
-Hot Water Music

Waggy wrote:
Dookie wrote:Anyone else notice the "he-he" background voice in Home is Such a Lonely Place? Nice little touch.

Where in the song?

It's very faint, at the beginning you can hear it muffled in the background. It's a soft but muffled voice. It's throughout the song too, but it's easier to hear it in the beginning.

And she said... wrote:I never would have caught that without you.

Dookie, we're lost without you ....
-Hot Water Music

After 2 weeks of repeat listening, my quick two cents song-by-song:

Cynical
- Wow, what an opener. Right in line with classics like Carousel, Pathetic, Feeling This, etc. Love Matt’s “What’s the point of saying sorry now”. 4.5/5
Bored to Death
- The single. Maybe already a little overplayed by me but still an awesome song that made me very excited for new blink. That bridge. 4/5.
She's Out of Her Mind
- This is a total throwback to when I listened to TOYPAJ for the first time, my first ever CD I bought. Fun, energetic song that wants you to sing along and go skate/ski/surf. 5/5
Los Angeles
- The most Untitled-like song on this LP for me. Definitely represents the dark underside of Cali that Mark was talking about. Highlight is the change of pace for the bridge and the whole thing after. 4/5
Sober
- I’ve got a hate-love relationship with this song. Hated it on first listen but it got stuck in my head after that. This is where I’d tell them that popiness has gone too far, tune it back to the punk side. 3/5
Built This Pool
- Short and fun.
No Future
- Blink-182 in 2016 for me. Catchy fun, with a bit of underlying anxiety. First time the nananas start to get a bit over the top. Highlight Matt on the bridge. 4/5
Home Is Such a Lonely Place
- Knowing the background story to the lyrics makes this song definitely stronger. Better than After Midnight, not as good as I Miss You or What Went Wrong. 3.5/5
Kings of the Weekend
- At first this and Teenage Satellites sound like one long song. In the Rollercoaster category for me. Fun, enjoyable but not exceptional. 3/5
Teenage Satellites
- Most blink records have a song around track 9/10 that ends up being my favourite of the whole thing e.g. Reckless Abandon and Asthenia. This is also the case here, bloody love this one for the reason best described as it feels right. 5/5
Left Alone
- Interesting one. The most Tom-like song maybe? Has grown on me. 3.5/5
Rabbit Hole
- Can see why the band sees this as a crowd favourite at shows (once the change the setlist :P) Energetic and I’d love to sing the last bit at a concert. Ohohohohohoh 4/5
San Diego
- Again, knowing the reasons to the lyrics make the song so much better. Great song overall. Highlights are again the bridge and Matt :P 5/5
The Only Thing That Matters
- Dude Ranchy feel to this. Bit of a filler but still enjoyable. 3/5
California
- Not feeling it. A bit like Love is Dangerous, won’t jump to the remote to skip it but also won’t specifically go looking for it to play. Great drums at the end though. 2/5
Brohemian Rhapsody
- I want that Riff as an actual song!
Hey, I’m Sorry
- Shame they buried it as a bonus track. Great harmony between Mark and Matt like on the whole album. 4/5